non racer with just aquired sst 45 tunnel need info please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• non racer with just aquired sst 45 tunnel need info please

I just got ahold of a 1986 sst 45 tunnel with a Johnson 45 ss outboard. I do not plan on racing at all but I would like to "play" with it. I need prop info as that is all it needs. Some of you out there probably know the boat. Like to prop it for lower speeds i.e. lower pitch, larger diameter but dont know where to start. Thanks in advance for any info. Boat # 144

Stop do not proceed! I'm sure you are very happy to have your new rig but until you know exactly what you have and the capabilities and dangers of running it. I would ask that you find a racer in your area to walk you through the dangers of playing with a racing hull.

Sorry I don't mean to rain on your fun but you are in possession of a racing hull that can possibly kill you if you are not skilled in the correct way to operate the hull.

Send me a PM with you phone number and I might be able to put you in touch with someone in your area that can walk you through proper steps of just playing with a race boat.
    HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV

Comment

Dan is right,It can kill you as quick as a gun.Their is a ton of knowledge on this site.Good luck and be safe.
      Bob

Comment

Sent you a PM

Dan #97

Comment

Im inclined to agree, as a non racer w/ a couple fast boats, I built the 1st one & made it faster gradually thru t & e. Then got another thats faster yet but have become experienced at the wheel along the way. One significant challenge is reading the water as its different at speed.
          Maybe your already an experienced driver ?? still, learn the particular boat & if your not.. go easy & talk to those who know. If its a capsule boat theres things you need to know for it to protect you properly. A chase boat is a good thing to have as you go. Maybe youll find a local ride pal too.
          Team Tower

Comment

Comment

I have to put my 2 cents worth in here.

RACING BOATS ARE NOT TOYS!

I will not put my boat(s) out on the water unless there is a rescue crew in a boat on the lake and a medical team on the beach.

I speak from experience. I spent many days in the hospital with a back that was broken in three places plus internal injuries when I blew over backwards during a race. It is very likely that the Professionals that got me out of the water, onto a backboard, into the ambulance and transported me to the hospital, saved my life.

I think you have acquired a nice piece of equipment, come race it. That is what it was built for.

Comment

It probably wont make much sense to someone that has not raced before, but a 45SST is actually harder to drive than its bigger brothers.

It is a relatively "underpowered" boat and tons of lift are built into the hulls to compensate. Tons of lift makes for a difficult to drive boat.

You can get in bad shape in a hurry in a 45. Please be careful.

Anyone that has raced for just a few years knows someone or has personally experienced a life threatening injury or death.

Heres some basic guidelines:

Never test/drive it alone, have a chase boat available with someone strong enough and skilled enough to remove your unconcious body from your upside down boat while your underwater.

Have a "just in case" plan worked out ahead of time with your chase boat crew. Ideally, your chase boat should be on the scene in 30 seconds or less. Jetski with a diver is the standard used at the races.

Attend the spring capsule training in your area. You will learn and practice underwater egress procedures.

Wear a helmet

Please consider actually racing this boat. There is no motorsport less expensive and fun than Outboard racing.

Try Ron Hill for a good prop, hes got good pricing and will work with you to find just the right wheel

http://www.hillmarine.com

BW
                Last edited by B Walker; 02-23-2009, 08:53 AM.
                302SSH.....Putting the Stock back in Stock Outboard

Comment

I-flier
                  everyone here wants to see you to enjoy your boat. What they do not want to see is a story in their paper about the guy who bought a 45 boat then went out for a test run. And is now a statistic due to not having the crew necessary to remove him from his boat if something goes wrong. and things go wrong in those boats. even in perfect conditions with very experienced drivers.
                  Please take it and you to a race! I would bet a pound of my best coffee that you will be shocked at the warm reception you receive! Not to mention the knowledge that you will take home with you.
                  who knows maybe people can contribute to keeping the ambulance there for an extra 20 or 30 min. and have some test time for you (and them). that would require you joining the APBA though for Ins. reasons

"The Coffee Guy"
                  TEAM CAFFEINE
                  Cranked up and ready to Roll

Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its troubles. It empties today of its strengths (Corrie ten Boom)

"Cup of Joe? Not no mo! Kevs Coffee is the only way to go!" (John Runne 09)
                  " IF you can find a better cup of coffee... Kev will drink it!" (Michael Mackey 08)

Comment

You yanks should really try a new approach, Ive been watching here for a couple years, and every single time a newb shows up and announces he has a new tunnel & has a couple questions, it always the same story, stop Immediately, do not proceeded, you will shoot your eye out!

Before this thread too becomes out of control, as history here dictates I agree a warning is necessary, there are knobbers in the world, but that said leave it alone already, who said the newb to the board isnt an experienced driver?

he starts off with: dont want to race it, Like to prop it for lower speeds, seems to me my mate knows, something, yeah?
                    He is starting off in the correct direction with RESPECT for the boat, .he may not be a prop expert & merley needs some tech help, he just wants to slow it down!, but you boys go immediately to the same place, you will shoot your eye out!

but the worst part is, seems like superior apba card holders wether they have a 45 or not needs to repeat the same crap over & over in the same thread...it looks like you all have this holier than thou attitude that no one is capable, other than an apba card holder, nor intelligent enough to to realize that he bought a thoroughbred race boat, seriously mates, Ive seen pages of this crap here before, even when a guy says he has racing experience, high perf boats , it doesnt seem to matter if he tells you hes a bloody astronaut, it still goes on for pages

I reckon there are many that own race boats that arent apba members, that may have finally come raced with you out of sheer boredom from running alone, but they will remember their introduction to you guys here on the board, & ask themselves, do I even want to race with the holier than thou?.

Its no wonder your membership history has been on a steady decline

NOW youve got something to go on about, Flame On

i-flier63 check your PM's for the help you wanted

Comment

Hmmmm, where to start?

Just so you know where I am coming from Freddy, my best friend and racing partner was killed racing. He knew exactly what he was doing. He grew up in a racing family. He was experienced. Accidents happen, right?

Now, go put a guy with little experience into a 45 and let er rip.

We can reasonably infer he has little experience because he is asking where to get a prop and anyone thats been around even a little bit knows who the prop people are. A google search or a peek at the manufacturers list in the top left hand corner of this website would have assisted the new owner in a search for a prop faster than posting here, but thats neither here nor there.

You accuse the community of a "holier than thou" and superior attitude to new potential racers and new owners of equipment. At least you admit a word or two of caution is warranted. However, you seem by your post as though your the one with the chip on the shoulder. I wonder why?

In the spirit of contributing rather than criticizing, I respectfully request Mr. FastFreddy to share with the community his formula for the proper mix of welcome to the world of powerboat racing, and watch out, it can bite you without sounding like a pompous arrogant jerk.

Standing by,
                      BW

Originally posted by FastFreddie View Post
                      You yanks should really try a new approach, Ive been watching here for a couple years, and every single time a newb shows up and announces he has a new tunnel & has a couple questions, it always the same story, stop Immediately, do not proceeded, you will shoot your eye out!

Before this thread too becomes out of control, as history here dictates I agree a warning is necessary, there are knobbers in the world, but that said leave it alone already, who said the newb to the board isnt an experienced driver?

he starts off with: dont want to race it, Like to prop it for lower speeds, seems to me my mate knows, something, yeah?
                      He is starting off in the correct direction with RESPECT for the boat, .he may not be a prop expert & merley needs some tech help, he just wants to slow it down!, but you boys go immediately to the same place, you will shoot your eye out!

but the worst part is, seems like superior apba card holders wether they have a 45 or not needs to repeat the same crap over & over in the same thread...it looks like you all have this holier than thou attitude that no one is capable, other than an apba card holder, nor intelligent enough to to realize that he bought a thoroughbred race boat, seriously mates, Ive seen pages of this crap here before, even when a guy says he has racing experience, high perf boats , it doesnt seem to matter if he tells you hes a bloody astronaut, it still goes on for pages

I reckon there are many that own race boats that arent apba members, that may have finally come raced with you out of sheer boredom from running alone, but they will remember their introduction to you guys here on the board, & ask themselves, do I even want to race with the holier than thou?.

Its no wonder your membership history has been on a steady decline

NOW youve got something to go on about, Flame On

i-flier63 check your PM's for the help you wanted
                      302SSH.....Putting the Stock back in Stock Outboard

Comment

Fred
                        Would you advise someone that has just bought a F1 or F3 CAR to go out on the interstate highway for their maiden voyage in the car?
                        or how about a drag car. go get a feel for the car, running up to the quik stop for a pint? AND do you think the people involved in those sports would advise someone to do that? How would someone that would advise someone to do the above, actually be an asset to their sport?
                        To me anyone that would advise someone to go break a handful of laws with a "new to them" race boat are not an asset to the sport.
                        Yes people have places all over the country that they can "test". In many of those places the local DNR are racer friendly or at least look the other way, when testing occurs. Yet how long would that good grace last, if we send novices to "their" water? At least when we go, they know we expect to fish each other out of the water if something happens. and not expect the local DNR to do it for us. when we come out of our UNregistered, UNlicensed, UNinsured RACE boat.

"The Coffee Guy"
                        TEAM CAFFEINE
                        Cranked up and ready to Roll

Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its troubles. It empties today of its strengths (Corrie ten Boom)

"Cup of Joe? Not no mo! Kevs Coffee is the only way to go!" (John Runne 09)
                        " IF you can find a better cup of coffee... Kev will drink it!" (Michael Mackey 08)

Comment

Originally posted by i-flier63 View Post
                          I just got ahold of a 1986 sst 45 tunnel with a Johnson 45 ss outboard. I do not plan on racing at all but I would like to "play" with it. I need prop info as that is all it needs. Some of you out there probably know the boat. Like to prop it for lower speeds i.e. lower pitch, larger diameter but dont know where to start. Thanks in advance for any info. Boat # 144

I think everyone ought to reread this post and start over!!!!! Sounds to me like he is looking for a good fishing prop and nothing that you could even attain any kind of racing speed with. Boy, the winter has really gotten to everyone.
                          Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

I'm not sure but a 1986 boat might be a non capsule boat. If so, these are more play ready than a capsule boat. I'm sure Ron Hill would be able to find a cheap play prop. http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/index.php
                            Mark N

Comment

Originally posted by blueskyracer View Post
                              I think everyone ought to reread this post and start over!!!!! Sounds to me like he is looking for a good fishing prop and nothing that you could even attain any kind of racing speed with. Boy, the winter has really gotten to everyone.
                              Sorry but you are wrong, you can still blow over backwards at 55mph break your neck and drown regardless of the prop size. The dangers of playing with a race boat are still there no matter what prop size you use, the right gust of wind can still blow you over and spell disaster!

As stated above they are not toys! This has nothing to do you winter or cabin fever. Like many of the posters above I have been in near fatal blow over’s during my racing days so I speak from experience.
                              HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV

Comment

Working...
                              X