No announcement yet.

Live From Seattle - APBA Meeting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=B Walker;150573]You can only run 3 heats per day and charge the same amount per entry if you can run those 3 heats in the same amount of time that it takes to run 2 heats currently.

Good luck with that.

BW[/QUOTE
    I see you are ignoring the less classes aspect of the equation

"The Coffee Guy"
    TEAM CAFFEINE
    Cranked up and ready to Roll

Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its troubles. It empties today of its strengths (Corrie ten Boom)

"Cup of Joe? Not no mo! Kevs Coffee is the only way to go!" (John Runne 09)
    " IF you can find a better cup of coffee... Kev will drink it!" (Michael Mackey 08)

Comment

Kev,
      We proposed that two or three years ago. We got shot down on that too.
      John Runne
      2-Z

Stock Outboard is all about a level playing field.

True parity is one motor per class.

It's RACING, not just another boat ride!

NOT a representative of Racing Outboards LLC.

Comment

If you want to save time.....use Lemans starts! We spend about 1/2 of our race time milling.
        John Runne
        2-Z

Stock Outboard is all about a level playing field.

True parity is one motor per class.

It's RACING, not just another boat ride!

NOT a representative of Racing Outboards LLC.

Comment

Originally posted by csh2z View Post
          Kev,
          We proposed that two or three years ago. We got shot down on that too.
          I know you did. It still needs to be addressed. I think Bills point about the steering commitee is more valid than is comfortable

"The Coffee Guy"
          TEAM CAFFEINE

Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its troubles. It empties today of its strengths (Corrie ten Boom)

" IF you can find a better cup of coffee... Kev will drink it!" (Michael Mackey 08)

Comment

I see you are ignoring the less classes aspect of the equation
            I did not ignore it, I have just given up even discussing the concept of less classes until there is a rule or designated process back in the rulebook for removing a class.

My suggested rule was simple: "Any class with no entries at the Stock Outboard Long Course National Championships for 3 years in a row will be removed"

This modest proposal was shot down.

BW
            Last edited by B Walker; 02-03-2010, 01:00 PM.
            302SSH.....Putting the Stock back in Stock Outboard

Comment

Originally posted by csh2z View Post
              If you want to save time.....use Lemans starts! We spend about 1/2 of our race time milling.
              It would make what we do more understandable to spectators. It would make racing more exciting also. AND last but not least would require boat changes and major prop changes ( I think) which is the main reason it will be a hard sell. I have suggested doing it in some classes. I have recieved some very cold, hard stares for my trouble LOL

"The Coffee Guy"
              TEAM CAFFEINE

Comment

Originally posted by Kev43V View Post
                Troy, Don is not wrong in this. He is saying keep the cost per heat the same but run more heats. it equates to the same money in entry fees.
                ?? I was in agreement

Comment

no, not really

Originally posted by B Walker View Post
                  You can only run 3 heats per day and charge the same amount per entry if you can run those 3 heats in the same amount of time that it takes to run 2 heats currently.

Good luck with that.

BW
                  At Burlington, WI, Beloit, WI, Oshkosh, WI, Rochelle, Il we usually click off heats at a rate of 5 minutes per heat, sometimes even quicker if we speed up the clock. I'm not talking about doing this AFTER we reduce classes but NOW!! maybe not all clubs can do it, but some can. And I'm only talking about starting with 1 or 2 classes per day. that is an additional 10 minutes of racing time, that is just noise when discussing the overall cost of the event. You would never notice either the cost or the extra time at the end of the day.

Bill
                  Support your local club and local races.

Bill Pavlick

I'm just glad I'm not Michael Mackey - BPIII

Comment

Class Guidelines

Glad to see people have sparked up here. Things were getting a little dull.

By the way...Howie...SO Insurance is $1900...not $2600. You deserve a refund. And you are paying officials hotel rooms, etc??? Yikes. $6k total??! Up here, as Brian Williams stated...we can run a race at roughly $3100-$3400.

Here's the proposal I wrote last year on behalf of the SO Steering Committee. It was met with virtual silence by the SORC. The minimum number of "30" is open for debate. It seemed fair to me at the time.

Also...something is getting lost in the discussion. Just because a class is eliminated DOESN'T necessarily mean that driver will quit racing altogether. The numbers in the remaining classes would improve. I mean, is it totally ridiculous to think someone may still WANT to race a different class if one of their was no longer in existence? I believe some racers would still want to race...and do whatever they had to in order to continue.

Stock Outboard Class Participation Guidelines

1. In order for a class to be recognized with National standing and be eligible for all awards for a racing season, there must be at least 30 participants in the preceding racing year.
                    2. Participants will be defined as any driver who garnered points in a SO class during the racing year.
                    3. Should a class not have 30 participants in a racing year, the class will be deemed a local/regional class for the next racing year. The class will not be eligible for National High Points, National or Divisional championships or records. Further, no activity in that class will count toward Hall of Champion points.
                    4. If the class reaches a minimum of 30 participants in the year it is designated as a local/regional class, it will be reinstated as a National class for the next year. If a SO class falls below 30 participants for two consecutive years, that class will remain as a local/regional class AND be placed on Probation. To be removed from Probation and return to National standing, a class must meet the minimum of 30 participants for two consecutive years.
                    5. Should a SO class be on Probation for two consecutive years, it will be dropped by the SORC from the SO category.

Comment

• Originally posted by BP125V View Post
                      At Burlington, WI, Beloit, WI, Oshkosh, WI, Rochelle, Il we usually click off heats at a rate of 5 minutes per heat, sometimes even quicker if we speed up the clock. I'm not talking about doing this AFTER we reduce classes but NOW!! maybe not all clubs can do it, but some can. And I'm only talking about starting with 1 or 2 classes per day. that is an additional 10 minutes of racing time, that is just noise when discussing the overall cost of the event. You would never notice either the cost or the extra time at the end of the day.

Bill
                      Bill,
                      That is a good idea - you are correct, TRORA could do the same at some race sites because of the way the site is set up, we can knock out heats pretty quickly as well.
                      On question, how would you decide which class gets 3 heats that day? The 2 classes with the most entries? What if that class has elims? Most places are doing 2 heat elims, so at least 12 guys are already getting 4 heats.

Random draw?
                      Brian 10s

Comment

• Originally posted by dholt View Post

Stock Outboard Class Participation Guidelines

1. In order for a class to be recognized with National standing and be eligible for all awards for a racing season, there must be at least 30 participants in the preceding racing year.
                        2. Participants will be defined as any driver who garnered points in a SO class during the racing year.
                        3. Should a class not have 30 participants in a racing year, the class will be deemed a local/regional class for the next racing year. The class will not be eligible for National High Points, National or Divisional championships or records. Further, no activity in that class will count toward Hall of Champion points.
                        4. If the class reaches a minimum of 30 participants in the year it is designated as a local/regional class, it will be reinstated as a National class for the next year. If a SO class falls below 30 participants for two consecutive years, that class will remain as a local/regional class AND be placed on Probation. To be removed from Probation and return to National standing, a class must meet the minimum of 30 participants for two consecutive years.
                        5. Should a SO class be on Probation for two consecutive years, it will be dropped by the SORC from the SO category.
                        I second that motion.
                        "Ask anyone, I have no friends. I do have some people that put up with me and mostly because they like the rest of my family"

Don Allen

Comment

• All in favor.....

Dana's proposal seems right on. It's just a shame we're all speaking about this after the national meeting and not before it.
                          Shawn Breisacher

Comment

• Originally posted by 14J View Post
                            ?? I was in agreement
                            sry I see i responded to a repy to your post

"The Coffee Guy"
                            TEAM CAFFEINE

Comment

• Shawn,

Unfortunately, having this argument prior to the recent meeting wouldn't have mattered.

Like I said, it was presented 2 years ago and barely got a response.

Also, look at the decisions that were just made. The Yamatos were reinstated into 25ssR, the Merc 'A' back in 'A' classes, the restricted 102 back in 20ssH.

The current culture is not to rock the boat (no pun intended).

Also, as Big Don wrote, how could we think about possible elimination of classes where we've just approved brand new motors @$4500/each?

Seems like the status quo will have to reign for a few years and see where the new engines take the "borderline" classes. That is the smart/fair thing to do for both the mfg. and the new owner of that equipment.

Years from now...maybe things will change.

Comment

• That's a great idea

Originally posted by Big Don View Post
                                Agree and I'll throw out the first idea. Less classes and then 3 or 4 heats per day.
                                Don, this is a great idea......reduce the number of classes and consolidate our driver pool. That is exactly the kind of thinking that you voted out. Everything that was heading us in that direction was reversed and now we will have more classes than ever, a diluted pool of drivers, 3 and 4 boat classes all day long.

You did have a great idea about the customer service. Kind of an exit poll for people who have not renewed.

But, we will need the infrastructure at APBA to do it.

Comment

Working...
                                X