Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This how the money given to Crown Partners should have been spent

http://www.sowetanlive.co.za/goodlif...p-powerboaters

New internet messages boards and a brand new digital office will not do a **** thing to bring in new drivers from disadvantaged backgrounds. These are the types of programs that money should be spent on. I am fully aware that MHRA and other clubs are doing this out of their own back pockets; my point is this type of program should be a full blown huge nation wide campaign funded 100% by the APBA. The message needs to be taken off the internet and into the streets via a rolling transport. The internet is saturated with tons of messages boards which all have done have great job promoting the sport. Now is the time to put asses in the seats.

In my opinion this is where every dime the organization has ever made should be spent.

"Seeking to address the scarcity of powerboat racing pilots"
    HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV

Any type of Promoting-Marketing-advertizing. is a risk.
    A wise man once said if I can pay for it after it works here is a blank check.

No such thing so this is another expermiment by APBA, is it what I would do nooo. But what I would do APBA does not have anyway near the money for my Idea or any other type of campain that will work.

Comment

Originally posted by HRTV View Post
      http://www.sowetanlive.co.za/goodlif...p-powerboaters

New internet messages boards and a brand new digital office will not do a **** thing to bring in new drivers from disadvantaged backgrounds. These are the types of programs that money should be spent on. I am fully aware that MHRA and other clubs are doing this out of their own back pockets; my point is this type of program should be a full blown huge nation wide campaign funded 100% by the APBA. The message needs to be taken off the internet and into the streets via a rolling transport. The internet is saturated with tons of messages boards which all have done have great job promoting the sport. Now is the time to put asses in the seats.

In my opinion this is where every dime the organization has ever made should be spent.

"Seeking to address the scarcity of powerboat racing pilots"
      So your saying we need to market to disadvantage youth who have no money??? who is going to pay for that?
      Gene Schertz 26V
      TEAM CAFFEINE
      Cranked up and ready to Roll
      Reeds for Speed!

Comment

Maybe.....

"So your saying we need to market to disadvantage youth who have no money??? who is going to pay for that?"

Maybe some of that money earmarked for Solyndra? I don't think they'll be using it. Just a thought.

Cheers.

Comment

Sorry..I will have to disagree w/Mr. Lawrence...Racing (no matter what kind) is expensive, disadvantaged youth are not the future of APBA..Really Dan...
          Roger A 68M
          Team Casual

Comment

Originally posted by 26V View Post
            So your saying we need to market to disadvantage youth who have no money??? who is going to pay for that?
            Not necessarily, remember that same rolling transport can also make a huge impact in mostly affluent neighborhoods, schools and university.
            HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV

Comment

More MercCubs?

Anyone seen the tremendous influx of drivers after the MercCub program came to fruition?

Comment

Originally posted by Affholter66 View Post
                Sorry..I will have to disagree w/Mr. Lawrence...Racing (no matter what kind) is expensive, disadvantaged youth are not the future of APBA..Really Dan...
                I don’t disagree that racing of any type is going to be an expensive venture; my point is that the money is being spent in the wrong place. The internet has become over saturated with powerboat racing related web sites all posting the same information.
                As stated in my original post its time to get off the internet and put the money in the streets in front of the youth. Regardless of social status or income the message is not being spread in the real world.
                HTML Code:

Comment

You want a rolling transport that advertises power boat racing? Load up you open trailers on a Saturday or Sunday and head out for a little drive around town. Stop at Bass Pro Shops, Little League ball fields, Gander Mountain or Cabellas to name a few. See how many people stop by to ask about your boats. Coming back from Wakefield it took me forty minutes to get out of the Cabellas parking lot in Dundee, MI. EVERYONE wanted to know about the boats. Have some APBA literature with you; I didn't unfortunately.

Open racing trailers are great advertisements.......they're not just for race weekends!

My opinion.

Comment

Most everyone agrees getting asses into boats is proven the most effective way to get people with an expressed interest and disposable income to spend $5M+/- for a boat.
                    Although a noble/charitable cause, disadvantaged are least likely to have disposable income for boats, cars, education, food,.....by definition, disadvantaged. Not the demographic any club/APBA should target, UNLESS, as mentioned in the article there is Gov't(Your) $ which will subsidize the program. What is absent in the article is the amount of $, who's $(obviously tax$'s if Gov'ts are involved), is supporting the project, and what is the annual budget.
                    If you think your gov't should subsidize such a program, how much more are you prepared to pay in Fed'l/State/Municipal taxes to subsidize this?...at a time when gov'ts are running at budget deficits, essential services(police/fire/etc) are being cut.

No club or APBA is doing anything out of their back pockets,...it's out of your back pocket through annual fees/revenue.
                    Ok, say the APBA takes this on, I'll take a shot at costs: boats(4, $20M?), enclosed trailer(1, $25M?), personnel(2, $40M/ea?), tow vehicle(1, $50M?), fuel($5M?), insurance($3M?), annual repairs($7M?), T&L expense(2pple, $10000?)...what am I missing?..if I'm wrong, propose your own $'s. There are annual operating costs and equipment can be amortised over several years(5).
                    My math gets $100M+/- for equipment, $100M+/- annual operating. Maybe I'm high/low,...use this as a guideline for discussion.

If APBA does this, how much more is the current APBA SO/MO membership prepared to spend in annual APBA fees to pay for this program, to target the preferred demographic?...I don't know...Anyone?...30/20/10% more in fees, and only 30/20/10% of the members might pay more?...go ahead, take a guess, do the math. What do you get?

Few will disagree with an initiative for a SO nat'l promo/marketing program.
                    Refresh my memory,...what is the APBA budget for the Crown project? I know they are spending below market for the work.
                    What's been the average APBA annual budget for promoting SO racing last 3years? Would that cover a program based on above costs?

Crunch #'s, determine who is prepared to pay, how much $ you have, and then who should do what. Not trying to be snappy about this,...just do the math, provide a business plan/solution.
                    Stock Outboard Racing!....because other sports,....golf, football, baseball, etc....only require one Ball!

Comment

Originally posted by fhafer View Post
                      Open racing trailers are great advertisements.......they're not just for race weekends!

My opinion.
                      I agree here. Not the only answer, but I can not tell you how many times, often while fueling, that I field questions from interested parties about our boats. I've even unlocked the back doors to show them motors and such. I'm always selling Top'O, but don't think for a second that they get away without hearing about the APBA, MHRA, and yes.... hydroracer.net. It may not be the total answer, but I think it helps.
                      And Dan, I'd like to thank you for not quickly taking this thread and the APBA into the dumper.

Comment

You want a rolling transport that advertises power boat racing? Load up you open trailers on a Saturday or Sunday and head out for a little drive around town. Stop at Bass Pro Shops, Little League ball fields, Gander Mountain or Cabellas to name a few. See how many people stop by to ask about your boats. Coming back from Wakefield it took me forty minutes to get out of the Cabellas parking lot in Dundee, MI. EVERYONE wanted to know about the boats. Have some APBA literature with you; I didn't unfortunately.

My opinion.

And its a GREAT opinion
                        sigpicWayne DiGiacomo

Comment

Conflicting Points here

I see people pointing out that we need a promote on the street. I see people who think that is not the right approach.

Yet everyone agrees that the racer schools, such as the one MHRA puts on, works.

Now I am not a marketing guru, or even a wannabe. I am a never was in marketing. But I do have one advantage; I am not bound by the marketing industry standards, and can think outside the box without thoughts in the back of my head telling me this goes against the industry. If you look into this even a little, you will see that the most successful companies, even in today’s economy, don't have marketing people that are screwed into the industry so tight even an 18volt drill couldn't unwind them.

So my common sense God gave me at birth tells me that the driver’s schools work. And from this very thread I find these are not funded by the APBA or any sanctioning body for that matter. They are a few individuals not bound by the marketing industry code. I have seen these drivers schools work in two different organizations. I would be willing to bet that if one really wanted to measure sustainable growth within APBA and count new racing members, the driver’s schools have brought in many more than any other program in the history of APBA. These programs have been going on for many, many years now. The west coast has been doing NorCal 400 for a lot of years, probably ten years. It has worked by the posts we have seen on this website. The MHRA one works, we have seen these results. I can say the NBRA school works as I have seen it first hand as well.

Final thoughts, I firmly believe we are spending money in the wrong places in APBA. Dues shouldn't be raised to pay for something not everyone had a choice on. If anything the organizations should be giving back to the racers as a subsidy. The racers do more for the sport than the internet or digital media ever will.
                          Dave Mason
                          Just A Boat Racer

Comment

My opinion.
                            Just to confirm what fhafer said I've had this same experience on several occasions as have my team mates. I am by no means saying that open trailers are the answer but they are a part of the big picture. By that I mean it is a form of "IN YOUR FACE" advertising for boat racing. The internet is wonderful and a powerful tool for those that want to and have the wherewithal to embrace it. On the other hand an open trailer, banner or simple sign on race day are all hard to ignore. They masses may not respond to the message but it's my guess that the will read it which is half the battle.

Just My Two Cents,

Sam
                            87-M
                            Team Casual

Comment

Great responses from everyone thanks for keeping it civil.
                              HTML Code:

Comment

Working...
                              X