non racer with just aquired sst 45 tunnel need info please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FastFreddie View Post
    You yanks should really try a new approach, Ive been watching here for a couple years, and every single time a newb shows up and announces he has a new tunnel & has a couple questions, it always the same story, stop Immediately, do not proceeded, you will shoot your eye out!

Before this thread too becomes out of control, as history here dictates I agree a warning is necessary, there are knobbers in the world, but that said leave it alone already, who said the newb to the board isnt an experienced driver?

he starts off with: dont want to race it, Like to prop it for lower speeds, seems to me my mate knows, something, yeah?
    He is starting off in the correct direction with RESPECT for the boat, .he may not be a prop expert & merley needs some tech help, he just wants to slow it down!, but you boys go immediately to the same place, you will shoot your eye out!

but the worst part is, seems like superior apba card holders wether they have a 45 or not needs to repeat the same crap over & over in the same thread...it looks like you all have this holier than thou attitude that no one is capable, other than an apba card holder, nor intelligent enough to to realize that he bought a thoroughbred race boat, seriously mates, Ive seen pages of this crap here before, even when a guy says he has racing experience, high perf boats , it doesnt seem to matter if he tells you hes a bloody astronaut, it still goes on for pages

I reckon there are many that own race boats that arent apba members, that may have finally come raced with you out of sheer boredom from running alone, but they will remember their introduction to you guys here on the board, & ask themselves, do I even want to race with the holier than thou?.

Its no wonder your membership history has been on a steady decline

NOW youve got something to go on about, Flame On

i-flier63 check your PM's for the help you wanted

You come to a racing web site where responsible veteran racers hang out and what would expect? No we do not beat around the bush when it comes to telling the truth about safety etc. This is a racing site and yes racing can be fun but it also can be deadly so there is no point and sugar coating it.

Your post might be valid if this was gardening made easy.com but it’s not so I respectfully disagree with you. If just one of these post makes this young man stop and think for a second then our job is done. Racing boats regardless of age or style are not toys and should be treated as such, I would rather loose this person as a member then loose him to a preventable joy riding accident.
    HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV

Comment

Well put Dan.

Originally posted by Admin View Post
      You come to a racing web site where responsible veteran racers hang out and what would expect? No we do not beat around the bush when it comes to telling the truth about safety etc. This is a racing site and yes racing can be fun but it also can be deadly so there is no point and sugar coating it.

Your post might be valid if this was gardening made easy.com but it’s not so I respectfully disagree with you. If just one of these post makes this young man stop and think for a second then our job is done. Racing boats regardless of age or style are not toys and should be treated as such, I would rather loose this person as a member then loose him to a preventable joy riding accident.
      Nic Thompson

www.tbrboats.com

Comment

Originally posted by nicf14 View Post
        well Put Dan.

I Thought As Boat Racer We Were Not To Sell Race Boats To Non Racer, Ie. Lake Runnur Or River. Is"nt There Something In Rules About This.

And Yes Race Boats Are Just That A Raceboat Not A Toy. I To Have Some Injures And Most Of Them Were On A Race Course With Rescue. I Have Also Had Testing With And Aith Out Rescue And Result Were Bad. Thank God We Travel In Packs And Have Tow Boats And Friends Or Family That Are Emt . I Will Not Test With Out.

For What It Is Worth Ask A Lot Of ? And Get Help From Other Racers

RICHARD J BIRD
        TEAM
        MEANSTREAK/LEFTCOASTRACING
        THE PROP SHOP RACING TEAM
        MOST MODS AND SOME STOCKS

"WE ARE ALL HERE BECAUSE WE ARE NOT ALL THERE"

Comment

Non capsule 45

I personallywas in a rescue boat that had to pick up a dead 45 driver that had no capsule. Happened during testing, this guy was running maybe 60+ mph.Rolled the boat sideways the result, broken neck ,dead instantly. If your boat has no capsule and 1986 sounds like the timeline for that please take note. These boats were extremely dangerous for that reason.
          Art K

Comment

i-flier63 - 45 SST

Please be prudent in your quest. Those that have given advice do so because they care about your future. Many of them have been in dire cir***stances themselves even though they are quite experienced.

Personally I would delete the remarks from "fastfreddie"! All his comments were only to rile up the forum population. His comments cannot even fall under the term "Advice".

My experience is not that of a Racer but that of a Retired Coastie. I have Seen, Rescued and Attempted to Rescue individuals that all too many times attempted to Perform Beyond Their Abilities. Additionally I volunteer as a Tow Boat/Course Set up etc. boat at Hampton-VA, Elizabeth City-NC, Portsmouth-VA and this year to include Roanoake Rapids-NC & Manteo-NC. There are an abundance of "Bad Things" that can happen in the blink of an eye. Many have subtle warnings that occur prior to the event that only experience can teach you. A race boat "IS NOT A PLEASURE BOAT" and most states will not even allow them a registration number and you can forget about insurance.

Please take the advice of the individuals that are trying to help you understand the responsibility your will need to have to protect not only you but the boating public as well. I wish you well and hope to see you at the races.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Flint54; 02-23-2009, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MN1 View Post
              I'm not sure but a 1986 boat might be a non capsule boat. If so, these are more play ready than a capsule boat. I'm sure Ron Hill would be able to find a cheap play prop. http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/index.php
              Mark N
              What HE SAID, Have fun and enjoy!!!

Comment

Thank you all for the info. I may now sell the hull and put the motor on my sos express.I would still like info on the johnson 45 ss motor i.e. rpm range.
                ect.
                FYI: the sst 45 hull has an OH # , has an open cockpit.
                BTW: Have an '84 Baja scat cat with stock 25 Mariner if anyone is interested.
                Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by i-flier63 View Post
                  Thank you all for the info. I may now sell the hull and put the motor on my sos express.I would still like info on the johnson 45 ss motor i.e. rpm range.
                  ect.
                  FYI: the sst 45 hull has an OH # , has an open cockpit.
                  BTW: Have an '84 Baja scat cat with stock 25 Mariner if anyone is interested.
                  Thanks again.
                  Don't be discouraged and sell it yet. Does this boat have seat belts in the cockpit? And can you post a side photo? Let's see what ya got first! You could have a fun boat. If it's an non capsule boat it probably only ran around 65 to 70 mph. And being that old 65 mph might be a stretch.
                  Mark N

Comment

RPM wise: high as you can get it till it blows up, haha

high end of the powerband is in the 6800-7200 range.

If the motor is complete with racing gearcase it is certainly more valuable than the boat.

2-4 year old capsule 45 boats are available for 1000-3000 dollars and in Ohio your near alot of races for 45's (hint: find a nice used Hoffman)

Please consider bolting that race motor onto a contemporary boat and have some fun at a race near you.

cheers
                    BW
                    302SSH.....Putting the Stock back in Stock Outboard

Comment

Don't be discouraged and sell it yet. Does this boat have seat belts in the cockpit? And can you post a side photo? Let's see what ya got first! You could have a fun boat. If it's an non capsule boat it probably only ran around 65 to 70 mph. And being that old 65 mph might be a stretch.
                      Mark N
                      Sorry Mark but I'm having a hard time following your logic regarding how this could be fun. I raced Sport J - Formula 100 - Mod UJ and Champ all back in the early 80's my Mod UJ boat nearly killed me when I had my first blow over, I was doing about 70 when it lifted off and went over backwards. When it hit the water the steering collapsed trapping me in the cockpit and the boat proceed to sink with me stuck in cockpit.

Fun ???? I suggest that he put the motor on his fun boat and trash the old 45 hull, trust me when I tell you nothing good will come from it those old boats are nothing but trouble and should be burn.
                      HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV

Comment

Sure, all fast boats are dangerous. You just have know the boats limit of engine trim and speed. Don't see any capsules in stock outboards that run 70 mph. My point is that it's not any more dangerous than any other boat that runs 70 mph. Heck, I've seen rookies drive Champ Boats and do pretty good too. Just takes someone to help instruct in the rights and wrongs and the do's and don'ts.
                        Mark N

Comment

Sure, all fast boats are dangerous. You just have know the boats limit of engine trim and speed. Don't see any capsules in stock outboards that run 70 mph. My point is that it's not any more dangerous than any other boat that runs 70 mph. Heck, I've seen rookies drive Champ Boats and do pretty good too. Just takes someone to help instruct in the rights and wrongs and the do's and don'ts.
                          Mark N
                          You can lead a horse to water but you cant make him drink it

I have given my advice and I stick by it please be safe.
                          HTML Code:

Comment

I -flier 63 The People Here On This Site Are Not Trying To Discurage Anyone From Getting Into A Boat They Seem To Want To Help But Make Sure By Helping Nobody Gets Killed . Who Knows If You Get Some Local Help And Get Started On The Right Path Next Year You Could Be Asking How Do I Join Apba,where Can I Get A Up To Date Hull To Race . I Know It All Seems Like A Lecture But The Race Community Is One Big Family We Look Out For Vetrens And Rookies And Try To Look Out For Anyone Interested...... Have Fun Enjoy Just Get A Little Help If You Can

Comment

Sorry, Mark, I have to respectfully disagree.

45's are a bit of a special case and here is why:

45's are underpowered. The boat designers put craploads of extra lift into them to get them to perform. Drivers typically trim them waaaay under at the top of the straight just to keep them on the water. This asymmetry makes for an extremely unstable ride.

In my opinion, 45SST is the most difficult tunnel boat to drive. It is not the speed, its the design of the boat for the highest performance at the maximum theoretical speed the motor is able to push the boat and the hull is designed for. This has been developed and refined over the last 15-20 years to make a boat that is incredibly challenging to manage.

Its not a speed thing, its a driving thing.

Seems this discussion has escalated beyond i-flier63's simple request for info on where to get a prop.

Convo/PM anytime i-flier63 if your interested in any way about persuing racing that 45. I hope you do, it can be a life changing experience.

BW
                              302SSH.....Putting the Stock back in Stock Outboard

Comment

Originally posted by B Walker View Post
                                Sorry, Mark, I have to respectfully disagree.

45's are a bit of a special case and here is why:

45's are underpowered. The boat designers put craploads of extra lift into them to get them to perform. Drivers typically trim them waaaay under at the top of the straight just to keep them on the water. This asymmetry makes for an extremely unstable ride.

In my opinion, 45SST is the most difficult tunnel boat to drive. It is not the speed, its the design of the boat for the highest performance at the maximum theoretical speed the motor is able to push the boat and the hull is designed for. This has been developed and refined over the last 15-20 years to make a boat that is incredibly challenging to manage.

Seems this discussion has escalated beyond i-flier63's simple request for info on where to get a prop.

Convo/PM anytime i-flier63 if your interested in any way about persuing racing that 45. I hope you do, it can be a life changing experience.

BW
                                Uh Huh!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X