Clear All

Gordie Miller, Shaubs
    Youngest Member of the Flyer Raceboat Gang

Comment

Don't forget Charlie Erdman.

Tim
      Tim Weber

Comment

I'll vote for Boss Berghauer, His A was fast.

Comment

Originally posted by dholt View Post
          Not a bad field here. Steve Defeo's dominating win at Dayton '74 may be unmatched by anyone...ever.

1. Andy Hansen
          2. Billy Hutchins
          3. Ken France
          4. Steve Defeo
          5. Dave Hoggard
          6. Billy Allen
          7. Brian Berger
          8. Tom Marcel
          9. Mark Demary
          Only 9 boats....?

Steve DeFeo's win was really amazing...11 Hydros, about a half lap behind him...His win was double to mine...as I won with a 3-1 and Ernie Dawe had won the first heat and had engine trouble the second...

In inspection DeFeo's motor, I know it wasn't my business, but it was the stockest looking KG-4 block I ever looked at...OF COURSE, my 55-H block had never been touvhed excepted for being .040 over...

How come Craig Selvidge isn't listed??? Mike Minea? Or Doc what's his name with the Hedlunds....

I'm not sure I understand Fantasy A Hydro, but what about George Stillwell, Sr. at Guntersville, Alabama, 1962?? or '61...??? 50 A Hydros for 2 or 3 spots...

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
            Her's a few more to consider: Roy Minor, Don Graham III, Don Graham IV, (sorry about those two names), Dave Hoggard, Leo Liabach, Ed Wulf, Don Christy, Dick O'Dea, Amos Shaner, Nick Marchetti, Don Baldacini, Bud Goodwin, George Stilwell (Pappy) ? (last name spell??), Jim Colburn, Ted Thompson, Jeff Titus, Craig Dewald, (All champs and/or record holders). AMEN.

Sincerely,
            Don Graham
            Some of these names should be for A Runabout....

Smooth Water Miner is not in this class.. He had some good stuff but never like some listed here...

Ed Wulf's A was so fast in the '59 Nationals....Rosado's A Runabout would have beat the A Hydros, I'd bet...

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Hill View Post
              Rosado's A Runabout would have beat the A Hydros, I'd bet...
              I would use our A Hydro for a standard of how fast I wanted the A Runabout to go and usually could run as fast as the hydro. Our A Hydro took 1 US in 63, 65 and 66, so I had a good measuring stick to go by. In 69, I had a kilo setup that was running 58MPH, but the kilos were blown out and I stopped racing midway through the next season.

Bill Rosado

Comment

Dad finished 2nd in 1960 at Beliot in BSH, 2nd in 1961 at Guntersville in ASH , and 1st IN 1962 at Guntersville in ASH.
                In 1961 Christy was First, Dad Second and Hutch Third
                In 1962 Dad First was First, Christy Second and Hutch Third
                Dad won six heats just to get in the show that year.
                Now how fast did you have to run back then to win in ASH I still have the time slips from the runs through the Kilos
                Two one way runs at 62 and change and two return runs at 58 and change, the course was at the end of the lake
                and two short for an A going the other way. I still have the motor and prop from back then.
                When Edgar tore the motor down at inspection he just scratched his head and said there is no reason that
                the motor is so fast it aint even balanced. Lots of stories from back in the day from behind the scenes.
                Dad could have done better but we just didn have the money to put an all out effort but boat racing and his boat racing friends was his passion.
                Destiny is a matter of chance,it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.

Comment

Ash 1961

Hi George: If you are talking about ASH finals in Guntersville, AL 1961 then your facts are wrong. In 1961 the final results were Don Christy, Pappy and me (Don Graham). Also I watched a guy by the name of Amos Shaner break the ASH one mile straigtaway record at 55 + MPH. The guys just were not running as fast as you quoted. Best on closed courses was about 53 to 54 with good punch.

Sincerely,
                  Don Graham

Comment

Don I may have been wrong about who finished third in 1961 but as far as the records and speeds you are very wrong. I knew Shaner and Cristy very well, Shaner used Cristys Motor and broke the record at over 60 mile and hour in 1962 just look in the old propeller year books which I still have and you will see what the ASH records were. Ala was a measured 1 and 2/3 measured course so you didnt need a whole lot of punch.
                    Destiny is a matter of chance,it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.

Comment

George, I have to agree with Don about the speeds back then. I got 2nd at the 65 Nationals, beating Don Christy and all the other big guns doing about 55. From 63 to 66, we never went faster than 57 and got 1US three times in 4 years and placed nationals top 5 a few times. Please scan and post those pages as I don't recall those speeds until the late 60's into the 70's.

Bill Rosado

Comment

George: Great stories though. Great times. In 1961 there were 33 ASH's in the elims with only 2 open spots. You better have been first or out.
                        I watched all the straigtaway record attemp runs and in particular remember
                        George (Pappy) taking everything out of his boat that he could to gain more speed. Look up Amos Shaner's record for that event. I think now that I was wrong at 55 and that it may have been 56. I also saw Bob Todd run 72+ with his BSH.

Don Graham

Comment

Fantasy Finals -ASH

The "Doc whats his name" that Ron Hill refers to would be none other than Dr. Stuart Wilson of Elm Grove, WI. Noted surgeon at the Froedtert/Medical College of Wisconsin who just might have that KG-4 in his basement!
                          I would like to add B.J. Raji for Fantasy Pit Crew.
                          Hope to see some of you at Top 'O next summer.

Comment

B.J. Raji?

For what, a tow vehicle?!
                            Dan Wilde
                            58-C

"Don't let a win go to your head, or a loss to your heart." Chuck D

Comment

Doc Rocks..................

Originally posted by Chip Trampe View Post
                              The "Doc whats his name" that Ron Hill refers to would be none other than Dr. Stuart Wilson of Elm Grove, WI
                              Doc Wilson saved my dads life at the 1973 Utah Stock Outboard Nationals. My dad suffered what my mom and crew felt was just overheating but Doc was pitted next to us and diognoised it as a heart attack. He/we rushed my dad to Salt Lake City where he was tended to. My dads heart is still rocking and he is in his 70's living down in sunny Florida!

Go Doc!

Comment

I don't think this is in the correct place, but I saw Dr. Stuart Wilson, Dr. Phil Wagner, Dick Hoppenrath, John Schubert, Ron Hedlund, Gerry Hedlund, Don Anderson, Ron Anderson, Ralph Donald, and Billy Seebold in Naples, Florida a couple of weeks ago. They all looked great!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X