The more things change....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The more things change....

At our Fall Region 10 Meeting, a fair amount of discussion was given to declining membership. While our region (which had the largest total membership for APBA in 2010 across racing and non-racing members) is tracking slightly less than the National trend of decrease, we are still obviously very concerned about the trend both locally and Nationally.

One R10 member commented that if he owned a business that showed a 12 percent drop in customers from the previous year, the first thing he would do was contact those folks who left and ask them why. I've suggested to anyone who will listen to me that APBA should (among other things) consider doing some formal exit polling to find out why people have moved on...and at the very least do some sort of reaching out to past members to let them know we're still here and would like them back.

One of the people I mentioned this to (in the context of prepping for the Membership Growth Meeting this week in Detroit) was Ernie Dawe. Ernie commented that when he was SO Category Chair (VP), he actually conducted such a survey, with the help of then-Region 12 racer and member Mike Johnson. Ernie was kind enough to send me a copy he had of it.

As I read through this, I was surprised to see that many (if not all) of the things people left racing for in 1993 are strikingly similar to the complaints heard on this web site, and from current racer and ex-racers.

I've scanned a copy of this and attached it. It's a long read, but it's compelling...and feels a little bit like the movie Groundhog Day.

This might be a good thing for some of us to look at on our cross-country plane flights to Detroit this week, in the context of looking at where APBA has been, where it is going, and what we need to do to keep this thing going.

Enjoy,

Patrick Gleason R-19
    Region 10 Chairman
    Attached Files
    www.gleasonracing.com

"No, THAT is why people hate him."

Gee, it reads like it was written yesterday and yet nothing has changed. Cost governed by the rules that allow stock as really mod, not winning and sometimes the good old boys club. To much travel expense for very little water time. and the rules keep changing.

Its like being in a time capsule that is stuck in a "Ground Hogs Day" loop.
    Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

Pat,
      You are right, this survey still rings true. I was discussing many of these issues with an "elected official" and was told "If they don't like it they can leave".
      It will be interesting to see how this is dealt with. One of the other sanctioning bodies dealt with the real issues instead of personal agendas and is continually growing.
      Thanks for posting this survey.

sigpic
      SIBLING RIVALRY RACING TEAM

Comment

lots of old racers have gotten old and havent passed the torch on to there children and grand children so to speak . American kids would rather play video games than do a little work on a boat so they can have a little fun. thats got a lot to do with it

Comment

Originally posted by Top Gun 3-Z View Post
          lots of old racers have gotten old and havent passed the torch on to there children and grand children so to speak . American kids would rather play video games than do a little work on a boat so they can have a little fun. thats got a lot to do with it
          Thats very true about the kids but what about attracting the parents. the ones with the money. They are not interested either. Both the parents and kids have to be interested, its a package deal. Thats why I had to wait till I was much older. I tried to get into racing in the late 60's but my dad could care less so the idea went nowhere.

Comment

We race as a family. (I don't, I am technical support, club secretary and volunteer for other jobs). When Mike put this on his bucket list, I suggested that he involve Kevin (our daughter April's boyfriend) so that he would have a race companion knowing I wouldn't be much help in the physical tasks required. Mike bought one boat and they shared it by driving in different classes. Our race team has evolved from there. After our grandson Benjamin was born, April decided that she would like to give it a try and by then Mike had built two more boats so she raced in a novice class with the 9 year old kids. It looked like a Momma duck leading her ducklings around the course as they quickly realized that she knew how to make a start. She started with a borrowed cut suit and helmet from a racer who liked to help new people get involved in the sport.

April quickly "outgrew" novice so she moved up a class to Y-80, Kevin continued in C-Stock and Mike moved up to C-Mod.

Since our grandson (he'll be three this year) is growing up around the boats I am sure he will be driving as soon as he is "of age". Although he'd tell you he could drive Papa's boat now.

It should be noted that we, Mom and Dad, are financing the race team and last year I even helped with fuel for the kids to get to the race sites. (Living in Montana we usually have a 4+ hour drive) I just think it is healthy for families to play together and it is way better than playing video games and sitting on the couch. Sure we have our tough times when we don't all see eye to eye but then we wouldn't if we were all at home either.

I think that as single adult men (and some women) who enjoy it, like to race, can afford it and continue after they leave the nest. I think that when he/she gets married, finances have to go in a different direction and then children come along and that is another expense. In todays economy racing is out of the buget because of the travel expenses, membership expense, race fees and equipment all for 20 minutes on the water miles away from home one or two weekends a month isn't a practical use of funds. Vacation time is limited because we all have to work for a living and that limits where we can go to race as well. We choose to spend our money on something other than stock outboard racing.

Then finally, as our children leave the nest, there is some additional cash in the budget to spend on ourselves. We are still hampered by vacation time limits when significant travel is involved (after all we still have to work to have any surplus cash), but we can at least perhaps buy back into the sport, and racing becomes possible again.

However since we didn't do it while our children were young their interests have taken a different direction. Not everyone is lucky enough to be able to get their adult children to join in the fun. If you can then you have the possibility that their children (your grandchildren) will grow up with it and help keep the sport alive. Of course Mom and Dad may have to finance the team for a while. Which really could amount to just sharing equipment, if we keep it so that the same boat can with a few changes (restrictor plates, height adjustments etc.) run in multiple classes.

We have lent boats, motors, cut suits and helmets to people to help them get started. We have helped new folks get their boats set up. Mike has repaired boats for folks for nothing in some cases to be sure they stick with the sport.

I think it is a great sport and all of the folks that we have met along the way are like a second family to us. I can't think of a better wholesome sport to get involved with and bring children into.

I think the bottom line is economics. We need to find a way to reduce the costs so that the 20-30 year olds can either join the sport or continue with it while raising a family and introduce their children to it. Like everyone else says it is an expensive hobby to get involved with on a time to race basis. As my father always says "Money is the root of all evil", that along with "he who has the gold....rules".

Welcome to hydroracer, we hope you enjoy your visit.

Comment

Change?

Many moons ago when I was Region Chairman someone gave notes from our CVRA meetings that were a couple decades old. I read those old meeting notes and didn't know whether to laugh or cry. The gripes and problems listed therein could have been written the day I received the notes, and could be used today.

Change? Nope . . .
              carpetbagger

Comment

It isn't a surprise to me that many of these people stopped racing because of the cost. Remember that there are a lot of scenarios that want to make our older (and most cost effective) engines obsolite? This along with the bad economy will just add to the problem......

Comment

I for one don't buy the video game thing or the lack of funds thing--there are plenty of kids riding Quads,dirt bikes,jet ski's snowmobiles,go karts& the like.

Its just that most do not know that there is a APBA---let along a stock,mod or PRO.

Resperectly

Pat Wright

Comment

Pat, agree some what...It's lack of value for the money.
                    "Ask anyone, I have no friends. I do have some people that put up with me and mostly because they like the rest of my family"

Don Allen

Comment

Originally posted by Big Don View Post
                      Pat, agree some what...It's lack of value for the money.
                      Don
                      Yea lack of value might be viable.. But probably 99.9% of American never heard of APBA much less Stock,Mod, Or Pro.

Ya see when a Originization has major drops in sales they cut expenses,like employee's--then spend more on adveretizing---APBA has always done just the opossite. If it wasn't for the love of powerboat racing by us owners and drivers( maybe fools lol) APBA would have been gone long ago.
                      The old story let you employees go or you go. Gonna happen anyway so why have a staff and a building thats #1 job is to Promote Powerboat Racing and yet does very little in this area.

PAT

Comment

Missing the point!

For all the discussion here on blaming video games and lack of brand recognition, I think some folks are missing the point.

This survey was done of people WE ALREADY HAD THAT WENT AWAY. Why did they go away? I'm fairly certain that Jared Martin, Richard Hearn's kids, Dylan Runne and most of our other kids in the J classes play video games, yet they still race. So, let's for right now rule out the "Video Games are stealing our racers" theory. Jeez, that's not even a question on the Survey!

Nor does it say "I quit racing because APBA has no broad mainstream recognition." Yes, that is an issue, and I don't mean to minimize that concern, but again--let's look at the purpose of the survey.

Most business owners will tell you that they would rather keep the loyal customers they have rather than constantly losing them and bringing in new ones. So, in that context, maybe we should be focusing on keeping the ones we have WHILE we're bringing in new ones.

For those of you who did not, cannot or will not read the entire document, I'll post one little snippet below. The second to last paragraph on page two states:

" In the "OVERALL"--all groups combined-- the number one response is "cost of A.P.B.A. membership." [It is not the number one in any of the single groups]. Number two "took sometime off" may explain numbers three and four, "too much politics" and "not enough local races."

Point being here that we need to place just as much emphasis (if not more!) on stopping our internal hemmorraging of membership loss as we want to place on promotion and attraction of new members. I guarantee you that if the 2011 membership numbers matched those of 2010 and didn't decline, there would be much rejoicing in Eastpointe.

Yes we can grow and get new members. But it does no good if we lose more members each year than we get new.

R-19
                        www.gleasonracing.com

"No, THAT is why people hate him."

Comment

I must say that I would join APBA if the price was more in line with the other two groups but it is not worth it for one or possible two races a year.

I still say you have to work to get and retain the parents first and their kids will follow. The kids do not decide what the family does with there expendable income. If they have ATV's, Jet Skis, and snowmobiles it is not with their money. It is the parents that were interested in it and the kids got to participate also. Plus all of these items you can use at least every weekend for at least a 4 month period in there own back yard. VALUE FOR THE ALL MIGHTY BUCK.

Bottom line races need to be promoted at places that are not out in the sticks for better exposure, more water time (value), get the cost down and get the rules under control and in a format that is usable.

I must add that what is happening with NBRA and Lucas oil is a big step in the right direction as far as exposure goes.

Comment

A good read. I'd like to discuss one of the points of why people were leaving, Too much politics (could be something to ponder this week).

I for one am now involved on this dreaded politics of boat racing. Don't get me wrong, i'm Proud to serve my sport.

Even when i was younger though politics was something always dicussed in our household. What rules are being changed, who's bickering at who, etc. I just don't think this is something that we maybe should look at if we have time, BUT rather a demand on our survival to look at.

Something to discuss this week: How do we lower the burdon of racing politics to the membership? Is this even possible? Maybe a change in how APBA is run needs a look?

From a personal standpoint I always check my 'fun' factor? Am i having fun with this sport? Obviously after 15 years it's a 'yes' statement. Now we just need to find the folks not having fun, and see how we can make boat racing more fun for them!
                            Kyle Bahl
                            20-R

"He didn't bump you, he didn't nudge you, he rubbed you, and rubbin' son is racin'!"

Comment

Originally posted by raceright View Post
                              I for one don't buy the video game thing or the lack of funds thing--there are plenty of kids riding Quads,dirt bikes,jet ski's snowmobiles,go karts& the like.

Its just that most do not know that there is a APBA---let along a stock,mod or PRO.

Resperectly

Pat Wright
                              Pat (Wright),

You are talking about pieces of equipment that can be used more than 6 weekends a year, most of the time without extensive travel. I still think it is a matter of spending funds where they can be best utilized and that isn't on boat racing. Quads and dirt bikes are year around items, jet skis can be used anywhere, no safety gear or sanctions required and can be on the water 7 days a week if you are so inclined. Snowmobiles are a little more limited but you can still use them without safety gear and sanctions and you don't have to be part of a "group" to enjoy one.

You can pick most of those items up for the same expense as an equiped raceboat and you can use them as often as you like without restriction.

Welcome to hydroracer, we hope you enjoy your visit.

Comment

Working...
                              X