new motors, etc and support!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new motors, etc and support!

while I can understand the support for the new Sidewinders, let not forget about our current long running Yamato engine supplier Ric Montoya!!!! This guy has spend TONS of his own money to support a LOT of classes we currently race. If not for the Yamato engines, kneeldown boat racing would pretty much be dead!! The SORC talks about promoting their classes for newcomers, but then has chosen to eliminate a current production and AVAILABLE motor for a current class...........25SSR. Do you really think in a couple years enough Sidewinders will be produced and purchased for the class to surive without the 302?????

Ric is the only one that has more than (10) COMPLETE (not buying a Merc from APBA and the gearcase from someone else) racing engines available to be purchased and shipped in a day or so!

before you start eliminating CURRENT AVAILABLE motors, you might think about what happens if something happens with the Sidewinder Co and they can no longer provide motors for a particular class............

we are all lucky Ric is uch a nice guy, cause if I were him, I would not be one bit happy with some of the choices being made!!!!!!!!!

BTW, if the answer is................the motors can be raced in mod (mod being a dumping ground for stock motors), you might want to consider that not everyone wants to be a "tinkerer"...............

another point is that with the current economic situation.............boat racing is an expense that a lot of people can do without. Do you really think $4500 is a viable expense right now (and in the next 2yrs)????????????

PS: I am in no way disrespecting Ron Selawach and Ed Runne, as I have know Rn for close to 10yrs now and know he has a good heart and is an honest man, but as they say....**** happens sometimes beyond ones control..........
    Last edited by mercguy; 01-26-2009, 08:35 PM.
    Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Yes sh-t does happen just look what happen today! 40,000 PINK SLIPS! if you have a job on Tuesday morning consider your self extremely lucky!

http://abcnews.go.com/video/playerIndex?id=6732174

http://abcnews.go.com/print?id=6731375
    HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV

Comment

Originally posted by mercguy View Post
      while I can understand the support for the new Sidewinders, let not forget about our current long running Yamato engine supplier Ric Montoya!!!! This guy has spend TONS of his own money to support a LOT of classes we currently race. If not for the Yamato engines, kneeldown boat racing would pretty much be dead!! The SORC talks about promoting their classes for newcomers, but then has chosen to eliminate a current production and AVAILABLE motor for a current class...........25SSR. Do you really think in a couple years enough Sidewinders will be produced and purchased for the class to surive without the 302?????

Ric is the only one that has more than (10) COMPLETE (not buying a Merc from APBA and the gearcase from someone else) racing engines available to be purchased and shipped in a day or so!

before you start eliminating CURRENT AVAILABLE motors, you might think about what happens if something happens with the Sidewinder Co and they can no longer provide motors for a particular class............

we are all lucky Ric is uch a nice guy, cause if I were him, I would not be one bit happy with some of the choices being made!!!!!!!!!

BTW, if the answer is................the motors can be raced in mod (mod being a dumping ground for stock motors), you might want to consider that not everyone wants to be a "tinkerer"...............

another point is that with the current economic situation.............boat racing is an expense that a lot of people can do without. Do you really think $4500 is a viable expense right now (and in the next 2yrs)????????????

PS: I am in no way disrespecting Ron Selawach and Ed Runne, as I have know Rn for close to 10yrs now and know he has a good heart and is an honest man, but as they say....**** happens sometimes beyond ones control..........

Very nicely said. I was beginning to wonder if anyone on this site had watched the news in the last year or been effected by a layoff yet. Ric has sure helped us out. He is a great guy. Also, if Yamato is cut off after all of the years of support and all of the eggs are put in one basket what happens if Sidewinder goes like a lot of US companies in this current economic climate. Then what do you have?
      Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

The Y-302

Darren,

The 302 was not scheduled to be removed from the 20SSH class or the CSR, CSH classes.

And there was overwelming support of the model 302, as the 102 runs out of parts people will move from the 102 to the 302, 25 drivers will migrate to the CSR class.

The price tag of the side winder is what it is and they are up front about your cost to have a race ready motor.

What is the cost of a race ready Merc 15? Approaching $4000

What is the cost of a race ready Yamato 302? Approaching $3000
        BTW a new 302 is approx $6000 and you cannot purchase one.

What is the Cost of a Bass Tohatsu? $6500

With the low cost of the 302 and the availability of used motors we have a nice balance of price ranges.
        If you perceive the cost of the new sidewinder or Bass Tohatsu to be too much you will be more likely to enter the C class at that lower cost. So I believe we have helped Ric.

Scott
        Last edited by reed28n; 01-27-2009, 06:26 AM.

Comment

As stated last week, The best thing we could do for Ric would be to eliminate the 102 from the C class. Is that what you want?
          John Runne
          2-Z

Stock Outboard is all about a level playing field.

True parity is one motor per class.

It's RACING, not just another boat ride!

NOT a representative of Racing Outboards LLC.

Comment

Originally posted by csh2z View Post
            As stated last week, The best thing we could do for Ric would be to eliminate the 102 from the C class. Is that what you want?
            Take it a step further, pull the 35 year old 80 from 20SSH.

New and available??
            20SSH: Restricted 302 and Sidewinder 20CI

Comment

Hey Guys..........................

Originally posted by 14J View Post
              Take it a step further, pull the 35 year old 80 from 20SSH.

New and available??
              20SSH: Restricted 302 and Sidewinder 20CI
              Troy
              Since you and Johnny are hell bent on eliminating all the existing motors we run in Stock Outboard, why don't you guys step up and stroke a check for a few Sidewinders, Tahatsos and 302's.................That may help get us out of the recession!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Dagostino View Post
                Troy
                Since you and Johnny are hell bent on eliminating all the existing motors we run in Stock Outboard, why don't you guys step up and stroke a check for a few Sidewinders, Tahatsos and 302's.................That may help get us out of the recession!
                For the record I'm not hell bent on anything. I'm simply stating that "IF" the objective is to eliminate obsolete motors we should start with the oldest. I actually disagree with John regarding the 102 in the C class.

..........and guess what, if the 102 went away tomorrow I'd go out and buy a 302. I have (3) 102's so don't cry to me about the economic impact.

How in the heck are you affording 30+ races a season in this recession?
                Last edited by 14J; 01-27-2009, 11:06 AM.

Comment

My only point about the 102 was in reference to a statement about supporting our manufacturers.
                  John Runne
                  2-Z

Stock Outboard is all about a level playing field.

True parity is one motor per class.

It's RACING, not just another boat ride!

NOT a representative of Racing Outboards LLC.

Comment

What I got out of Daren's point is...... here in region 10 we don't really have any 25SSR's so to speak. By allowing the restricted 302, which is a current production motor, to be allowed in this class for a few years may get it up and going in our region. As it is now it may take a long time
                    Sean Byrne

Comment

Originally posted by 14J View Post
                      For the record I'm not hell bent on anything. I'm simply stating that "IF" the objective is to eliminate obsolete motors we should start with the oldest. I actually disagree with John regarding the 102 in the C class.

..........and guess what, if the 102 went away tomorrow I'd go out and buy a 302. I have (3) 102's so don't cry to me about the economic impact.
                      If the 102 went away tomorrow I wouldn't be racing for a few years... I got my 102 race ready W/ prop (your prop) for $800... thats the only reason I am racing right now. I'll make it to 4-5 races this season, just like last.

(Troy, thanks for the prop, running really well! I was even able to admire it glean in the sun from the tow boat, as my boat was towed back in . But seriously, it is.)
                      Last edited by Silas_53A; 01-27-2009, 01:37 PM.
                      Silas Jordan
                      Windham, Maine
                      CSR 53A (2B till the boat gets redone)
                      Sigma Nu, IN-549

Comment

Originally posted by DSR_Runabout View Post
                        If the 102 went away tomorrow I wouldn't be racing for a few years... I got my 102 race ready W/ prop (your prop) for $800... thats the only reason I am racing right now. I'll make it to 4-5 races this season, just like last.

(Troy, thanks for the prop, running really well! I was even able to admire it glean in the sun from the tow boat, as my boat was towed back in . But seriously, it is.)
                        Glad the prop's working. Save your beans I may have a few more coming this spring.

Comment

to all:
                          I read a lot of forums and posts, etc. and I can see this thread going the same direction that the last one of the same subject matter did. Which, by the way, was a bunch of pointless arguing, finger pointing, etc, I don't believe it necessary to cite the examples, but come on man, gets get on wit it and have some f-ing fun. The way I see it, nothing is really gonna change, it is what it is, CSH, CSR, 25ssR (and others...) will take the course they are destend to take.

Meanwhile, I'm chillin in the cold Seattle weather working my a** off waiting for racing to start. I love reading about the positives, like Dr. Byrne's selfless investment in the development of the REVOLUTION kneel-down program and this makes me super excited for next season and seeing how much farther we can push our equipment. Enough of my anecdote, but hey y'all, lets not worry about the "S*it happens" and uncontrollables. instead, lets focus on what we have and what we can improve.

And for the life of racing, I hope the Nationals dates have been changed.

Peace and Love my fellow knee-jockeys
                          I love boat racing. And all its people.
                          28-R

Comment

Things that make you say "Hmmm"

How about "reverse provisional" status for the old motors in the classes they don't really belong in to help establish the classes for the new motors?

No points, not allowed at the Nationals and not allowed if more than 12 new motors show up?

It would make it clear that the new motors are preferred, but the old motors could continue to run as club racers.

Comment

Good thinkin Sam, I like it

BW
                              302SSH.....Putting the Stock back in Stock Outboard

Comment

Working...
                              X