Participants to join UIM OSY 400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Participants to join UIM OSY 400

I've had quite a few good conversations about my proposal to convert USA OSY 400 into UIM OSY 400. I'm still working out details, but essentially within a period of three years, UIM rules would be in full effect.

http://www.hydroracer.net/forums/showthread.php?t=22548 for a quick background.

My biggest concern is the drop in entries once the rules begin to change. This is the Pro category’s largest class and many local clubs run OSY as a compliment to CSH to produce a decent amount of additional income. Second concern would be that in 3 years there would not be a full field at the Nationals.

I’m looking for 25 individuals (if this passes) who are willing to commit to build, maintain and race (or have someone race) an OSY setup here in the USA. I understand that 100% commitment is impossible, but please be honest with yourself before you commit. If you don’t want to be identified just email me and I’ll make note; here’s a start:

Participants
    1. John Peeters
    2. Aaron Salmon
    3. John Wlodarski
    4. TBR 1
    5. TBR 2
    6. Bill Allen
    7. Kyle Bahl
    8. Team Pavlick 1
    9. Team Pavlick 2
    10. Dean Sutherland
    11. Rachel Warnock
    12. MSR 1
    13. MSR 2

I will be offering a comparison spec sheet on the 302 later (sorry 102 owners, doesn’t even seem that there is an OSY inspection manual for those motors).

Most current boats can be modified to meet UIM rules: Round tips, reinforced sides, raised sides, hand-protector, etc. I would like to identify builders across the USA that if you take your boat to them, they will update your boat to current standards for a flat fee. Builders please contact me if you are interested to be put on this list or racer send me contact names of your favorite repair man and I will directly call them.

Qualified Builders, set cost to be determined
    1. TBR

Suggestions, let me know, thanks, John Peeters. Jp(at)johnpeeters.com
    Last edited by guedo499; 11-28-2011, 01:43 PM.
    http://vitalire.com/

Won't you be using beach starts. Then mods to the boats will be a necessary item to consider.
    Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

If you can get this approved, TBR Boats will field 2 or 3 rigs.
      Nic Thompson

www.tbrboats.com

Comment

Once I finally have my composite boat finished (uim compliant) all I would need is a motor.... After 3 years this could be doable for me.
        Kyle Bahl
        20-R

"He didn't bump you, he didn't nudge you, he rubbed you, and rubbin' son is racin'!"

Comment

Good luck guys, this is a step in the right direction. There is a lot that can be gained by taking this class--and even the whole PRO category eventually--in the UIM direction. That's our best shot at taking American hydroplane racing big-time. Rock on dudes.
          Ryan Runne
          9-H
          Wacusee Speedboats
          ryan.runne.4@gmail.com

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"--Albert Einstein

These days, I find it easier to look up to my youngers than my elders.

Comment

Uim osy400

Guedo,
            Love the idea!

Put us down for 1 rig, but we hope to have 2 rigs between Pavlick, Allen, Olson, Shep and maybe Pater.

- Mike

Comment

Originally posted by pav225 View Post
              Guedo,
              Love the idea!

Put us down for 1 rig, but we hope to have 2 rigs between Pavlick, Allen, Olson, Shep and maybe Pater.

- Mike
              Team Shep's driver needs to work on grades and attitude before he can step up-He's turning into a Kyle Busch

Comment

If you guys are interested I have original copies of the UIM Homologation Sheets for the Yamato 102 and 202.

Comment

Spec sheets

Mike
                  Will you send me a copy of the UIM sheets.
                  Tom Cronk
                  3528 Lori Lane N.
                  Lakeland,FL,33801

Comment

I would be interested and would build a rig if I had people to race against.

Dean Sutherland
                    12M

Comment

Originally posted by CSH12M View Post
                      I would be interested and would build a rig if I had people to race against.

Dean Sutherland
                      12M
                      Dean, where would you race? Where I'm going with this question is that it seems that many clubs around the US don't race S/M/P like we do here in the NW at the same race, but race but only one or two categories, what would be a possible solution to that?

Comment

Good Question,

The Pro Nationals and maybe the off weekend in Region 7 if they ran it. Even if I only raced it a few times, I probably would put one together. I like what Billy and Tony are doing with the USA Team. I think if we ran the true UIM class rules maybe we could build the class into more of a World Wide class.

If it ever really grew you may be able to build individual races around only it? Three hour program with qualifying and some sponsorship?

12M

Comment

Originally posted by blueskyracer View Post
                          Won't you be using beach starts. Then mods to the boats will be a necessary item to consider.
                          Yes, I hope Lemans starts will be used, but according to the UIM rules, clocks starts are legal. As for modifications to the boats for Lemans starts, I have no idea what needs to be done, and I guarantee, no one else does. Forget how they build in Europe, our courses here are quite a bit different. I foresee a hybrid style of boat yet to be created to be the dominate style.

Comment

Racing OSY

Dean
                            You can come race OSY with us in Region 7!

- Mike

Comment

Originally posted by guedo499 View Post
                              Yes, I hope Lemans starts will be used, but according to the UIM rules, clocks starts are legal. As for modifications to the boats for Lemans starts, I have no idea what needs to be done, and I guarantee, no one else does. Forget how they build in Europe, our courses here are quite a bit different. I foresee a hybrid style of boat yet to be created to be the dominate style.
                              If you watch the Europeans race with the Lemans start it is also won or lost most of the time at the start.. Most of the mods to the bottom are made to get the boat on plane the fastest without slowing the boat down once it is on plane. Also the boats corner much faster with the CG being lower with the driver laying down..In Europe I don't know when the last race was actually won in a kneeler OSY400 boat..

It seems like if anyone was thinking about going across the big pond to play they would be more competitive if we were running the same game here.. They could also come here to play to..
                              Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

Working...
                              X