Anyone else have shoulder pain.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else have shoulder pain.

So as I age I have noticed that I am falling apart. I have had shoulder pain since a skateboarding accident back in 2007 or 08. It felt like a broke my arm in several places. Went to the ER and found I had zero broken bones but I possibly tore my rotator cuff. A few years later I managed to fall off a ladder and can you guess how I landed...? Directly onto my right shoulder. Since that time I have pretty much grinned and grimaced my way through daily tasks, cycling, splitting wood and now driving my little hydro. Things are getting serious now and the pain is increasing so I am going to get a real diagnosis on what is causing the pain. I have very little strength in my right arm. I tested the hydro in Sept. and while driving felt fine but the day after was pain city. Is anyone else suffering from impaired shoulder use due to some type of injury or pain? If so what do you do to overcome it so you can race?

Correct, as we age life becomes a patch job. As we age the brain thinks OK and the body feels not OK. Stop skate boarding and falling off ladders, ;-) What do do is 1) bear the pain and it will get worse, 2) have it fixed and take it easy with the shoulder.

My case:
    I have had 2 right arm shoulder rotator cuff issues one back in the 80's about 48 years young using a wood plane in a non conventional way as a draw plane, next day had a locked right rotator. Then in 2010 at 68 years old had a boat accident in my hydro that resulted in a complete break of the right humerus and fractured hip. Had to sling the arm for a number of months. The healed bone left me with a mostly locked right rotator. Back to normal then took 5 months with serious therapy and did not do surgery which I refused in both cases. Now at 78 just a memory and arm works very well ans still lifting the engines and running the hydros.

At 60 you need to be careful patch job is with you?
    "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
    No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

I tore a rotator cuff a number of years ago, but decided not to have surgery. I can function fairly well except for not being able to raise my right arm above my head. I can still pull start motors and have run my hydro and runabout with no real issues. Good luck with your arm. PS: the recovery from rotator cuff surgery is long which is one reason I didn't have it. Didn't want to miss boating season!

Comment

Dave,

Get a runabout and run the Indian River marathon with us. The rest of your body will be so sore, you won't even know you had a shoulder!!!

Steve

Comment

Aside from all the pain advice, I would suggest making sure your resistance on your steering is not too tight or adversely too loose. If you have direct steering, you could consider using indirect steering. Most boat racers cannot walk when they get older.

Comment

Originally posted by modracer7b View Post
            Aside from all the pain advice, I would suggest making sure your resistance on your steering is not too tight or adversely too loose. If you have direct steering, you could consider using indirect steering. Most boat racers cannot walk when they get older.
            I will second that. Other than both hips and both knee replacements....... I’ good to go. That’s why I am now an owner and not a driver.

sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

• modracer7b
              modracer7b commented
              Editing a comment
              And if they drove a 20H conversion they cannot hear.

• ZUL8TR
              ZUL8TR commented
              Editing a comment
              Yikes! that is a lot of parts replaced, walking is better that a wheel chair. Great you are good to go!

I dose myself with 400 mg of ibuprofen twice a day because of a bum left hip, but that only keeps discomfort down to a dull roar. Tylenol does not work for me.

Comment

• Dave Cofone
              Dave Cofone commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm going to try that. Tylenol doesn't do squat for me either.

no shoulder pain but i have noticed mark 30h engines weigh more now than they did 40 years ago.an hour before a race i usually take 800 mg of ibuprofen, that seems to work for the bumps i take in a race. did that before reffing a college football game too. better living thru chemistry.

frank novotny

52-E

Comment

• dwhitford
              dwhitford commented
              Editing a comment
              Trouble is how tough ibuprofen is on the liver, Frank. I hope you don't also drink much alcohol.

I have to admit, lifting and moving my Y-80 is difficult. My right arm has very little strength because of the shoulder and I know after lifting it I am going to feel the consequences of my actions. Kind of humiliating watching 100 pound women lifting and positioning engines with ease and then going out on the water and driving circles around the competition. Maybe I should hire one as my crew chief....

Comment

Maybe he will inspire you on:

The only thing that happens if you wait, is that you get older.
              Mario Andretti

No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

I'm really encouraged that Physical Therapy is a viable option. Surgery is not on my all time hit list.

Comment

Go for the Therapy. Therapy will work but you need to be consistent. When I went thru it I was at the Therapy office 3 x a week for an hour each time and doing the arm exercises the other days of the week. They make you go thru a special set of exercises to properly work the shoulder. It took me 3 months. But to me better than surgery that has just as long a recovery and you still have to do proper exercises with the shoulder.

Comment

• dwhitford
                    dwhitford commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I agree with Pete. I needed to have rotator-cuff surgery a year ago last summer, followed by a summer's worth of physical therapy to get full mobility of my right arm back. The PT really works, whether b4 or after surgery.
                Working...
                X