Stock Outboard membership growth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stock Outboard membership growth

Stock Outboard did a statistical analysis of the membership over a 20 or 30 year period a few years ago. After the analysis, a survey was sent out.

This analysis showed that Stock Outboard did not have a problem getting new members: it had a problem keeping members. Stock Outboard actually does a pretty good job of getting new members. These new members typically race for 3-5 years then fade away. Customer retention has driven the decisions of the majority of members of the SORC for several years now.

One of the questions asked in the survey was why did you leave? The answers were predictable. Most of the reasons given the SORC had no power to change: too expensive, just had a baby, went back to school, etc…

But one answer was fairly common and the SORC is addressing it. A lot of people felt they could not compete against the “dynasty families” that had multiple generations of knowledge, experience, and access to a limited supply of special parts. I think they were right……the playing field was not fair for a new racer.

Having new or reconditioned motors available for immediate purchase that are competitive, right off the shelf or at a low cost to achieve parity, has been statistically proven to be a factor that will increase long term growth in Stock Outboard.

This SORC has made tremendous efforts to not put anyone on the beach through this transition. In every case, there is a place to use the old out-of-production motors in APBA, either as a local class or in the modified category. This is a very different way of handling a necessary transition than what the SORC of 1984 did with KG-4’s and Mk-15’s.

Let us all try to keep some perspective on this difficult transition.

In the spirit of suggesting solutions, instead of criticisms, what do you think the SORC should do to increase membership and long term growth in Stock Outboard?

Brad Walker
    302SSH.....Putting the Stock back in Stock Outboard

I have seen and found that you can have the best engine and boat but if you don't know what to do with it you will not be competitive. Some folks like J Michael Kelly and others can make a piece of junk competitive but that is the exception.

I have three things that make folks good racers. First you need to get good at driving, second is you have to be good at timing your starts and the most frustrating and expensive item to me is all the money spent on trying to get the perfect prop. When you first start racing we only had 2 props for two boats. It was rough and not a lot of fun. At nationals you look at some of the competitive teams and they have a whole wall of props in there trailer. If we had not been having fun and were determined we would of given up.

My suggestion is maybe have a couple classes where you take props out of the equation so that the new folks just have to work on their driving skills but something that can work for a big size range of people. Kind of like the program in California, NorCal 400

Just an idea
    Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

As is evidenced by the J program ... there is no such thing as "taking props out of the equation"

Comment

I have often thought of a "Factory" class.

Sealed Motor
        Stock Aluminum Prop
        Stock foot
        Templated boat or a designated boat builder.
        claiming
        name and shame table at inspection

Too bad there is just no way a discussion of another new class would even get off the ground.

BW

Comment

It would have to start outside Stock, and maybe outside APBA ... but if you got it rolling, you'd be invited in real quick.

About the closest thing currently is the OPC mini classes in Minnesota

Comment

My suggestion is maybe have a couple classes where you take props out of the equation so that the new folks just have to work on their driving skills but something that can work for a big size range of people. Kind of like the program in California, NorCal 400
            It is true that people have put more money into props now, but in the recent past it would take building dozens of motors to find the right combination that would give the extra mile an hour.

In the Mercury "A" days there was 3-4 MPH difference between a great motor and an average one. A doggy motor was 5 off. When I first started racing ASR I would get lapped fairly often racing against some of the best ASR's in the country every weekend. I have not seen someone get lapped in a long time.

Motor parity has occurred, less money needed to spend on motors means more money can be spent on props.

BW

Comment

Common Theme

Can't be competitive.

Here is my suggestion, allow testing at EVERY RACE. it does not do a newbie all tha tmuch to go play at a local lake testing set ups, getting speed, etc. A rookie can have 4MPH on the field and still finish mid pack or even further back. Why ? Experience is the answer, period.

They don't get to practice with other boats out there, they don't get to practice starts, they don't get to practice the perfect line on a race course. Any bozzo can go test at a local lake with a race boat, it does not take much skill to drive a race boat. It takes skill to race a race boat.

One thing that is lacking at the majority of races in APBA I have noticed, is testing. It seems it is taboo to ask for testing. Not to keep harping on other organizations, but most allow testing for a few hours each race day. On Sunday I can understand limiting it. How do you accomplish this ? You shorten your number of classes to a managable level. Stock is is the largest member number category for a reason.... they have a lot more classes than any other category. Eliminate, combine do whatever it is to get your program down to less than 20 heats a day. This works, and it is proven it works without pissing anyone off. USTS, and the NBRA run about the same type of schedule. Short, full fields because there are only a small number of classes. USTS has a set schedule that has not changed in years. You know when you will race at EVERY race. You can use this in promoting, the largest class will race on X day around X time. Same goes for NBRA, while they don't have a set schedule, they begin racign at around 1:00 PM each day and finish between 4:00 and 5:00 PM each day. Testing usually occurs from 9:00 - 10:00 Am and lasts until 11:30 or noon and drivers meeting, then lets go racing. It works people, both the USTS and NBRA get the sponsors and the spectators. How many of you stockers have attended the Pro Nat's in Depue ? Lots of sponsors and spectators. Same for the NBRA races. They can sell the program because it is short, and condensed to make full fields, and exciting racing. They can put an ad in the local paper saying races start at 1:00 PM and end at 5:00 PM. Ask anyone, who doe NOT like structure ? Everyone does. Not knowing what motor to put on a boat until after drivers meeting because the schedule might dictate different only adds stress to your program. As mentioned before, NBRA combined many classes to make full fields and eliminate weaker number classes, yet maintained everyone with a APBA stock or Mod engine a class to race in and have a chance to win.

So until you guys eliminate some of your classes, or combine them, I don't see a stock outboard growth and retention program. It will suffer the same fate it has for the last ten years.

I don't race stock, so my opinion probably means less than crap to you guys, but I do have one. I am for boat racing, ask anyone, I love the sport no matter what is racing. I have my preferences same as anyone else.

You really want to stir the pot, put this in your rules, any class without at least 8 entries at each race in the next year will be comined with a comprable class. See how short your schedule becomes then. I bet it becomes manageble.
              Dave Mason
              Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Originally posted by Dave M View Post
                You really want to stir the pot, put this in your rules, any class without at least 8 entries at each race in the next year will be comined with a comprable class. See how short your schedule becomes then. I bet it becomes manageble.
                Dave,

I think there would be one class. That could be fun!
                hauenstein outboard team
                186-W * 28-C * 4-T * C-101

Comment

One Heat

Mike,
                  In Austin that would be one heat, run what you brung, A hydro through Champ.lol
                  Dan Wilde
                  58-C

"Don't let a win go to your head, or a loss to your heart." Chuck D

Comment

The Big reason I have been told that testing has been eliminated is the price of ambulances. You are talking about another day with an ambulance fee.
                    Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

we have a day of testing at several of our races... EDIT ( I am pretty sure there is no ambulance when we test, it is done under something else, and everyone has to sign a waiver, maybe I'm wrong and have missed this all this time.)

I know testing is key, but like he said, anyone can go to some lake and DRIVE a race boat, but there is nothing like RACING a race boat. My first race, I spent the entire 4 hours allotted out on that course. At the end of those 4 hours, I was making a pretty solid time around the course. Without that testing I dont know what I would have done.... I changed so many things during that time, steering, kickout, depth, turn fin depth, and learned how to use my body in the boat with smooth transitions in and out of corners. I couldn't have imagined going into my first race without having spent that much time testing first. And I spend plenty of time testing when ever there is a testing time.
                      Last edited by Silas_53A; 08-21-2009, 09:12 AM.
                      Silas Jordan
                      Windham, Maine
                      CSR 53A (2B till the boat gets redone)
                      Sigma Nu, IN-549

Comment

Does k&K insurance know about this?
                        bill b

Comment

Competing against the Dyansty Families will be tought to beat in any sport. Anytime you can open something up, loosen this, plug that, tighten this, shave that use this cast or that cast, must have the - 2E and the "E" must be cast in upside down....the dynasty can have even more of an advantage.
                          The sindwinder is going to limit some of this for sure, however, i still have a feeling that something will be found in it. People will always try something and find it does something. Isn't that why we have so many people sending motors here and gear feet here?
                          I've said it before, Spec class racing would have been great to do with a Sindwinder. Authorized guys only on sealed motors. No Touching - Anyone.

If the motors are reliable and stand up to a dunk now and again without internal damage, as it sounds like these have, it would be perfect. Still have boats and props to play with.
                          ----
                          Graham18ce
                          Team Canada ThunderCat
                          Facebook - www.facebook.com\fralickracing
                          Twitter @FralickRacing
                          Instagram @FralickRacing

Comment

It doesn't matter what Motor, Boat, or Prop you mandate the people winning today will be winning tomorrow. They win by doing there homework testing and being excellent drivers. These people will always find a way to win. Instead of trying to change rules so you can win put that effort in to going faster, you'll be better off.
                            Nic Thompson

www.tbrboats.com

Comment

A sweeter taste of victory

New racers have to remember that the victory over a "dynasty family" in racing, is the beginning of your own dynasty in racing. I have told my son, dreams of winning come true, but they don't come free. And on another note, dynasty racing families we know, have told Skippy, that you don't win races jumping the gun and getting towed in upside down. In stock outboard racing, the dynasty families I know have always been very supportive. If they weren't, who would they have to race against?

I must be really bored. I've never posted on 3 forum threads in one sitting.

Rick Wagner Sr.

P.S. L.O.L. On the other hand, a new racer could always marry into one of the dynasty families. I don't mean this in a back woods way, it's a fact, a lot our Wisconsin racers are related.

Comment

Working...
                              X