No announcement yet.

New CSR weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mr Weber, 230 buddy, Im not eaten a thing LOL. I need about 5 lbs of lead right now. As I've mentioned and elaborated in many conversations, I think it would be a benefit to CSR(less Yamato 25's) and possibly DSR(Tohatsu) for this proposal to be passed.
    sigpic

Comment

Yup, yup, yup. Nobody wants to help me on the scales with 50lbs of lead in my boat! To be a devils advocate though, I agree that there are plenty of classes for the sub 200 lb guys and limited for the over crowd. At 170lbs. though,call me selfish, but she's hitting the mail tomorrow with a big fat YES...
      Future J dad!

Comment

csr

I will vote no. Trying to cut weight now.
        82F
        Mark O'Brien

Comment

I think modern construction techniques and materials may be playing a part here.

My Neal CSR from 10 years ago was all wood, and tipped the scale rigged at 140 or so, new. After a few years it was around 150-155. At that point it moved on to CMR.

My first Runne I had 45 lbs of lead in and I weigh over 200. I have to admit all that lead "aged" the boat prematurely, and people ran away from the scales when they saw me comin'.

New CSR's made with composite materials and with modern construction are easily less than 100lbs, rigged. They are just as strong or stronger than the old way of making boats.

discuss

BW
          Last edited by B Walker; 03-16-2009, 04:58 PM.
          302SSH.....Putting the Stock back in Stock Outboard

Comment

I was putting in 15 lbs of led in at 220 lbs last year with brand new wood so that would have made me right on weight with this proposal. I am planning at running at 185-190 this year so I can possibly start getting a 20" B sidewinder ready for the 2010-11' season.

Regardless of all my pipe dream plans, I believe lowering the weight along with the elimination of the Yamato in 2011/2012 in the 25 class would help tremendously in the CSR counts at local races.

Given the numbers: ~90lb motor + 220 driver + 7lb kevlar = 327lb - 460 total = 133lb boat.

A 130 lbs CSR is not too hard to build now a days.

Leaving anyone over 200 the C and D classes and anyone under 200 and over 180 the B and C classes.

Just my rational. If you have to build a 90 lbs CSR to compete you should probably help those guys out in Washington and buy a Tohatsu. We need more D's anyway.
            sigpic

Comment

ok eliminate the102 in 25 but leave csr alone some of us dont have new boats and if they ran from the scales 15 lbs they will still be running its only 7.5 lbs per person lifting on the back course if you put it on the nose one guy has to get the whole 15 course I guess i could just take my fat self to inboard or opc

Comment

Not to get off topic, but the 20ci Sidewinder class has me stoked out of my brain.

Cant wait to see them on the water

I would actually consider losing significant weight for that.

BW

Comment

Chip, I really cant make out what your point was on that one. Are you the guy with those black hydrobouts? If you are, I solute you! And if you are willing to give up over 15 lbs to go to OPC or inboard in THIS economy, once again, I solute you!

Brad, Ohhh Yea!
                  Last edited by MGallagher; 03-16-2009, 08:30 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MGallagher View Post
                    I was putting in 15 lbs of led in at 220 lbs last year with brand new wood so that would have made me right on weight with this proposal. I am planning at running at 185-190 this year so I can possibly start getting a 20" B sidewinder ready for the 2010-11' season.

Regardless of all my pipe dream plans, I believe lowering the weight along with the elimination of the Yamato in 2011/2012 in the 25 class would help tremendously in the CSR counts at local races.

Given the numbers: ~90lb motor + 220 driver + 7lb kevlar = 327lb - 460 total = 133lb boat.

A 130 lbs CSR is not too hard to build now a days.

Leaving anyone over 200 the C and D classes and anyone under 200 and over 180 the B and C classes.

Just my rational. If you have to build a 90 lbs CSR to compete you should probably help those guys out in Washington and buy a Tohatsu. We need more D's anyway.
                    I am currently required to add 7lbs to make 475lbs.

If it does go to 460lbs for 2010 I will meet everyone at the scales @ 460lbs!
                    17W

"You gotta do the work"- Pop Trolian

Comment

No thank you!

Would like the currnet weight to stay as it is. Of course, my main interest is marathon, so you can understand where I might be wanting to 'build in' a little weight to brave Mullet then Burt Lake when things get a little snotty!
                      My plans are to build a short course to race at R6 events. Could I build a CSR that would be competitive?? I weigh 182lbs. KampKurz

Comment

Kampkurz-At 182 you could run that white V bottom boat that runs the marathon, that'll get you through Burt and Mullet, right?

Bakkus- Yea big boy!
                        sigpic

Comment

White Deep V!

Okay, But I doubt Roland D. would get off the 'Deep 6R' racer, he sure seems to enjoy running it. Personally, I prefer to get beat up a little more than that!
                          What design is that boat in your avatar, weight? Nice lines. Kampkurz

Comment

It is a Rich Runne/Bobby Austin design. It weighs around 130lbs. Used 6mm bottom and 4mm decks both tapered to 3mm bottom and 4mm decks toward the front with 4 frames and about 15 stringers.
                            sigpic

Comment

So I am coming to understand the point of this ballot item is to help in the coming transition of 25SSR.

By lowering the weight it allows more current equipment owners a place to race when Yamato is no longer allowed in 25SSR.

So, I changed my mind to support the ballot item.

I also understand most people vote for their own self interest rather than whats good for all of Stock Outboard and do not expect the item to pass.

The fat boys still outnumber the skinny ones, haha

But maybe the skinny ones are better organized.

BW
                              Last edited by B Walker; 03-17-2009, 06:05 AM.

Comment

Come on guys!!! I understand that most people will vote for their own self interests. I am currently dropping weight which means I will be adding lead. That is just fine by me. Making the big guys less competitive will not increase DSR numbers, it will just make them throw up their hands and quit. DSR is and has been a dead class (except for marathons) for quite a few years now. Smaller guys have MORE than enough classes to race. I am not saying that they shouldn't race CSR, Lyons proves that it can be done very well with a limited amount of "movable ballast." If the west coast guys that are in the right weight range knew what they were missing out on, they would be climbing over each other to get a Hot Rod/Sidewinder. Let's not give that group and others like it another excuse to not find out about those classes. I don't want to make the big guys who may be on a bit of a shoestring budget build a $5000 space-age boat to remain in competition. This class has been just fine the way it is, let's not screw with it. Lyons, if you change your vote, I will volunteer to help you on the scale at every race we are at together. I am sure Bakus is with me as well. We can give you the sissy end!

Comment

Working...
                                X