No announcement yet.

Open letter to the Mod commission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is my take on the Tohatsu in DM. I have ran DMH and EMH(44) since before it was started in APBA. In NOA it was called American Professional so i know a little about what i am talking about,i also have ran Stock,Pro and OPC.This is what i think will happen if they let the Tohatsu run in stock form in DM this year by next year the Tohatsu drivers will be tired of running mid pack or so.The more of them there are the faster this will happen,they will be saying we need to be able to modify our eng to be more competive with the Merc's by then a lot of them will have more than one power head.If they let them Modify the Tohatsu the Merc will be hurting if not dead. The Tohatsu is a superior eng to the Merc the Merc is a cross flow eng of 1950 design The Tohatsu is a modern loop charged eng with a modern intake sys.I would like to see the Tohatsu have another place to run but not DM. As to FEH Steve Dunn ran a close second in one heat of FEH with a 44 Merc at the APBA winter Nat's. What happen to the 30H Merc why is it not allowed to run CS anymore.

Comment

Danny, I value your perspective as an established insider in Merc Modified racing and respectfully ask if the Tohatsu in its stock form has a place in FE? Could it be a fit with modifications? Would the Tohatsu owners consent to a place to race in Mod with little chance of competing at the highest levels in a stock configuration??

If so, why or why not. (on all the above questions)

I completely agreee with your analysis of the progression of a new motor in a modified class.

But multiple votes of the MORC have emphatically stated "dont mess with the merc classes"

It is what it is.

BW
      Last edited by B Walker; 02-04-2011, 07:53 PM.
      302SSH.....Putting the Stock back in Stock Outboard

Comment

Anyone have a link to the MOD minutes?
        100N STEVE FRENCH > Nobody can hang with my STUFF!! >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tna3B5zqHdk

SEEEEEE YAAAAAA!!............In my WAKE!! .............100N>>

Comment

Brad,i don't see the Tohatsu ever being a front runner in stock form in FE. Even with mods it would be hard but who knows it might can run a smaller boat. I would think it is lighter than a OMC an might not need as much boat to carry it though the turns as the OMC. The Tohatsu drivers don't want to run FE now because they can't compete with the OMC and are not happy with that. As i said before they see a chance in DM this is a very old game they are playing no one seems to know how good they are. That is easy to find out just give Brain Palmquest one let him blue print it an put it on one of his great boats and prop set ups. I would say he could run in the top 5 at the Nat's this year easy. He might even do a lot better. As long as there are enough Merc's in the country to make a DM class I say keep it Merc. This is the last class that is about the same as it was in the begining. It represents the history of outboard racing from the 50's until now.

Comment

just to let you guys know,, we have a tahatsu here in the northwest fully modified..ie billet heads bigger carbs, reeds, stacks or tuned pipes and a smaller boat,,,, and he no-where neer the speeds of the v-rude,,,,

Comment

Perhaps the 45 OMC and the Tohatsu have enough members to start their own MOD class?.....Both reject'd by D and both under-dogs in FE.......Would be interest'n to see them square off.......?
              100N STEVE FRENCH > Nobody can hang with my STUFF!! >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tna3B5zqHdk

SEEEEEE YAAAAAA!!............In my WAKE!! .............100N>>

Comment

Originally posted by form-e one View Post
                just to let you guys know,, we have a tahatsu here in the northwest fully modified..ie billet heads bigger carbs, reeds, stacks or tuned pipes and a smaller boat,,,, and he no-where neer the speeds of the v-rude,,,,
                I didn't know stacks could be used on the Tohatsu in mod?

Comment

Originally posted by sam View Post
                  I didn't know stacks could be used on the Tohatsu in mod?
                  Not everyone runs APBA. The person Cheyney refers to runs AOF
                  Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

excellent thread dave

well said Davey...

You would think that the message should have been heard loud and clear last year. I just don't understand the mod commission thinking.

To hell with APBA points and nationals; could we as a region just run tohatsu's in DMOD classes and not even worry about national high points?

I just looked at Mike's SLORA schedule. we should take a hard look at them. THEY WANT US... stateline participation seems to be growing unlike APBA membership. They seem to have what the APBA lacks. Intelligence
                    Bill Dingman "The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

Comment

I have to agree, it seems the class should be called Merc 44 Mod ! Maybe it is time for us to take a good hard look at NBRA and AOF and see why they seem to be growing !

John B. 850 MOD Hydro (I hope to get running by April !)

Comment

Originally posted by John C167 View Post
                        I have to agree, it seems the class should be called Merc 44 Mod ! Maybe it is time for us to take a good hard look at NBRA and AOF and see why they seem to be growing !

John I can tell you NBRA would love to get a group going out here in the west! Interested?
                        Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

Originally posted by John C167 View Post

Just to be clear but didn't someone say that NBRA created a seperate class for the Tohatsu? That that Merc 44 & the Tohatsu do not race the same class? Can someone confirm or deny this?
                          Brian 10s

Comment

D hydro NBRA

The Tohatsu in NBRA runs with 40ci Merc Mods and stock 44xs. Our 44ci Merc class is called E hydro and only run 44ci Mod Mercs.
                            Keith Kampen

Comment

I am looking for an engine to run in DSH can we still build one using the old 55h tower and foot and a 44cu.in. power head. Which power head has been the best Merc 500 or Mark 58.
                              Thanks Skeet

Comment

Merc's

Originally posted by kampenracing View Post
                                The Tohatsu in NBRA runs with 40ci Merc Mods and stock 44xs. Our 44ci Merc class is called E hydro and only run 44ci Mod Mercs.
                                To give more info on what keith said, and in case anyone who might not remember the 40CI Mercs. APBA used to have DMH that was a 40CI Merc. Same rules as EMH 44CI basically, except weight was less I believe. APBA did away with the DMH class (I am not forgetting the runabouts just using H as it is less typing) and also the EMH class became the DMH class.

In NBRA they run both as a seperate class. DMH and EMH, the same way APBA used to. With the coming of the Tahotsu and the demand of racers the class grew in leaps and bounds in the NBRA. As Keith noted, there are three engine choices.
                                Stock 44XS
                                Tahotsu D Stock - big difference is no rules on heights.
                                D Mod Merc (40CI).

At ANY race in NBRA it is a dog fight to see who wins this class. Fans have their favorite engines chosen and root them on. You would be suprised that the Merc has a strong fan base in Kevin Macafee running a fast Merc. In fact, the fan club follows him around to the two races in IL, Centrallia and Shelbyville.

The Tahotsu without height restrictions and any other restrictions other than what APBA D stock rules indicates is a real contender in this class. And guess what, they run them on the same hulls. Maybe the height restrictions hinder the handling, I don't know....
                                Dave Mason
                                Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Working...
                                X