No announcement yet.

Racing in Texas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am still in North Carolina and will not be heading to Dallas after all, you can take me and the kids off the list.

Kristi Z-22

PRO Commissioner

APBA BOD

"Ask not what your racing organization can do for you...Ask what you can do for your racing organization"
    Tomtall 06

Comment

Dave Nichols ( NBRA ) lives near Sanger Tx which is right on interstate 35 about 30 minutes south of the Tx/Ok border and about one hour north of the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. Lake Ray Roberts is right there as well. The lake is literally 5 minutes off of the intersate so it would be easily accessible from anywhere in Tx or Ok. I attempted to contact Dave about a month ago but was unsuccessful. I don't know if has any contacts that would be usefel to get this done but it could be a starting point. I am not a racer (as I mentioned in a previoues post on this thread) so I am not familiar with the logistics of securing a race site but if I can help out just let me know. I would love to be a part of getting this done.
      "In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress". -- John Adams

Comment

It is in your "genes"

Dennis:

You may not be racing now, but it is certainly in your "genes" and I'm not talking about the kind you wear either. Tell your Dad and Uncle's I said "Hello,"
        and I am sorry I was not able to get down to visit Bob when he made the trip up to Stan Leavendusky's last summer. I would have loved to have seen him, and your Dad also, although I understand he did not make the trip.

As far as promoting boat racing, it seem's to me you have an abundance of what it takes right now, and that is enthusiam for the sport. As far as the "details of what it takes" you find the water and someone who want to finance the event ( I always found the Jacee's Organizations to be very enthused about these type projects, their members are young and enthusiastic about motor sports), and I don't think you would have any problem finding someone with AOF, NBRA, APBA, or any other sanctioning group that could guarantee a good boat count (VERY IMPORTANT FIRST YEAR) even if you have to make some compromises in other places IMHO, the first year of the event, that would not jump at the chance to help explain the finer details of the program to a sponsor, especially with you bringing the "water to the table" so to speak. Your Uncle Bob was heavily involved in his days in St. Louis with ODA in setting up races, as was your Dad I seem to remember, and what worked then will work now. His advice should be very helpful. You might have to adapt a little to current times, but the basics are still enthusiam, hard work, a sponsor, and the water to run on.

Good Luck.
        Bill Van
        Last edited by bill van steenwyk; 12-18-2008, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Dennis,

Give me a call. I put on the Ponca City race this year, last and in 2004, and have handled the Stillwater, Okla. race the past two years and am working on it again this year...a big deal with lots of other activities including some PWC racing. I'd love to talk with you about how to do the race and what you'd have to go through to make everything work.

In fact, there are some NBRA racers in the area that could help if we get something going. I don't want to speak for the Oklahoma Boat Racing Association, but if we could get a date that wasn't conflicting with other OBRA races, we might be able to work out making things happen.

you and I need to talk about finding a sponsor and getting access to the lake under terms that would work for a bunch of boat racers.

Dan Crummett
          (405) 742-4138

Comment

Gaining steam !!

For those of you monitoring this thread, I have spoken to both Mdaspit and Dan Crunmet. We are looking at a date after Christmans to meet face to face to begin ironing out some details on this. Phone calls are being made to get NBRA officials involved as well. So far , it appears that the DFW area seems to be a centralized location for all the interest parties. We may target Marine Creek lake here in Ft.Woth since it already hosts the Drag-Boat guys every year. If any of you know who owns that lake or what drag-boat organization puts on that race please let us know. If we can get the lake I really believe this will happen!!
            "In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress". -- John Adams

Comment

ahhh the power of google LOL
              southern drag boat association
              Phone: 512-990-1132
              E-Mail: SDBAPres@sdbaracing.com

"The Coffee Guy"
              TEAM CAFFEINE
              Cranked up and ready to Roll

Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its troubles. It empties today of its strengths (Corrie ten Boom)

"Cup of Joe? Not no mo! Kevs Coffee is the only way to go!" (John Runne 09)
              " IF you can find a better cup of coffee... Kev will drink it!" (Michael Mackey 08)

Comment

Merry Christmas !!!!! to all you guys --- Looking forward to new friendships and some hot laps on the course - May you have a merry Christmas and may 2009 be a great year in the growth of this great sport.

Andy 0-33

Comment

Race in Austin?

Only 18 hours from here. Where can we sign up? Austin has this incredible steak house where if you eat the 1st 72 ounce steak, you get the second one free.
                  Bill Schwab
                  Miss KTDoodle #62C
                  -Naturescape encinitas landscape company

Comment

Skoontz, look forward to racing with you... 18 hours or not...

Dan
                    O-49

Comment

TX Races

Hi Bill- how would your daughter like the ride for a few minutes on the water?
                      Make sure she doesn't take part partaking in the steak. Sure would play hell when it is brats time. If you go that way and you head thru Phoenix let me know and we could meet up.

Comment

AL:

We will make sure to connect with you! We also hope Wayne Baldwin is somewhere close by, Corpus Christie is a ways away. Now, as in tomorrow, i gotta get out there and sell my soul to pay for the 2009 season!
                        Bill Schwab
                        Miss KTDoodle #62C
                        -Naturescape encinitas landscape company

Comment

Only 18 Hours ?

Chit, I have driven further than that to attend an NBRA event. I have that much fun at them. Short program, lots of testing, and not to much politics getting in the way of good racing. I actually passed on a closer APBA event for a combined Mod/Stock event last year that was within 1.5 hours of me and traveled 5 hours to an NBRA event. Got paid to come to it and ended up spending less traveling the distance than if I had went to the closer event. It just makes sense.

Anyways, I hope the racing TX gets going again, there are racers there, you just need to drag them out of the woodwork and race again. With gas prices being so low it is doable.
                          Dave Mason
                          Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Texas racers in the woodwork

Anyways, I hope the racing TX gets going again, there are racers there, you just need to drag them out of the woodwork and race again. With gas prices being so low it is doable.[/QUOTE]

Well if you know of some, (racers in the woodwork) please let me know.
                            They may not be on this forum. I will try to reach them.

Comment

Working...
                            X