No announcement yet.

Fantasy Finals- ASH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of Dr. Stu Wilson's KG-4's was one he bought from Dave and Lloyd Swanson - I think he bought it from them after the 1968 Stock Nationals in Seattle where Swanson and Mike Boon battled all the way around the race course for both heats of the finals in ASR (or AU in those days).

I was pitted next to Dr. Wilson at the Lake Placid, FL Stock Nationals in 1971 and something fell into the gas tank of his KG-4 - it was facinating to watch him direct his pit crew to hand him needle nose pliers and various tools as if he was in the operating room. It was great to watch - and he retrived the foriegn object holding it up as if he had removed a tumor.

We had some fun in those days........

Mark Demaray

Comment

Doc Wilson...

Originally posted by Chip Trampe View Post
      The "Doc whats his name" that Ron Hill refers to would be none other than Dr. Stuart Wilson of Elm Grove, WI. Noted surgeon at the Froedtert/Medical College of Wisconsin who just might have that KG-4 in his basement!
      I would like to add B.J. Raji for Fantasy Pit Crew.
      Hope to see some of you at Top 'O next summer.
      Talking to Ron and Gerry Hedlund, at DePue, they both agreed that Doc Wilson was the only one to turn their hydros over...I'm not trying to start anything here...I'll just say, "Those were the days..."

I remember Bob Todd going 72 MPH through the KILO, and Jeff Fritz going 61....Jeff, won the Nationals...In those days kilo speed weren't the same as competition speeds.... as my DU would run 74 in the kilo and 60 for competition...

ADD:

Seems I remember George Stillwell, Sr. winning heat after heat in Guntersville...He was a small man, and kind of sat sideways in the Sid Hydro...What I remember best about Guntersville was that the Miss Alabama Contest was in town....

LAST ADD:

How about Joey Sokoske in ASH??? Didn't he have a fast ASH?

Comment

Mark, As a side note, the Mike Boon rig was one that I set up for him. I built the engine and prop and taught him to drive the clarkraft. I was in the US Coast Guard during the 68 season as I had a little thing called the draft getting in the way of my racing. I beat Mike two weeks after he won the Seattle Nationals on the long course at Lowell Ma.

Bill Rosado

Comment

When you say Don Christy, do you mean Don Christy from MD, I am his grandson, and I want to show him more pictures, but not many on here, can you guys put more up.

Comment

Only One Don Christy That I Know Of...

I'm surprised someone hasn't answered you, but I'll add a little. I remember your grandfather, Donny, driving Sid Crafts like no one else. I also remember Don's dad and and Mr. Sid Craft, Sid Uritsky, having more than one cocktail at a race or two..

I remember Don winning B Stock Hydro in Boston, 1963 and being DQ'd for running a 25 Fishing block. A mistake I could see myself making. Actually, it may have been better than a 20-H block, but the way Don was running he could have won with probably ayn motor in the field.

I was never happy about the DQ and can not tell you who the actual winner was, as I will always remember Donny Christy won those B Stock Hydro Nationals.

I had a one hell of a BU race with Don in Beaver Falls, PA in the qualifying heats. I could out top him, but he could out punch me....and we raced it out as such. Seems you had to win to qualify and I finished 3rd or 4th in the finals....in BU...I borrowed our crew chief's boat as he had been and a serious accident on the way to Beaver Falls.

I had heard to "Watch Out" for Christy, and this was my first and only time to race him, but he drove me hard, clean and fair... I don't recall seeing Don after Beaver Fall, PA 1966.

This is a picture of Carl Meyers, who was hurt in the car accident on the way to Beaver Falls. Maybe your grandfather, Don, could spot the BU trophy from Beaver that I was talking about. I can't. I gave the trophy to Carl, in 1965.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Ron Hill; 05-19-2011, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X