A Winter Project that Supports SO/Kneeldown Growth in 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Winter Project that Supports SO/Kneeldown Growth in 2012

I like Scott Deware’s (dissertation) post #24 to the “This how the money given to Crown Partners should have been spent” thread in the general Hydroplane & Runabout discussion area. http://www.hydroracer.net/forums/sho...t=22459&page=2 I really like it. Not only do I really like it, I agree with it.

While Scotts message articulates some very good activities and actions we could all take to support our sport, all I kept thinking was ‘he is talking about exposure; a positive and relevant image”. It is about everyone doing their part or what they can, to promote the sport while having some fun with it.

In the sunrise of our race boat trailer upgrade plan this fall we went through a long debate over what type of trailer to get; open or enclosed. One of the primary drivers for me (yes, singling myself out suggests dissention amongst the team) was the ‘visual’ aspect an open trailer can have on exposing the sport and the subliminal ‘low cost/low burden’ message a humble trailer can send.

On the way back from Wakefield this summer we spent a day in Mackinaw City. Our trailer coupled to our truck in the parking log seemed to be a magnet for every father-son or otherwise racing enthusiast walking to-from and past. While sitting in the hotel breakfast room the next morning watching this ‘interested traffic’, the notion of a placing a ‘dispenser’ on the trailer that holds cheap tri-fold informational flyer came to mind as a secondary offensive move towards exposure.

While enjoying ourselves at the late August Dayton OH race a few weeks later, we must have had no less than 20 people stop in front of our pits asking with enthusiasm…when does the racing start? How long will you guys be running today? Are you racing tomorrow? Are those hand built? What kind of motor is that? While I have seen interest before at other sites I have never see some much passer-by interest stop and ask. It probably had something to do with the urban setting along with the way the pits are set into the park relative to the road. We used up all the MHRA 2011 Wendy’s sponsored Top Gun Racing Series program magazines we had left in our trailer. As I was hand writing internet addresses on scrap paper to hand to those asking, my thoughts floated back to the tri-fold literature flyer that came to mind in Mackinaw: how expensive could those be to produce?

While the APBA has some literature in the resources tab on its website, it is my opinion that it is to general and broad scoped; it is not ‘focused’ enough to SO/Kneel down racing to get maximum impact. Thinking about it, I get the feeling that its generalities could have a cooling effect on any enthusiasm a prospect might have on the spot or after he/she gets home because it does not show exactly what they saw (or could see) at a kneed down race site.

With the winter months heading towards us it is my intention to explore the opportunity to design a SO/Kneeldown flyer that can not only be handed out when inquires are made also but pinned to bulletin boards and such. My vision is a template that any SO club can use by just pasting their logo and info into so it could be used universally across the category nationally. Keep me honest here and ping me for updates so I don’t get lost in….procrastination Oh, yea…we got some videos to produce next year also.
    Raymond

Have you or your team set up a social network page yet? Do your part to expose and promote the sport when you’re not racing and create a presence online today.

When I had my bussiness before retiring I had flyers printed up at Staples for 35.00 a thousand. The ex would design the flyer and take there and pick the color paper. I used a company to distrubate them in a different area each week for 50.00 and would always get a couple jobs out of them. They were simple one page flyers with the company logo,what work could be done and a picture.
    Destiny is a matter of chance,it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.

Comment

Dispenser

Raymond,

"the notion of a placing a ‘dispenser’ on the trailer that holds cheap tri-fold informational flyer came to mind as a secondary offensive move towards exposure".

Great idea.... similar to what Real Estate uses on their For Sale Signs.

Propose this to APBA. APBA could have them made and have them available.

The ones on Real Estate Signs are obviously already available.

Thanks,

Dean...........................................
      sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

QR Codes

Better yet ... add a QR code to the side of your boat or trailer to allow interested party to quickly download information about boatracing to their smartphone ...
        Untethered from reality!

Comment

SSOA in Region 1 has a hand out with our race dates and contat info . Bob Cronin printed a few for me and I used my home printer on heavy paper to make up a batch . Also we have buisness cards I had printed fo $ 20.00 and Jack has "Hero cards " from Jeanie Tenell to pass out. All cheap to do and provides a professional way to pass out info.

Comment

Great ideas, let’s keep them coming.

Always remember what you hand someone is the basis for their perception of you, your club and the sport overall. Remember the following;

Inexpensive does not have to be “cheap.” - Make sure to spend the extra dollar for quality printing, paper and clear colors.

Use a motorsports printer - Printing flyers at home is good in a pinch, and local printers are good for event ad books, but for a sustained marketing program (and that is what you are talking about) use a commercial printer that does motorsports. A motorsports printer is going to be cost effective because they know the look you want and probably already have a format that they can plug into. They know what looks are outdated (like checkered flags all over the place), and will get the job done with minimal effort.

Use the correct format for your message –

A two or three fold is a great idea for a formal message. - Keep the printed information to a minimum and let photos provide the message. Explain what a runabout and a hydroplane are but don’t try to explain all the classes, that’s for the event ad book or the club website to do. Just explain that some classes go as fast as XXXX MPH and there is racing for everyone from the age of nine and up. Then show pictures of every age group and include women. Don’t try to explain how a race is run, just a few facts – “sprint cars on water” or “short track racing on water”, use what you feel will connect with people in you part of the country.

A “Hero Card” format is a great quick read - I feel that at a race event or display (we are all doing mall, boat show and events displays…right?); a hero card is a better format. They do not need to be the big 8.5 X 11 (better but more costly); you can always just do 5X7 cards. They are simple, made with a sturdy stock, and with a collage of photos on the front and a great banner text, then some basic information on the back – like a schedule and how to find more about this cool sport – you can accomplish the primary goal of directing an interested person to a source of information. The one thing when using this format is that you need to direct the person somewhere, like a website…a good website…..an updated website. Do not use a person’s phone number, this may change, the officers of a club will change, use your website….you can always have the contact information there and change it as needed.

Don’t print too many to save a buck on volume - If you use a bi or tri-fold format don’t get caught trying to save a buck by having too many printed. Volume is good, but you want to make changes each year. Update photos, new information, A SCHEDULE OF EVENTS (even tentative). Just changing around some of the colors can make it look fresh and new. Next thing is get them out to people. You should never hear anyone say at the end of the year….”we don’t need any new brochures; I have a bunch of them.” Get them out. Give them to your friends, display them in your businesses, in race towns ask to put them in event stands, put them in stands at restaurants and rest stops. Be creative and get the message out. At race events, have a table with information. If you do not have the manpower, make a display board that can hold information for dissemination and have information posted on it. And keep a list where you put them (all of your event sponsors, hotels, restaurants, town hall, etc.). Check and see if people are taking them. If not adjust the volume (don’t give up, even one taken from a display could be valuable), and when you print a new batch….change them out! Yes throw away the old ones. Do not have old and outdated information representing you (this is as bad as a website that is not updated). Also, you never know, if these locations are not event sponsors, they may become one from your interaction with them.

Business Cards – Business cards were mentioned and I think this is also a great idea. Every club should print generic cards and every member should be given some. But again I feel that there should be no phone numbers but a website direction. This again brings up the point…does your club have a website that you would be proud to have a newbie look at? If not, why? Last point on business cards, if the current officers or other members want cards with their name and phone number on them, fine – but maybe they should pay for that customization.

I know this posting started about brochures so I will keep it there and not go off on my feelings about websites. So one last thing….Driver Hero Cards.

Driver “Hero Cards” – everyone should have driver hero cards. Any type. I have seen cards like a deck of playing cards that were very effective. Also cards with tear-off coupons. Any format will do, but if you are going to do them, do them correct and once you have them get them out to people. We used to even give them to all the toll takers during a trip. If you go to a NASCAR race you will see them everywhere. With them you may decide to promote your club “champions” with an announced autograph session (you really need something to sign when you do these). They should be available on that new information board at each race event, and available at those mall displays, and especially next to each trailer and boat at the race site. And make sure that you have plenty of medium point Sharpie’s. A funny thing can happen when you have cards….people sometimes actually look at you like you’re special and ask for your autograph…it really is cool.

Scott Deware

Comment

Thank you Scott,

More good stuff.
              Raymond

Have you or your team set up a social network page yet? Do your part to expose and promote the sport when you’re not racing and create a presence online today.

Comment

GREAT STUFF Scott...Mike, Sam...hope you've seen this!!
                Roger A 68M
                Team Casual

Comment

Working...
                X