X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Love the clock start

Comment

All

Threads like these are the reason why myself and the rest of the Crown Partners team are 100% EXCITED to be a part of this program. There are great ideas being discussed and thrown around in this thread (and others) and we are certainly trying to listen, take notes, and act on them. You guys are the experts in your sport, and we're working to facilitate the changes that will make a difference.

As it was said earlier in the post we will be looking beyond just "Digital" initiatives into traditional marketing programs, promotions, working on racing schools, and getting more resources to clubs to help them promote the sport.

It is our goal for the digital initiatives to open up revenue streams and cost savings in order to focus on what really brings people to the sport - getting people in a boat and allowing them to experience the thrill for themselves. We've just published a version of our 2012 business plan for the APBA on the social community, and I would encourage everyone to check it out and provide some feedback - Here's a the link to the thread with the plan attached. http://social.apba.org/discussion/20...ebusiness-plan

(feel free to repost/attach to this thread, and distribute to other members in any way you would like!)

We are definitely watching these boards and the APBA social community for great threads like this one and we want to encourage debate, additions, approval and/or criticism of the program. This thread has both positive and negative views of the overall direction, but it is all very productive - which is great.

I'd encourage anyone who has ideas or wants to help along the way to email apba@crownpartners.com to get involved or post on the APBA social community. We try
      to stay up on all the boards, which is why I wanted to comment on this thread, and we will continue looking for members input and help in the coming 3 years.

Thank you for your comments and ideas, and thank you to the folks at Hydroracer for providing the platform and facilitating these great discussions, you guys are awesome.

Kind Regards,

Nick Kuzmick
      Crown Partners

Comment

Stockholm Syndrome ??

What do you think Mr. HRTV? Is this thread a Stockholm Syndrome experiment, or do I have the wrong thread? Just wondering.

Regards,

Paul

Comment

Propeller to Itunes

How about geting the Propeller in the new newstand of I-tunes?

We give it away for free and I will read just about any magazine for free on my ipad!

Who can make this happen? Crown? There are only about 20 magazines even offered now. Imagine the exposure!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Nkuzmick View Post
            All

Threads like these are the reason why myself and the rest of the Crown Partners team are 100% EXCITED to be a part of this program. There are great ideas being discussed and thrown around in this thread (and others) and we are certainly trying to listen, take notes, and act on them. You guys are the experts in your sport, and we're working to facilitate the changes that will make a difference.

As it was said earlier in the post we will be looking beyond just "Digital" initiatives into traditional marketing programs, promotions, working on racing schools, and getting more resources to clubs to help them promote the sport.

It is our goal for the digital initiatives to open up revenue streams and cost savings in order to focus on what really brings people to the sport - getting people in a boat and allowing them to experience the thrill for themselves. We've just published a version of our 2012 business plan for the APBA on the social community, and I would encourage everyone to check it out and provide some feedback - Here's a the link to the thread with the plan attached. http://social.apba.org/discussion/20...ebusiness-plan

(feel free to repost/attach to this thread, and distribute to other members in any way you would like!)

We are definitely watching these boards and the APBA social community for great threads like this one and we want to encourage debate, additions, approval and/or criticism of the program. This thread has both positive and negative views of the overall direction, but it is all very productive - which is great.

I'd encourage anyone who has ideas or wants to help along the way to email apba@crownpartners.com to get involved or post on the APBA social community. We try
            to stay up on all the boards, which is why I wanted to comment on this thread, and we will continue looking for members input and help in the coming 3 years.

Thank you for your comments and ideas, and thank you to the folks at Hydroracer for providing the platform and facilitating these great discussions, you guys are awesome.

Kind Regards,

Nick Kuzmick
            Crown Partners

Nick,

Considering the fact that once you leave HydroRacer.Net, Boat Racing Facts and other powerboat racing related web sites the average American or European John Doe has absolutely no idea what a racing hydroplane is. Knowing this I agree that the task you folks have taken on is a huge one. It’s actually hard to comprehend how an association that has been in existence for so long as manage to stay alive this long.

I have to wonder if there is even sufficient funds available to build a brand which is basically unknown out side of the inner circles of current racers, a few select fans and their families.

Clearly you have guys have a vision and I respect you for taking it on but how does one even begin to build a presence where there is absolutely zero knowledge base outside of the few select cities that host major H1 events etc...

I hate to say it but given the current global economic down turn and all the other challenges facing American families today I honestly feel that you might be embarking on what I consider to be a huge insurmountable challenge.

Best of luck
            Last edited by HRTV; 10-13-2011, 03:07 PM.
            HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV

Comment

Originally posted by Original Looper 1 View Post
              What do you think Mr. HRTV? Is this thread a Stockholm Syndrome experiment, or do I have the wrong thread? Just wondering.

Regards,

Paul
              Pattie Hearst

Thats ruff--but maybe

Comment

Originally posted by brian View Post
                How about geting the Propeller in the new newstand of I-tunes?

We give it away for free and I will read just about any magazine for free on my ipad!

Who can make this happen? Crown? There are only about 20 magazines even offered now. Imagine the exposure!!!!!!
                Great idea!

Comment

I've often wondered why Propeller wasn't sold on newsstands and bookstores. Well, I think I found the answer... It takes a lot of bucks to employ a staff of reporters/writers; ad solicitors; and distribution hacks... not to mention several people who are in charge of keeping the dogs paws in the dirt.

There's no way for the limited staff we have at APBA HQ to ram-rod a full-blown magazine effort plus keep up with all the points tabulating and awards recognition programs they are saddled with... aint no way!!

This "Crown Partners" experiment may or may not bear fruit. Personally, I have signed on to the "social" network and I find it too freaking busy to navigate right from the get-go. Perhaps I am just slow.

But, I'll leave this post with this final comment: WE need Propeller.. Monthly. And WE (as in all the Regions) need to have good inputs to it. I am proud of the "Region One" articles and inputs. They are fun to read and informative... not just boring recaps. I will also ad, that the efforts of Tana Moore laying out the photos and articles has made the magazine the best possible.

Alex
                  the Mad Russian DSH 8A (used to be 12A but that's now the rent-a-Dee..w/power steering!!)
                  SO Commissioner, Region One
                  Last edited by ram95; 10-14-2011, 07:01 PM. Reason: gotta push that power steering for us senior citizens to keep em in the cockpit

Comment

Propeller Magazine is a niche or industry publication designed to be distributed to people in the industry (or sport). There are hundreds of similar type publications dedicated to clubs, organizations, trades, and other niche needs. There is nothing wrong with this. The vast majority of the articles and information is not going to be what will attract the general public or even the boating public. It is not written or published in a format that is really designed to attract outside readers (there is a science as to how publishers layout magazines to get and keep the readers attention). Propeller does a very good job at getting information that is interesting to members out to members, as it should. I do however agree that it should be a monthly publication or at least six to eight publications per year. I know that the argument today is that print is dead and everything should be digital. I agree that we need a digital format (Propeller on line), but I also feel that the print version, at least for now has a value. Print has a permanence that on line does not. Yes, the digital version is always stored away, but as much as the marketing world would like to think that we are all spending ten hours a day on our computers on line, I think that right now we would find that the majority of our sport does not have time to sit and read an entire publication on line. And, I don't know about the rest of you, but I do not have a computer in my bathroom (sorry...reading room).

If we want to impact a national audience and rebuild the APBA brand lets start by trying to reconnect with national boating publications. Not that long ago we had several boating publications that would regularly publish articles about different boat racing series and categories. We may no longer have APBA officials that are the directing forces in major boating industry companies, but we must have someone out there with some pull that can help us re-establish APBA within the boating industry. Also, like a broken record, I again reach out to the clubs and regions. NASCAR looks at a 300 to 500 mile radius when it gauges its potential draw for events. We’re more like 30 to 50 miles. Let’s make the most of this range. Prepare press releases, stories and photos about your upcoming events and get them to your local, state and regional tourism departments. Local cable TV….kids publications…senior publications….Use your imagination. Have them available so that these events and stories can be included in their print and online seasonal publications. This means getting them out early. Even if an event is tentative. Maybe getting the word out early will be what is needed to get that additional revenue (also called sponsorship) needed for an event. Same thing with monthly regional publications. Do your home work and build from the foundation up.

Lastly, I agree with Alex 100%. We need Propeller, but only if it is kept fresh, informative, and entertaining. The only way that is going to happen is if we all contribute. If we cannot contribute in a literary way, then lets all contribute by providing support and encouragement to the people who have taken on the responsibility of communicating to the rest of APBA the individual accomplishments and great things that our clubs are doing to promote our sport.

Scott Deware
                    SSOA
                    Region 1

Comment

another vote for propeller

the propeller is something that should stay every month. the idea that we might only get it every 3 months is a poor idea. we know memberships are going up in the future. why not let us keep the one thing we all really enjoy.
                      Last edited by Team 12R; 10-17-2011, 04:44 AM. Reason: x
                      Bill Dingman "The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

Comment

Scott

You do have a very good outlook about boat racing.
                        We have not been in the public's eye for many years. I have pointed out many times the fact that the first APBA boat race was held off Long Island were I live and yet I never seem to find anyone in the boating world that has heard of APBA--sure they have heard of Mercury,suzuki,Honda evinrude and other MFGer's but not APBA.

Some of your ideas have been implemented at select races within the USTS,can't speak for other categories here as the fact that I never go to other category races. I do believe that Hartford,Winnona,Menomnie,and Inverness as well as Lake Wales have and will continue to be what I call and Event for the USTS and APBA. The Nationals although well attended by Spectators as well as Constatine are more races for the drivers (great times)

It is not a coinsadince (spell check aain't working) That Event races are near larger metro areas and racer races are not.
                        The only other Events that I know of in the kneeler categories is Lock Haven.

Like your Ideas we need you on the Board and Next year you are stuck with my Write in.

Pat Wright
                        Pro Commissioner

Comment

Rudder Magazine November 1975

Originally posted by Scott Deware View Post
                          Not that long ago we had several boating publications that would regularly publish articles about different boat racing series and categories.

Scott Deware
                          SSOA
                          Region 1
                          Here is an example of photos that accompanied an article in Rudder Nov. 1975.
                          Attached Files
                          Tom Burwinkle
                          11-K
                          sorracing.yolasite.com/

Comment

I like this format;

http://flipflashpages.uniflip.com/2/33833/105799/pub/
                            HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV

Comment

nice pictures tom!

Nice vintage photos Tom, Shouldn't ALL runabouts be ROLL-UP?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Deware View Post
                                Propeller Magazine is a niche or industry publication designed to be distributed to people in the industry (or sport). There are hundreds of similar type publications dedicated to clubs, organizations, trades, and other niche needs. There is nothing wrong with this. The vast majority of the articles and information is not going to be what will attract the general public or even the boating public. It is not written or published in a format that is really designed to attract outside readers (there is a science as to how publishers layout magazines to get and keep the readers attention). Propeller does a very good job at getting information that is interesting to members out to members, as it should. I do however agree that it should be a monthly publication or at least six to eight publications per year. I know that the argument today is that print is dead and everything should be digital. I agree that we need a digital format (Propeller on line), but I also feel that the print version, at least for now has a value. Print has a permanence that on line does not. Yes, the digital version is always stored away, but as much as the marketing world would like to think that we are all spending ten hours a day on our computers on line, I think that right now we would find that the majority of our sport does not have time to sit and read an entire publication on line. And, I don't know about the rest of you, but I do not have a computer in my bathroom (sorry...reading room).

If we want to impact a national audience and rebuild the APBA brand lets start by trying to reconnect with national boating publications. Not that long ago we had several boating publications that would regularly publish articles about different boat racing series and categories. We may no longer have APBA officials that are the directing forces in major boating industry companies, but we must have someone out there with some pull that can help us re-establish APBA within the boating industry. Also, like a broken record, I again reach out to the clubs and regions. NASCAR looks at a 300 to 500 mile radius when it gauges its potential draw for events. We’re more like 30 to 50 miles. Let’s make the most of this range. Prepare press releases, stories and photos about your upcoming events and get them to your local, state and regional tourism departments. Local cable TV….kids publications…senior publications….Use your imagination. Have them available so that these events and stories can be included in their print and online seasonal publications. This means getting them out early. Even if an event is tentative. Maybe getting the word out early will be what is needed to get that additional revenue (also called sponsorship) needed for an event. Same thing with monthly regional publications. Do your home work and build from the foundation up.

Lastly, I agree with Alex 100%. We need Propeller, but only if it is kept fresh, informative, and entertaining. The only way that is going to happen is if we all contribute. If we cannot contribute in a literary way, then lets all contribute by providing support and encouragement to the people who have taken on the responsibility of communicating to the rest of APBA the individual accomplishments and great things that our clubs are doing to promote our sport.

Scott Deware
                                SSOA
                                Region 1
                                It was the summer of 1984, while reading Trailer Boats magazine I came across an article in Speed-n-Spray about boat racing that started my entry into the sport. Without that magazine article I would most likely be into motocross or go-karts...

One analogy that scared me about Crown was their comment about IRL's comeback. I'm a motorsports junkie that DVR's almost anything with an engine, but IRL has been a joke for over 15 years, thanks Tony George (and no, I haven't seen anything that even remotely resembles an IRL resurgence).

I have not talked to one person that thinks 4 issues of Propeller is a good idea...

Comment

Working...
                                X