New OSY400 time line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New OSY400 time line

Does anyone know the exact time line for the new Euro style OSY400 class to take effect and what will be the final US version.. Example: will it be beach starts, hull size and requirements, and I gather engines will be truly stock as they came from Japan with kill switch set ups??
    Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

I received a ballot in the mail last week, proposing a three-phase UIM conversion. If voted in, and if and only if the membership of the class does not decline 10% (I think), Phase 1 will implement a 396lb minimum weight as well as (optional) jetty starts. I believe if the ballot passes, the rule will take effect April 31 (again, I think.)

Someone else should know more.
    28-R

Comment

Originally posted by HydroKyle93R View Post
      I received a ballot in the mail last week, proposing a three-phase UIM conversion. If voted in, and if and only if the membership of the class does not decline 10% (I think), Phase 1 will implement a 396lb minimum weight as well as (optional) jetty starts. I believe if the ballot passes, the rule will take effect April 31 (again, I think.)

I guess this is not a sure thing then.. I guess we will wait and see what happens.. Thanks Kyle

Comment

The (3) year plan is to align the ABPA OSY-400 class closer to the UIM version of the OSY-400. The reason for a gradual change (3 years) was to mitigate any risk of losing drivers if all of the changes were incorporated in one year.

Year One Proposed Changes:

For OSY-400 it is suggested that a “Jetty” start method be used at all races. Except in the situation where the race site would not support this starting method as determined by the race committee. All divisional and national Championship races are to use the “Jetty” start method.

396 lbs. minimum weight with boat, motor, and driver.

Year Two Proposed Changes:

Remove the ability to shape the gear foot and shave the cylinder head. Must run stock cylinder head and gearfoot.

Year Three Proposed Changes:

Make UIM kevlar cockpit sides required.

It is not exactly aligned with the UIM version of the OSY-400 because I think if we did that almost all CSH motors would be illegal. The way the rule is proposed would allow CSH drivers with a stock gearfoot and a cylinder head to participate with minimal effort. (box stock motor would still be very competitive).

To be honest I'm not sure if the ballot is voting for the first year proposed changes only or all three years. Only year one changes were discussed at the national meeting. I think these changes could really give the class a boost it needs and really distinguish itself from the other Yamato classes. Everybody should vote!

I have the complete proposed rule changes in a word document if anybody would like to see them.

Thanks,
        Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mike_280 View Post
          The (3) year plan is to align the ABPA OSY-400 class closer to the UIM version of the OSY-400. The reason for a gradual change (3 years) was to mitigate any risk of losing drivers if all of the changes were incorporated in one year.

Year One Proposed Changes:

For OSY-400 it is suggested that a “Jetty” start method be used at all races. Except in the situation where the race site would not support this starting method as determined by the race committee. All divisional and national Championship races are to use the “Jetty” start method.

396 lbs. minimum weight with boat, motor, and driver.

Year Two Proposed Changes:

Remove the ability to shape the gear foot and shave the cylinder head. Must run stock cylinder head and gearfoot.

Year Three Proposed Changes:

Make UIM kevlar cockpit sides required.

It is not exactly aligned with the UIM version of the OSY-400 because I think if we did that almost all CSH motors would be illegal. The way the rule is proposed would allow CSH drivers with a stock gearfoot and a cylinder head to participate with minimal effort. (box stock motor would still be very competitive).

To be honest I'm not sure if the ballot is voting for the first year proposed changes only or all three years. Only year one changes were discussed at the national meeting. I think these changes could really give the class a boost it needs and really distinguish itself from the other Yamato classes. Everybody should vote!

I have the complete proposed rule changes in a word document if anybody would like to see them.

Thanks,
          Mike
          Thank you for the info Mike.. If time permits I hope to start playing with a boat design for the jetty starts for kneelers and Laydowns.. What exactly is required for the cockpit sides? .. Are there any specs required on the boats other than rounded sponson tips?

Comment

I tried to find this info on the UIM site, but couldn't find my way around it. I do believe the crash throttle has to have some kind of enclosure around it as well
            Sean Byrne

Comment

Sean you are right the rule books are ALL hard to use..I don't know why they are not set up by class so that you can go to the class and get all the rules for it in one spot from weight, hull specs and motor specs.. Would make a lot more sense to me..

Comment

Your best bet is to get in touch eith Bob Wartinger and he'll give it to you syraight
                Sean Byrne

Comment

http://www.uimpowerboating.com/vsite...-0-file,00.pdf

See pages 272-275.

For a kneel down boat the cockpit walls need to be 17" tall at the front. There can be a cut out that is only 12" tall and 36" long.(most kneel downs are close and can modified without a kevlar arm guard)

All hydroplane hulls in classes O 125, O 175, O 250, O 350, OSY 400 must have
                  reinforced side protection as shown in the sketches.
                  All dimensions are minimum unless stated. Measurements taken from inside of
                  hull from solid floor on which the driver lays or kneels (no cushions). Reduction to
                  the front side panel is permitted for vision or to have vision panel installed.

On kneelers the amount of cut out to keep stabilisation is as per drawings and no
                  reduction at front.
                  Cockpit coaming sides shall be made of wood/Kevlar, wood/Kevlar/carbon, or
                  alternatively, carbon/Kevlar/foam core/glass composition. The Kevlar composition
                  layers add up to a minimum of 340 grm. (10 oz.). The Kevlar (and carbon, if used)
                  shall be sandwiched between two ore more layers of marine plywood and provide
                  a minimum thickness of 9 mm. All composite coaming construction shall have a
                  minimum of 9 mm thickness. An inspection area shall be provided in the cockpit
                  side in order to determine that the required materials have been used. It is
                  recommended that this area be a set of concentric circles starting with an
                  approximately 25 mm. diameter and reducing in diameter as each layer of the
                  construction lay-up is exposed.
                  For retrofit of existing boats, reinforcement shall be 2 layers of a minimum of 315
                  g Kevlar material to total 6 mm minimum thickness. This should be bonded to
                  clean wood, free of varnish, paint, etc. Alternatively, a panel fabricated as
                  described in the paragraph above, meeting the dimensional requirements, may be
                  bonded to the interior surface of the existing cockpit sides to provide
                  reinforcement.
                  All hydroplane hulls with pickle forks must have sponson leading edges of a blunt
                  surface that is a minimum of 25 mm radius in one direction. Minimum thicknesses
                  are as shown in the drawing. If extensions of the pickle forks are used, it must
                  have deformable pickle forks for a minimum length to give an exposed blunt
                  surface when removed that is a minimum of 25 mm radius in one direction.

Comment

Thanks Mike.. It all makes sense except not sure about how they want the holes in the cockpit sides.. I guess you cut them thru the inside layer of Okoume so that they can see the kevlar sandwich

Comment

Originally posted by HydroKyle93R View Post

Only APBA could have a new class starting on April 31
                      Untethered from reality!

Comment

Remove the ability to shape the gearfoot??? I hope that means RE shaping and not cleaning it up. The stock gearfeet I have worked on were kinda lumpy and if not dressed down to the stock outboard template handled like crap.
                        carpetbagger

Comment

I would hope that stock means stock..They should keep the grey area out of this class!!

Comment

I found the exact rule on pg280 of the UIM rule book and it reads as follows:

It is absolutely forbidden to make any alterations to the engine manufactures std components either by removal or addition of material..In particular this includes components being subjected to any form of machining, grinding,hand tooling, reworking, reshaping, polishing etc............

I guess that says it all..I like it

Comment

Originally posted by blueskyracer View Post
                              I found the exact rule on pg280 of the UIM rule book and it reads as follows:

It is absolutely forbidden to make any alterations to the engine manufactures std components either by removal or addition of material..In particular this includes components being subjected to any form of machining, grinding,hand tooling, reworking, reshaping, polishing etc............

I guess that says it all..I like it
                              Okay, so the UIM prefers to ignore safety since I believe cleaning up a lower unit under APBA rules and keeping said lower until clean was a safety issue. Having driven dirty (lumpy) units and clean ones I agree.

Of course I'm not sure what speeds are expected in the OSY 400 class. Less than 60 the stock (lumpy) lower may not be an issue. And over the years maybe Yamato figured out how to produce nice gearfeet.
                              carpetbagger

Comment

Working...
                              X