Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure.........

Originally posted by dholt View Post
    The list I'm working off until the mid 90's was provided by Craig Bowman.

I trust the Zen Master.

Plus, I'm pretty sure I remember myself Begier winning BSH in 1987.

Matt, I do remember you driving BSH there and being very fast. I actually have that Propeller magazine at home from '87 Nationals. I'll check it out.
    I know i won CSH and 25ssh in Hinton 1987. I remember that i lost out on the trifecta due to Bob Howe in BSH. Oh well, who am i to argue with Mr Bowman!!

Comment

The Great Shanon Bowman indeed

And considering where Dave Dewald and Billy Allen are today and what they've each done in the interim, I'd say Shanon was quite the influence on those two- pushing his boat back from inspection just primed them for greatness.
      64W & 22B

Comment

Best sounding real BSH Hot Rod (not the emasculated 15 ci ones nowdays) had to be Jeff Ruenzel in 1984. He was a new racer at his first Nationals. His dad bought him a new B&H boat and a new Dave Little Hot Rod. He had Dick Engler do a little magic on the motor and tested a couple Wiatrowski props and absolutely killed everyone at the Nationals. I believe he won the first heat and was really excited waiting to run the second. We tried to calm him down and tell him who he had to watch in the second. He started cautiously in the second and worked his way up to second behind Jeff Hutchins. We had told him that he could stay behind Jeff and win the race but Ruenzel passed Hutchins on the outside. (wouldn't we all wish we could have done that!) When he came in he said he knew he didn't have to pass Jeff but he just wanted to do it.

A great Stock Outboard story- new racer, first Nationals, new equipment and he won. His party after the banquet cannot be explained in a PG setting!

Comment

Originally posted by DiGia54D View Post
          Begier could of had 3 in a row, But believe he jumped one of his 2 heats in the finals Pa in 89. Then I think he stopped racing right after
          Not that the propeller is always right but here is what it says....

Begier fouled a plug and didn't make it out the second heat.

Giles won the first heat and got a 3rd overall.
          "Ask anyone, I have no friends. I do have some people that put up with me and mostly because they like the rest of my family"

Don Allen

Comment

Fast 20H

As a kid growing up around racing I always remember Red Rush out of Clinton, Iowa. He ran a 20H on a Hedlund hydro. Loved the sound of those toilet bowls screaming down the river. Red was one of the fasted in the mid-west. He always had that Hedlund hanging about a foot off the water.
            DOUG SCHULTZ--HERE FOR THE SUPPORT OF OUR SPORT

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Dagostino View Post
              I know i won CSH and 25ssh in Hinton 1987. I remember that i lost out on the trifecta due to Bob Howe in BSH. Oh well, who am i to argue with Mr Bowman!!
              According to the propeller Volume 41, Number 10, Oct 1987 ..

BSH was won by William Begier II with a 1st and a 3rd. Second went to Bob Howe with two 2nds and 3rd went to D'Agostino with a gun jump and a 1st.

Man these were nice magizines back in the day
              "Ask anyone, I have no friends. I do have some people that put up with me and mostly because they like the rest of my family"

Don Allen

Comment

Propeller

Originally posted by Big Don View Post
                According to the propeller Volume 41, Number 10, Oct 1987 ..

BSH was won by William Begier II with a 1st and a 3rd. Second went to Bob Howe with two 2nds and 3rd went to D'Agostino with a gun jump and a 1st.

Man these were nice magizines back in the day
                Your garage must look like a library having the Propeller back that far........guess we won't have to worry about having the Propeller Magazine or Rule Books around anymore to clutter things up!!

Comment

76-Vern Kargus

In '76 at Hinton, we had maybe 600-700 entries, Vern Kargus was the only one running a three blade prop. I could see the handwriting on the wall, if there were 600-700 entries and one three blade, three blades were the future.

Vern seemed to be a hell of a nice guy. He's won the Nationals in Guntersville, Alabama in 1962. So '62 to to '76 was a few years.

At the '62 Nationals, Monty Gibson had finished second to Vern, Monty had a new Sid Craft and was running 1:1 gears. I finished 2nd in CU, Monty used my CU prop to finish second is BSH.

In 1961, Jeff Fritz won BSH. It may have been the only BSH race Jeff ever won. My dad sold Jeff's dad, Jeff's B Sid Craft. My brother had bought a prop from Merilyn Culver for his D Hydro, but my brother couldn't pull it. So, we sold it to Ernie Dawe for a "B" Kit wheel.

Ruben Dawe had worked on this prop on a trailer hitch in Needles, while the GREAT Jimbo McConnell watched.

Jeff Fritz borrow this prop in Guntersville and it tested well. Jeff won the Nationals, going away, with it.

It was a brass wheel, and the first race after the Nationals, Ernie "Pitched a blade" off this National Champion wheel.

Comment

I only met Vern once...1976 after he won… I was 17. (I had just gotten my first New Smith BSH 2 blade in the mail the week prior) Region 6 was betting on the winner of the finals in all the classes…I took Vern. I walked down to inspection and couldn't believe what I saw on his prop shaft. I asked Don Sr how do we get one of those and he said he had no clue but I should ask Papa Smith about it. In inspection I went over and congratulated Vern and talked for about 30 seconds. While in inspection this young lady caught my eye (Vern daughter Krysti), the rest is history 3 years later…

Tom and I tell Donny, if Grandpa Vern were still around you would have better equipment than we do now.

Shame our kids never got to know their Grandpa.

Don Allen

Comment

So, Harold Berghauer

So, Harold Berghauer would have been your kid's great grandfather?? Wow, my dad and Harold were the best of friends.

Comment

Yes he was. Another great guy. I was lucky to get to know him. Grandma "B" was awesome lady. Always enjoyed our time with them.

Don Allen

Comment

Beiger won in '87. 1st and a 3rd beats two seconds ... at 10 years old that was a hard one for me to understand.

- Jim Howe

Comment

Two seconds vs 1st & 3rd

Originally posted by 5-A View Post
                            Beiger won in '87. 1st and a 3rd beats two seconds ... at 10 years old that was a hard one for me to understand.

- Jim Howe
                            Boy, I know that heartbreak well. In 1960 at Beloit, Stan Armstrong won CSH with a 1st & a 3rd. I was 2nd with two 2nds. The first heat was won by Don Christy who was using Chalie Piper's motor as it had the padded cylinders just as the 4 time CSH winner Bob Browns did. After the 1st heat I asked my fathere where Dick O'Dea finished in the first heat. He said Dick was 3rd, but we were pitted up near the dam by turn 2 & Dick was 3rd out of the last turn. Unknown by my father Stan passed Dick by the time they reached the finish line. So in the second heat it kind of got a bit more windy & rough, Christy stuffed & spun, Bob BRown stuffed so I worked my way up to Stan's roostertail & calculated the poits & said that's all I needed. My pit crew as well as myself tthought I had won. I immediately saw Stan's mom & asked where Stan finished the 1st heat & she said 3rd. I knew immediately he had won. Just goes to show, in the nationals, always go for the checker.

Comment

C Block

John, the C padded block was legal at this time? Why did only a few people have them? I have heard many rumors about them over the years, some people say they did not exist because so few people ever saw one. The only one i really know of, got DQ. at a NOA AM PRO Nat's around 69.

Comment

What year was the last Merc 20H ?

Comment

Working...
                                X