New boat purchased hoping someone knows what class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New boat purchased hoping someone knows what class

Hello fellow boaters! I am brand new to this board and look forward to jumping right in. I stumbled upon a boat I coudn't pass up. After growing up with a 9 foot wooden hydroplane ( 15 hp yamaha it ran about 35 mph) I had always dreamed of racing one. I found a 14 foot wooden hydroplane with a approximate 35-40 inch tunnel. Myself and one other easily picked this boat and moved it, I would say it weighs appoximately 250lbs. I would like to know if anyone knew who the manufacturer is, what class it would be, what top end could be depending on power. Also, is there any racing in Georgia? Thanks very much, attached is a picture, I will post more as the minor restoration is completed.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Donziboats; 04-15-2008, 06:18 AM.

TBM Racing

That is probably an old Gouldstone owned hydroplane that probably was used for 500, 700 and/or 1100cc hydroplane classes. I would guess or hope the boat weighs less than 250 pounds, but who knows how it has been stored. The boat would have used Yamato and/or Konig outboard racing engines in the late 1980's and early 1990's. Competitive speeds would have exceeded 100mph. I saw an inventory of TBM equipment located in Cartersville, GA many years ago that included a bunch of engines, several boats and misc. equipment. There seemed to be a story surrounding the equipment that I do not recall.
    David Weaver

Comment

Thank you

David,
      thanks for the insight. I live in Canton, and bought this for $150 bucks in Woodstock. There doesn't seem to be any rot and only a few of the wooden planks need to be replaced, the bottom is in great shape. In talking with my brother in law he thought I was off on the weight due to it being somewhat awkard to carry. He was guessing 150lbs at most. Is TMP still racing, or do you have any contacts in Cartersville?

Comment

Thank you

David,
        thanks for the insight. I live in Canton, and bought this for $150 bucks in Woodstock. There doesn't seem to be any rot and only a few of the wooden planks need to be replaced, the bottom is in great shape. In talking with my brother in law he thought I was off on the weight due to it being somewhat awkard to carry. He was guessing 150lbs at most. Is TMP still racing, or do you have any contacts in Cartersville?

Comment

Yes, David has it correct. The boat belonged to Tom Gouldstone. Bill Rucker may have been the driver. 500h,700h and 1100h. Tom had a guy in the Denver area building boats for a time. Can not remember his name.
          bill b

Comment

TMP Racing

Originally posted by Donziboats View Post
            David,
            These guys were out of California. I believe when Tom passed away much of his equipment was acquired by a gentleman in Cartersville who sold it off rather than racing it. After seeing the stuff in Cartersville maybe 1o years ago, I largely forgot about it (since it was clear that it would not be raced).
            David Weaver

Comment

David, Bill,
              thanks again for all the information. Do you know if this is a lay down or kneel? Also, would this hull normally have a cowling in between the driver and engine?

Comment

David, Bill,
                thanks again for all the information. Do you know if this is a lay down or kneel? Also, would this hull normally have a cowling in between the driver and engine?
                It was built as a laydown, but could be be run either way. Typically, I would expect some kind of cowling.
                David Weaver

Comment

Hello fellow boaters! ... I found a 14 foot wooden hydroplane with a approximate 35-40 inch tunnel. ... I would like to know if anyone knew who the manufacturer is, what class it would be, what top end could be depending on power. Also, is there any racing in Georgia?
                  A few questions are inferred, but not explicit in your post.

Yes there is racing in Georgia. There are also races in Florida and North Carolina.

Since that boat was raced, rules have changed and it is no longer legal in its original class. Those 100 mph + classes now required a specially built enclosed cockpit. So, today you would have to race it with a smaller motor. Stepping back to the closest alky class that does not require a enclosed cockpit is 350cc. 350 usually uses boats a bit smaller and runs pretty close to 100 mph. In the Modified division, 850cc also uses boats a little smaller than 14 ft and also runs close to 100 mph, I would say those would be the 2 classes most suited to the boat at this time. It could also be a D Stock Hydro or 750cc (formerly D) Mod, but I'd say that was 3rd choice for a boat that big. D runs in the 80 to 85 mph range.

I think any of the classes would be fun, but the boat will probably not be a consistent front runner. Motors will be expensive in any of the classes. Used motors will probably run $3,000 to $10,000. New motors are available for D Stock and 350cc. If you are mechanically inclined and can do metal fabrication you can build your own 850cc or 750cc mod motor for less than $3,000.

You just missed a race at Tabor City NC. You should make an effort to go to the Wilson, NC race May 3 & 4, watch and ask questions.

Comment

just a bit of advice. when my brother and i first tried to get into racing it was nearly impossible to get what we needed to start. In fact it took us nearly 3 years. Yet had we listened to the advice we got(the same as you) just come to the races! we undoubtedly would have been racing the first year.
                    Please do not make the same mistake we made.

"The Coffee Guy"
                    TEAM CAFFEINE
                    Cranked up and ready to Roll

Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its troubles. It empties today of its strengths (Corrie ten Boom)

"Cup of Joe? Not no mo! Kevs Coffee is the only way to go!" (John Runne 09)
                    " IF you can find a better cup of coffee... Kev will drink it!" (Michael Mackey 08)

Comment

I totally agree

I totally agree. Go to a race where they have stock, mod and pro. Then see what class gets you excited and talk to that class to see what kind of money commitment and such. Then come racing! If it is PRO, come to the PRO Nationals at the end of July for the best show there is.

Good Luck
                      Bill Diamond
                      bdiamond@rrlarson.com

Comment

Hi, I have raced against this boat many years ago. TBM Racing stands for Tom, Barbara and Michelle (Goldstone) There was a fiberglass cowling on the back of it. It was a laydown hydro and was powered by a Konig Race Engine. Being the size of it I would run a 850 OMC in the modified outboard catagory. (Formula E) There are many powerheads around. the big expence is the shorter midsection and racing lower unit. Hope the helps...Bob N-96
                        Last edited by Bob Rusnak; 04-16-2008, 06:22 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by Kev43V View Post
                          just a bit of advice. when my brother and i first tried to get into racing it was nearly impossible to get what we needed to start. In fact it took us nearly 3 years. Yet had we listened to the advice we got(the same as you) just come to the races! we undoubtedly would have been racing the first year.
                          Please do not make the same mistake we made.
                          Good advice. I'd like to add - Do not buy everything you find for sale. Go to the races in your area, talk to some of the racers from your area, and decide on one or two classes and buy only equipment needed and legal for that or those classes. You don't want to end up with a bunch or stuff that isn't raced in your area or is obsolete or not legal for your chosen class(es). I bought a lot of stuff that I never used when I started racing. A lot of it wasn't even legal for the classes I was racing. I didn't even know what some of it was! (an old Konig lower unit for example) I had a bunch of old, obsolete, no longer competitive alky stuff yet I was racing mod.
                          Yeah.... they saw me coming.

OMC FE/SE powerhead parts for sale. Kurcz ported block, Mod 50 pistons and cylinder head, exhaust, etc.

Comment

Thank everyone!!!!

To all the board members that have given their time, thank you. I appreciate all the advice and look forward to attending some of these races. Bob, one quick question in regards to the hull, how did it do? I love learning the history of it!!

Jason

Comment

A Suggestion

Tom's daughter, Michelle, has recently posted on Boatracing facts.com. Perhaps, she can provide more color and photo's.
                              David Weaver

Comment

Working...
                              X