Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biggest obstacle to growth in STOCK??

US!

- Clearly there are improvements that we can make in the Stock category, but we all need to quit complaining and do more to improve our sport!

- I’m convinced that if we spend as much time trying to promote our sport and put people in boats, as we do bickering on this website, we would see an increase in membership.

- Before everyone gets excited and starts throwing stones, I would like to establish a guideline for this Forum. If you have not done something to improve racing in the last 2 years (hang up posters, put a ad in paper to promote a local race, volunteered, or lent your equipment to someone) or if you have not helped get someone started in last 5 years, DO NOT POST A REPLY.

- Many folks complain that we need “new” motors in order to grow STOCK. To help get over this hurdle (and hopefully not let it slow down our efforts any more), I would like to point out the fact that new motors are available for virtually every STOCK class:

o JR/JH: Merc (Yes, I know this is the J Category)
    o AXR/AXH: Merc (Yes, I know this is the J Category)
    o ASH/ASR: Sidewinder
    o BSR/BSH: Sidewinder
    o 20ssH: Yamato Y302 and Sidewinder
    o CSR/CSH: Yamato Y302
    o DSH/DSR: Tohatsu
    o 25ssR: Yamato and Sidewinder
    o 25ssH: No new motor currently available.

- With the facts above, hopefully we can quit gripping about the lack of new motors and get on with promoting growth.

- I think all will agree that we need to provide more value (boat time) for the investment and consider a “spec boat” to allow new folks an opportunity to purchase a turn key rig.
    o Let’s discuss the “spec boat” first. A few times over the last year, I have suggested we provide a complete rig for a new driver. If we want to sell new motors and support Sidewinder, then let’s work to put together a BSH (and BSR?) package. The package should include at least a boat, motor, and prop. I also suggested that we consider developing a fiberglass boat and approach APBA for funding this project. This idea is in line with what many folks are posting on HR (need to provide a competitive rig for new racers), yet no one has taken the idea and run with it. WHY NOT? Again, I think too many folks are more concerned with presenting a counter argument than they are with actually moving the sport forward.

o Providing more value to racers is definitely needed. I think many will agree that we need more boat time, more boats in each race, and less classes per weekend. Looking at Dean’s proposal, I think it idea has good merit but will take some time to gain acceptance. To help move it forward, we should propose options for folks whose classes are impacted. For example: 25ssH drivers will be greatly impacted by this proposal. What can we as a sport do to help keep them in racing? Help them convert boats to a CSH? Lend them a motor or prop? Instead of forcing an issue, let’s ASK THEM. We can get a full list of 25ssH drivers, schedule a teleconference, and hear their thoughts and concerns.

- Finally, let’s start using HydroRacer to post some success stories. The Marine Racing Club (and other clubs) have done a great job getting their Driving School programs up and running. We have 1 confirmed new driver for 2011 and 1-2 more folks who are “very likely” to be racing this year. This is a huge success!! In addition, we recently had a club meeting at a member’s shop where the Club worked on another boat for this year’s class. This is great news that should be posted and celebrated!!!

- That’s enough for today. Let the stones fly…but only if you meet the criteria above!

Kudos to Jeff Brewster and Ed Runne

Just a quick kudos to Jeff Brewster. He did not bash this proposal, he probably saved it Saturday morning. He left the SO meeting telling me to give him the target speed a 25SSH should go to race in the CSH class and he could make it happen. He understand that it should not win the Nationals, but believes we should be able to slot it nicely in CSH. This is the attitude we need!

The class contraction plan can work without killing the existing equipment!

Ed Runne also felt that this could work for everyone. We are going to do some testing with the 20CI Sidewinder to try and properly slot it in with the BSR and 20SSH. I am going to try some things this season, restrictors, CC, ect.

I have a dream....

A,B,C,D with all classes having 100 entries in them Nationally! We can do it!

Comment

Exposure!

In the hey day of kneel down racing, we were the poster child of Mercury.
      They spent lot's of bucks supporting stock racing to sell fishing motors.

We do not have this anymore.

If I were king for a day, NBRA and Lucas Oil would be my best friends.
      This new stadium could be the exposure kick kneelers could use.

Let's throw the competing sanctioning body, BS away and work together.
      Geez, I sound like Obama.

Tim
      Tim Weber

Comment

Clarksville, Va..............

Success story...........

This joint Inboard/Outboard Race has been a steady growing race for the past 3 years. Why????

1. Low entry fee.

2. Free Dinner tickets for all drivers and crews

3. Free t-shirt and 'goodie' bag at registration.

4. Tow money.

5. Excitement of seeing another cataglory race (Inboards).

6. Get to hear Gary Pond tell old racing stories (optional)

The point is the race grows year after year because it gives back to the drivers in lieu of taking from the drivers!! It doesn't take much to entice boat racers to come out of the closet and race!!(hope that came out right).

Yes, Clarksville is sponsored but it is interesting how the cause and effect thing comes into play. Often times it is the little things that add up. DVORA in New Jersey previously gave back Racing Dollars which were coupons that got you discounts on entry fees at future DVORA races!! That comes to mind as another 'cool' little thing that adds a little enticement!
        Last edited by Matt Dagostino; 02-01-2011, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Nationally
          1. Form a membership committee tasked with growing the membership (duh!)
          2. Form a committee tasked with long range planning and advisory guidance to the constantly changing volunteer leadership.
          3. Hire full time professional Promotions and Marketing.
          4. Reorganise the antiquated system of Regions into East, West, and Central to better balance membership representation into 3 roughly equal parts.

Regionally/Club level
          1. Encourage every club to have a Drivers School
          2. Get sponsored events
          3. Promote the event through press releases

Individual racer
          1. Invite a friend or a neighbor to go for a ride in your boat.
          2. Put a hydroracer.net sticker on your car, your boat, and your trailer.
          3. Be an ambassador to the sport at all times

BW

Edited at Mikes request:

Walker Racing Team maintains a spare CSH/20ssh and a spare CSR/25SSR and brings them to almost every race for new drivers to try. We have gotten 6 people signed up so far for the 2011 Southeast Drivers School (date and location to be announced) We also run the Southeast Drivers School.

Over the last 50 years, we have gotten over 20 new members into stock and mod racing all just friends, neighbors and people we met while pumping gas.

I dont know how many AOMCI http://www.aomci.org/ meets we have attended and set up displays at but it is alot as well as a variety of shows, conferences, and a static display at the local marina.

Being involved at the club level is important too and one or the other of us has held every office in our local clubs at one time or another as well as getting elected to multiple national offices for multiple racing organizations.

For 2011 we are bringing a new race to Berwick, PA with sponsorship in conjunction with a local festival...think Lockhaven style.
          Last edited by B Walker; 02-02-2011, 06:47 AM.
          302SSH.....Putting the Stock back in Stock Outboard

Comment

Follow the Posting Guidelines

Brad and Tim,
            Be sure to include how you helped get someone started in the last 5 years or personally did something to promote the sport in the last 2 years. Otherwise, START YOUR OWN THREAD!

I have just been informed that you can purchase all parts for a 25XS (new) except for the gearcase. I think that means all stock classes have motors and/or parts available for purhcase. That's great news!

- Mike

Comment

Mike,

Where do you want to start?

I have been living in a boat racing desert! For years I was it in region 14 as far as a stock racer.

Now we have Mark Obrian in his 3rd year of racing CSR & CSH. Herb Lanphear who is not new to racing has come back. Jon Walters who is not new has been active again. We have a newbie in Augusta, GA who bought equipment over the winter too. We have Jerry Oberlin in Macon Ga now too. I have helped all these guys in some way. Look at set up, borrow a prop, borrow a boat, rebuild a motor, fix a hole here, a hole there.

I've got plans to get with Mel Thomas on a new race site too.

I'll let Brad speak for himself but he was one of the reasons I came back after a layoff.

I understand the part about the hobby aspect of this. I am working on some piece of equipment almost everyday. Like every one else, I work a full day too.

How much time can one devote to this stuff?

We are all in agreement that we would like to see bigger fields, more races etc.

The question for ever has been how do we achieve this?

I go back to EXPOSURE! The masses know nothing about our sport.

One thing others I hope would chime in is about the success the NOA had with Claude Fox. I really don't know a lot about that as it was alky racing.
              The old timers talk about his races as being better than APBA. From what I understand he ruled as a benevolant dictator, promoter etc.

Tim
              Tim Weber

Comment

Competition and Time in the boat

I am starting to work on ideas for the next step with MHRA Racer School.

I think I have convinced myself that, Dave Anderson, sealed motor idea has a lot of merit. What I am working on and thinking about is...if MHRA Racer School can incorporate it into its school.

What I am thinking is MHRA buys 4 302 and TJ seals them with paint, like a Nationals. We already have two brand new Racer School Members competing in their first season with boats. We then get six props, like J does for draw. The other two entries come from less competitive CSH or 20SSH in the club.

I can see this "really' working. You can run the class with the existing class structure CSH or 20SSH or both to put them on the water twice. Now when a member finishes Racer School and we sell them a 302 we can also sell them on the idea of Racing it twice a day in CSH and 20SSH against competition that is level for them.

I am getting pretty excited about this idea.

It would put a lot of our guesses to the test....do people want to race but feel that it takes to much time to compete. I have already called a few existing racers about this idea, and they were interested in running it.

Yes, I still think, class contraction is necessary, but it is going to ballot for the members to choose. I am pretty sure this will be my next "step" or cause to prove/disprove within the sport.

Thank you Dave Anderson for making me really think this out. Now I will work on implementation.

Thanks,
                Dean

Comment

Dean, I love the idea about a spec class and would give it a try for sure. I spoke to Affholter last night and he's game to. I haven't been in a hydro in years but I'm guessing it's like riding a bike . I'm pretty sure we would have no problem in filling the heats. I'll see you on the 5th.

On a side note I want to publicly thank Tim Webber for all his help he's given me in the past few years. Tim has been a long distance friend and mentor who has gone the extra mile more than once for me. He answers all my questions and has no problem in sharing his experience in detail. He's gone to the extent of sending me a box of props to try and then calls me at the race site to see how they were working.........I love it ! As a relative new guy I can say first hand this is the kind of effort that helps racer retention.

Sam,
                  87-M

Comment

Thanks for posting

Originally posted by Tim Weber View Post
                    Mike,

Now we have Mark Obrian in his 3rd year of racing CSR & CSH. Herb Lanphear who is not new to racing has come back. Jon Walters who is not new has been active again. We have a newbie in Augusta, GA who bought equipment over the winter too. We have Jerry Oberlin in Macon Ga now too. I have helped all these guys in some way. Look at set up, borrow a prop, borrow a boat, rebuild a motor, fix a hole here, a hole there.

I've got plans to get with Mel Thomas on a new race site too...

Tim
                    Keep up the good work!
                    - Mike

Comment

Value...............

Originally posted by CSH12M View Post
                      I am starting to work on ideas for the next step with MHRA Racer School Now when a member finishes Racer School and we sell them a 302 we can also sell them on the idea of Racing it twice a day in CSH and 20SSH against competition that is level for them.
                      I am getting pretty excited about this idea.
                      More bang for the buck..........one motor, one boat. Throw in a restrictor and some lead and away you go. A proven formula for success over the past decades that should be used as a model. This is a HUGE selling point for the new members interested in our sport and existing members!!

Some would argue that this is the same class running twice in one day hence confusing the fans (?????). I contend when the 'fans' start paying the bills then perhaps a modified schedule can be formulated as was the case in the Merc Challenge days, but until that day comes again VALUE rules the day with perspective members.....

The type of sponsored races i have been involved in typically want lots of boats and noise on the water so beer and chicken dinners can be sold during the afternoon hours. Throw in a few flips and what's not to like if you are a sponsor!! I am not so sure that having totally different identifyable classes is a huge deal. When i watch motorcross racing, snowmobile racing, even NASCAR racing, you can't tell one class from the other with the naked eye!!

When the DMR-CMR guys like Luce show at our races (sorry, i mean 500 and 750cch) the spectators line the river bank cause of the NOISE!!. They are not so concerned that the boats are motors and basically the same. They just love the excitement of the noise and watching James Luce almost blow over at 85mph!!.......oops sorry James.

Matt

Comment

Working...
                      X