Top O do's & Don'ts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top O do's & Don'ts

My brother & I will be running the Top O this year,Marathons are new to us.We will be running CSR so other than the tanks and fuel pump what are some of the things I will be saying boy next year I'll do this like that, don't forget to bring that and do it like this.Any suggestions are welcome because even though its still far off I'd like to start my list now.

Thanks
    Latter Race Team 20SSH/CSH/OSY400 /AXSH
    The eh TEAM
    "We'll burn that bridge when we come to it"

I would recommend you bolt the engine to the transom and tape the holes closed in the steering wheel spokes to avoid your finger going into one of the holes in the rough water. The tanks need to be really secure. Take a shear pin and the tools to install with you. Jack

Comment

Top "O"

A good quality padding for the cockpit and sides will help too......

Gootz

Comment

Duckbills.
        Gloves.
        Plenty of padding.
        Locktite EVERYTHING.

Comment

If you break down mechanically or phyisically find the best beach party and stop there. You will get free beer and hamburgers it works every time.
          53w

Comment

Welcome to the party , you will love it if you you're into this kind of self abuse. Beyond what the others have said you should have a small length (10') of line for you land lubbers that's rope. Some drivers make up small basic tool kits that might include an extra shear pin and maybe some extra spark plugs. I would recommend a good set of knee pads that won't fall down or cut your circulation off. I like the volley ball style with elastic backs. I would also get a pair of fore arm pads. For the Marathon I like to wear thin nylon running bottoms and top. This is the stuff that is sort of like spandex.......no cracks from the peanut gallery . I found that they help a lot with chafing and and such. Oh almost forgot, 800 mg of Advil about 30 minutes before you leave the beach is a god sent.

Sam,
            87-M

Comment

I've only done it once... but here is what I learned...

Duckbills or similar are a great.

If you are wearing old runners on your feet, or something your not afraid to ruin... cut/grind/sand/whatever the back corners of them to a 3/8" or 1/2" or even bigger chamfer if the shoe allows so they don't pound you in the a$$ for an hour with a sharp corner. Helps a lot.

Your first time, concentrate on finishing, not winning. Watch out for the big kahuna!

Yeah, take the advil before you leave shore.

Get there EARLY! Finding parking is impossible and will make you late and you'll be in a rush to setup and will miss testing have to do that first 180 degree right hander off the beach having never turned a boat right before! haha.

You'll have a blast!
              Fralick Racing
              Like our Facebook Team page "Here"

Comment

I forgot one very important option that I would highly recommend. If possible get to the Indian River area a few days before the race and rent a boat so you can run the river portions of the race and have a mental picture in your head. I wouldn't worry to much about the lake portion of the race it's pretty straight forward and you will more than likely be able to see other boats ahead of you.

One of the local racers (Wayne Blomberg) owns a marina in the area and can rent you a nice pontoon for the day. Sit back crack a cold whatever and enjoy the day while taking valuable mental notes, it's worth every penny. If you put the word out in advance you may be able to go in with other racers and split the cost of the rental.

Sam,

Comment

Check list growing

Great stuff to put on list guy's keep it coming,I'm sure there are other first time marathon guys who can use this info.It doesn't matter how trivial it may seem,all is food for thought.

Thanks All
                  The eh TEAM

Comment

Padding

Lots of cockpit padding !!!

Also were your elbow hits the deck by your throttle.
                    Attached Files
                    Tom L.

Comment

Golly, Tom, that looks like me after EVERY race!!! Never feel 'em and don't know when they happen, but I come in like that most of the time!! What fun.

Dan
                      O-66

Comment

Originally posted by tomtall View Post
                        lots of cockpit padding !!!

Also were your elbow hits the deck by your throttle.
                        ok check !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                        The eh TEAM

Comment

drive it like you stole it from Dewey!!!!!
                          mike ross

Comment

You need to have a pizza and beer at the Pinehurst, go for course tour. Saturday drive in from camp kurz, stay in the "short cut" through the stump fields and don't blow over in the rough water going through breakers!
                            Sunday go through the locks and around the dam, do not go over the Dam unless you have a DSR and you might make it over and keep going, it has only been done once!! MR V you are my hero!!!!
                            53w
                            Last edited by 53-W; 04-19-2011, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Do's and Don'ts

First of all, glad to hear you are coming to Top'O. I think I met you at LockHaven where I first heard of your Top'O dreams.
                              Do: Listen to anything that comes out of Tim Ross's mouth.
                              Don't: Take Mullet Lake lightly, and keep your eyes on the bow of your boat while crossing it.
                              Do: Make it to KampKurz as soon as you can, you will be very welcomed and Jack Stotts will be there.
                              Don't: Forget to practice your right turns. You will want to do right turns! Or carry champagne to give to the owner of the boat parked to the outside of the green dock 'right hand' corner just after the start of Saturday's race, where your day will end if you don't do rightys.
                              Do: Tighten your motor a LOT more than you ordinarily would, not only can you be disqualified, but there is not room in the boat for you and your motor.
                              I've seen some guys bolt the motor down to the transom. I use a cheater pipe to clamp down.
                              Do: Make sure to join us for the ride into the pits from KampKurz. It's a fun, honored tradition and helps me, anyway, unwind some of the stress. As Billy Allen said way back: "We do it to demoralize the competiton, as they are getting their motors out of the trailer we come in looking like we are already having fun."
                              Do: Take in Northern Michigan while here. Most visitors to Top'O comment on the natural beauty of our area. Mackinac Island maybe.
                              Don't: Miss an oppurtunity to meet the Ladd Brothers. Just look for a smilin', laughin' bunch of friendly DSR's.
                              Do:Vivio's for Pizza.
                              Don't: Spend more than enough time in the Piney, try not to hang too long after we've all left.
                              Do: Bring a friend to run 'Classic'.
                              Don't: Forget, winning is great, but finishing Top'O is honorable.
                              Do: Remember to get ahold of me when you get here. I'll make sure you get to KampKurz and do what I can to help you have a great race. Very glad to hear you will be here. Mark 'Kamp' Kurz

Comment

Working...
                              X