No announcement yet.

New Boats For 2009 ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just finished the bottom and should flip it over tomorrow to finish the top. We are really pushing the envelope to finish in time for April 4th and 5th. The hardest part is keeping the shop warm enough for the paint. Temps here at night have been in the teens and more snow each day. You folks in the east will get it next, again.
    Attached Files
    Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

• Originally posted by blueskyracer View Post
      Just finished the bottom and should flip it over tomorrow to finish the top. We are really pushing the envelope to finish in time for April 4th and 5th. The hardest part is keeping the shop warm enough for the paint. Temps here at night have been in the teens and more snow each day. You folks in the east will get it next, again.
      Nice work Mike ....

We'll see you at Lawrence on the 4,5th.
      Last edited by drbyrne55; 03-09-2009, 02:35 PM.
      BOPP

Comment

• Not a race boat . . .

A cedar strip dinghy. 124 strips, and I clamped them one ata time rather than staple (ugly holes) in place. West resin with 207 hardener and 6 oz fiberglass cloth. And there's more fun ahead! Now I have to roll the boat, scrape and sand the inside and fiberglass that as well. Result: cedar cored composite structure. Frames = gunwales etc - will be white ash, and I'll make a pair of oars with white ash. 9' long, 4' beam. She's a chubby dinghy.
        Attached Files
        carpetbagger

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill Huson View Post
          A cedar strip dinghy. 124 strips, and I clamped them one ata time rather than staple (ugly holes) in place. West resin with 207 hardener and 6 oz fiberglass cloth. And there's more fun ahead! Now I have to roll the boat, scrape and sand the inside and fiberglass that as well. Result: cedar cored composite structure. Frames = gunwales etc - will be white ash, and I'll make a pair of oars with white ash. 9' long, 4' beam. She's a chubby dinghy.
          That's art work !

My son would love that down on the beach.
          BOPP

Comment

• Bill, I bet you don't ever pull that puppy up on the rocks or a gravel beach

Comment

Just finished the bottom and should flip it over tomorrow to finish the top. We are really pushing the envelope to finish in time for April 4th and 5th. The hardest part is keeping the shop warm enough for the paint. Temps here at night have been in the teens and more snow each day. You folks in the east will get it next, again.

Lookin good Mike! What paint did you use? How many coats did it take? Did you apply with a brush?
              Sean Byrne

Comment

• The Captains Varnish was done with a foam brush. The Pettit Sunflower yellow was rolled on when possible and then smoothed with light strokes of a Purdy paint brush. The yellow is a lot brighter than it shows. If you look close you can tell it was not sprayed and I used two coats. Should have three to make it perfect but don't have time.

Comment

The Captains Varnish was done with a foam brush. The Pettit Sunflower yellow was rolled on when possible and then smoothed with light strokes of a Purdy paint brush. The yellow is a lot brighter than it shows. If you look close you can tell it was not sprayed and I used two coats. Should have three to make it perfect but don't have time.
                  Well, if you play your cards right this year you should have many trying to inspect your bottom. Just keep it right side up!!
                  Sean Byrne

Comment

• Originally posted by seanp3 View Post
                    Well, if you play your cards right this year you should have many trying to inspect your bottom. Just keep it right side up!!

Sean, are you trying to say you want to inspect Mike's bottom??????

what would your wife say about that???
                    Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

• [QUOTE=mercguy;126613]Sean, are you trying to say you

Daren, I hear there is some CSH vs CMOD racing this coming weekend
                      BOPP

Comment

• better yet for the beach . . .

Originally posted by drbyrne55 View Post
                        That's art work !

My son would love that down on the beach.
                        Note the marine ply in the background of the dinghy side view. 6 sheets of 4mm okume. They will soon become a 14' Beach Cat, as in catamaran sailboat designed to run shallow - no dagger board or centerboard. Knocks down in 15 minutes and can be easily cartopped. 40 lb hulls, about 150 lb fully rigged. Perfect for young `uns. Fast and they will get wet. This one will be my Darling Daughter's boat. Probably have to stitch together another one for the grandkids.
                        carpetbagger

Comment

• rocks? gravel beach?

Originally posted by blueskyracer View Post
                          Bill, I bet you don't ever pull that puppy up on the rocks or a gravel beach
                          Not much of that on the Carolina coast. But you are right. Minute I start to drag I'd hear a shriek. I may be the boat pilot, but the She-Captain rules
                          carpetbagger

Comment

• Kamikaze CSH
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by drbyrne55; 03-09-2009, 07:57 PM.
                            BOPP

Comment

• Dan, when does the new boat see water? Of coarse in Seattle I guess that is every day!

Comment

Dan, when does the new boat see water? Of coarse in Seattle I guess that is every day!

If they make it back to Dan's by this weekend they are going in the water for some testing.
                                Sean Byrne

Comment

Working...
                                X