Breaking news from APBA HQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blueskyracer View Post
    Who knows but you sure are using our forum to slam us (HR) in numerous posts. I for one would not even be here if it were not for Hydroracer and I believe there are numerous folks that can say the same thing or have found a lot of good equipment thru this site. This site will be around till we decide to retire or get tired of this stuff.
    I have not slammed Hydroracer.net. In fact, I thanked you for all you have done. And I will do it again. Thank you for all you have done. I will say this one more time, this plan is not intending to create a 'battle of the message boards.' Hydroracer will indeed live on. My point is that there is much more to the plan than just a website and discussion forum. I can't help but feeling, however, that those who hold this site (and others) most dear seem to be put off by the fact that APBA will soon have it's own site too. As my fellow Ryan pointed out, that is not an uncommon occurrence in racing sports (or any sport for that matter). All I am trying to do is divert focus from a smear campaign that has been launched here against this new project. The focus of the smearing has been the launching of APBA's message board. The undertaking by Crown, on the other hand, has much more in store. As stated in the video, this is just phase one. These are the goals for the first ninety days. Patience people, Rome was not built in a day and neither were your race boats.
    Ryan Runne
    9-H
    Wacusee Speedboats
    ryan.runne.4@gmail.com

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"--Albert Einstein

These days, I find it easier to look up to my youngers than my elders.

Comment

Uneasy feeling

I for one I dont like change. That being said I can see were boat racing may need to consider different avenues to improve the health of our sport. After watching the video i have an uneasy feeling about this. I dont get a warm and fuzzy feeling that the message that was portrayed came across from a knowledgable source when it comes to boat racing. I would have felt better if the message and info came across from someone actually in APBA
      not the company who has all these big plans. Maybe its a trust thing. You get the feeling they dont know boat racing very well, just my gut feeling.Is what they are proposing really going to help fix the problems we have in boat racing?
      While we are on that subject have we really identified what the real problem(s) are in boat racing. It sounds expensive anytime you have consultants come in and change things. Someone has to pay for change, i guess that will be the racing public. I am curious to see what our yearly dues are going to cost going forward. I have to agree with Dave Mason not real excited about the proposed changes on the horizon. Hope for APBA sake everything works out for the best. I also hope a civil war isn't on the horizon
      where people start choosing sides. The hydroracer public sounds pretty divided on the subject. Why dont we do a survey on how people feel about the changes coming to APBA.

Comment

propeller

Having raced on and off in the late 70s-early 90s, I have saved all the Propeller magazines. I would hope that APBA would still send the magazine to members who do not wish to read it on line. For me, I would rather have the mag in my hand to read, rather that having to look on line. Call me old fashioned, but I am willing to bet that there are others who feel the same as I do.

Comment

Hydroracer

On the subject of Hydroracer I think it has been great for boat racing in general. It has improved communication between the boat racing public. If you think numbers are down in classes imagine how much you would have lost without hydroracer aiding in the ability to communicate with each other and proding everyone along to go to a particular race. Hydroracer you have been the best thing for boat racing since sliced bread. Thanks for all you do!
          You are simply the best!

Comment

Something is being done ... just like the OPC Formula Race project, something is being done there as well.

The thing about this is that a dozen APBA members decided on this MAJOR expense without any warning/consultation of the other, what is it? 6,000? members. Just like the great health care bill, we have to pass it to know what's in it.

I agree that the Detroit office needs better automation, the website needs major overhaul and the schedule, sanction & tabulation systems all needed to be replaced with modern.

Seems to me, these could have been accomplished by themselves as a separate project at a much lower cost.

The ship has set sail on the course the pilot has pointed out ... we can't pull back into port ... lets hope our White Star tickets say Olympic and not Titanic

(The Olympic was the Titanic's sister that served out a mostly unremarkable but generally safe career as one of the world's largest passenger carriers)

Comment

Originally posted by sam View Post
              The thing about this is that a dozen APBA members decided on this MAJOR expense without any warning/consultation of the other, what is it? 6,000? members.
              Those dozen members were elected to make these decisions by the rest of us. You must not believe in democracy.
              Ryan Runne
              9-H
              Wacusee Speedboats
              ryan.runne.4@gmail.com

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"--Albert Einstein

These days, I find it easier to look up to my youngers than my elders.

Comment

Legally true, but that does not give them cart blanch in the polite world

Comment

Democracy

Hey, are we gonna get a debt ceiling in boat racing too? Democracy working wonders in government just ask the president. Sky's the limit, unfortunately.
                  2012 dues $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$
                  GREAT.

Comment

So we sit here and say we want all these changes…we need to fix our sport...we need better this or that...

How much are you/we willing to kick in to help try and turn this sport around and get more members? $20.00 a year for the next 5 years should cover it. If we don’t, we are not going to have a sport to even worry about. Is it not worth 20.00 a year to try? I’m not saying at all, that membership cost is going to go up. I have no idea if it will. I just know that we spend 1000.00’s a year in this sport and we have lots of you in a panic on where is the money going to come from. It’s not out of line the money we are spending.
                    "Ask anyone, I have no friends. I do have some people that put up with me and mostly because they like the rest of my family"

Don Allen

Comment

Funding the Digital Enhancement

Many have asked where the $$ to fund this is coming from. The answer is evidently in the June Issue of the Propeller Magazine article by Mr. Weber. This is quoted from a post on Boat Racing Facts.

"....Increased Revenues: APBA has very few ways
                      aside from fees to raise additional revenues in the short
                      term. To fund the digital transformation, APBA will
                      increase membership fees for 2012:
                      Racing memberships will increase by $25.00 per
                      member.
                      APBA club memberships will increase by $25.00 per
                      club.
                      Non-racing memberships will increase by $5.00 per
                      member.
                      The APBA Board of Directors believes that, in the longer
                      term, increased advertising due to APBA’s enhanced
                      digital presence will allow APBA to remove these temporary
                      membership fee increases. The increased fees
                      are expected to be in place for the 2012, 2013, and
                      2014 racing seasons...."

Hopefully that answers the question on raising to funds to pay for this enhancement.

Welcome to hydroracer, we hope you enjoy your visit.

Comment

Apba

I cannot find the informational vidio on the APBA sight ? We have been told for 3 years that the APBA web sight would be improved. It still lists that you get a rule book when you join. Propeller has been on line for years , this is a new resorce?? We have been told the office is downsizing , I spoke last week with an employee that has been with APBA for 6 months ?? The Board is supposed to represent the members and their best interests. Not make a plan to spend money we dont have. I would like to have been asked via a vote if We want to spend $ 450.000. The membership fee is going up with the benifits going away. The first thing you learn in a marketing class is to"" sell the benifits.". Seems like APBA has taken ours away. Goin' ATV racin this weekend.. I dont see a problem with boat racing .. I see APBA as the problem. Shawn

Comment

Agreed

Originally posted by dholt View Post
                          Ryan,

Amen, brother.

See you at Sunday Lake for a cold one.

D.
                          Ryan, you hit the nail on the head...
                          Team Red

Comment

Working...
                          X