APBA BOD proposal to gut members' rights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dave M View Post
    Has that ever happened in the past ? Hmmmmmm. Not being an ass here, but when I was involved in APBA politics, I used to get a letter EVERY year asking for my proxy, from a certain person. I NEVER gave it. That always pissed me off, becasue a majority would usually send their proxy in. In the NBRA one of the rules is NO PROXIES, period.
    After reviewing the NBRA by-laws I noticed that Proxies not being allowed only refers to the racing commission. This same practice happens in APBA.

As to national elections the secretary and only the secretary receives votes. So it's essentially a PROXIE.

AA

Comment

Originally posted by kampenracing View Post
      Proxy votes were one of the main reasons NBRA was even formed!!!!!
      This makes no sense! Proxies are primarily used for voting of officers, BOD. It's essentially affirming the ballots made by the membership that were submitted to APBA's accounting service.

1) Every member entitled to vote at a meeting of members or to express consent or dissent without a meeting may authorize another person or persons to act for him by proxy;

2) No proxy shall be valid after the expiration of eleven months from the date thereof unless otherwise provided in the proxy. Every proxy shall be revocable at the pleasure of the member executing it;

3) The authority of the holder of a proxy to act shall not be revoked by the incompetence or death of the member who executed the proxy unless, before the authority is exercised, written notice of an adjudication of such incompetence or of such death is received by the Secretary of the Association;

4) A member shall not sell his vote or issue a proxy to vote to any person for any sum of money or anything of value. No Licensee Member of the Association may receive or vote proxies.

5) Without limiting the manner in which a member may authorize another person or persons to act for him as proxy pursuant to paragraph (1) of this section, a member may execute a writing authorizing another person or persons to act for him as proxy. Execution may be accomplished by the member or the member's authorized officer, director, employee or agent signing such writing or causing his or her signature to be affixed to such writing by any reasonable means including, but not limited to, by facsimile signature. However, no Licensee Member may be authorized in any manner to execute a proxy for a member.

6.6.2. Form of Proxies. Except as provided in section 6.6.3, any copy, facsimile telecommunication or other reliable reproduction of the writing or transmission created pursuant to paragraph 6.6.1 of this section may be substituted or used in lieu of the original writing or transmission for any and all purposes for which the original writing or transmission could be used, provided that such copy, facsimile telecommunication or other reproduction shall be a complete reproduction of the entire original writing or transmission.

6.6.3. Proxies for Election Purposes. Each year, as provided by these Bylaws, the APBA National Headquarters shall mail to each voting member, a form of ballot/proxy authorizing the President of the Association or his designee to vote in the members' stead for each candidate for director of the Association at the Meeting of the Association held for election purposes. At such meeting, the President shall vote such proxies in accordance with the direction given by the member granting such proxy. No proxy form other than the official ballot/proxy shall be valid for any election of directors

Comment

As someone who has watched (and participated).....

in the discussions on HR over the last 6-7 years about the benefits and lack of same, rule making with no vote of the membership, etc., that are offered (or not) by APBA to its membership, and also having seen the posts bemoaning the benefits of NBRA Membership (0, NADDA, NONE) perhaps if Mr. Allen who fathered the previous post regards the benefit of proxy's would spend as much time on the problems facing his organization, APBA might be better governed and have more happy members not so upset about the way things are done at present.

Based on the time elapsed since the APBA Stock Nationals, and happenings there, it seems there is much to do regards membership satisfaction other than worry about other organizations use or none use of the proxy method of casting votes. Maybe start with increasing membership voting from the small percentage that now exercise the privilege with APBA??

Comment

Pride

If everyone in the APBA was to take the time to read DAVERACERDSH post, and do as he has so wisely posted. Just maybe we will still be able to continue racing and have pride in the APBA next year and beyond.

Comment

Proxy votes

All I was trying to say was one of the main reasons NBRA was formed was that at our former sanctioning body's national meeting there were a few people that had many proxy votes given to them so they could pass any agenda that they wanted. A lot members were unhappy about that so they formed a different organization. This has nothing to do with APBA. I wish APBA the best and hope everything works out. I think we need both organizations for our type of racing to survive. Also the formation of NBRA had nothing to do with APBA.
            Last edited by kampenracing; 04-24-2013, 09:07 PM.
            Keith Kampen

Comment

You're reading way to much into this Mr. v. I'm trying to figure out how Proxy votes created NBRA. I wish NBRA the best too.

But to answer your question or statement, I can't tell. What I'm upset about is that 90% of the work of this organization is done by 10% of the membership. Mostly because its easier to throw stones than actually participate. So I choose to be a part of the 10%!!

What I really want to know is how you would increase APBAs voting from a small percentage you claim? Last I checked all votes less safety are voted by members.

AA

Comment

Mr a.

I am not reading anything into your post other than what was asked and pointed out.

Perhaps the answers you are looking for regards membership percentage of votes have to do with the unresponsiveness of APBA to things that membership has been concerned about in the past, and a small minority using the rules, bylaws, rules of order, and other legal and non-legal maneuvering to work their will on the membership at large, with little input and no votes on matters of importance to them.

This has been going on for the length of time I have been associated with and observing APBA since 1968. Add to that the rules making process with different categories where the factories had an ax to grind, trophies to win without competing against other competition than themselves, and other shenanigans of similar nature, rule making for the benefit of a few, and no wonder 75-80% have just given up.

Add to that the privileged few who have the time, money, and need for ego stroking so as to attend the annual meeting where very little in the way of agendas are published at all beforehand so memberships input is taken into consideration adding to the average members alienation from the organization, and no wonder you have the general disaffection that exists nowadays.

As far as a solution, it will never happen with the way APBA is run now. Chairman Eddie likes to say the APBA is a democratic organization. Nothing could be further from the truth. It may be for those few that understand what rule book manipulation is all about. That is why you have the problems you do now. Out of touch, spending hundreds of thousands of dollars with seemingly no accountability and no information to the folks to who you owe your very existence and the visible part looks like a 5th grader designed it.

Long story short the organization should exist for the benefit of those who pay their dues and support it. A lot of the 75-80% that do not vote and participate think they are forgotten and the only thing leadership looks to them for is a dues increase for dubious programs. In addition, it is looked on as an exclusive country club for a select few with few benefits for them except for costly insurance which is necessary to race and gets more expensive every year for them and their club, so why bother. That is why other organizations will continue to pick off your membership and categories.

That should be enough to start with and keep you busy for awhile Mr. a.

As far as 10% doing the work for the benefit of the other 90%, it has always been that way in membership organizations of any interest. Get used to it or get away from it. It will only burn you out if you do not understand what is basic human nature.

Good Luck, you will need it, but I would not bet on your or anyones elses success.
                Last edited by bill van steenwyk; 04-24-2013, 10:36 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=bill van steenwyk;221392]

Add to that the privileged few who have the time, money, and need for ego stroking so as to attend the annual meeting where very little in the way of agendas are published at all beforehand so memberships input is taken into consideration adding to the average members alienation from the organization, and no wonder you have the general disaffection that exists nowadays.

[QUOTE]

Man, I knew I goto the nat meetings for a reason. Must be the ego stroking....

I know as a commissioner all of my region members know what is on the agenda before I leave from Seattle. If people were interested in agendas before hand and you havn't heard a thing, contact your commissioner. I have a phone, email, facebook, etc.
                  Kyle Bahl
                  20-R

"He didn't bump you, he didn't nudge you, he rubbed you, and rubbin' son is racin'!"

Comment

Two things in regards to proxies.
                    They don't count towards a quorum, nor would they count towards separating one issue from the rest.
                    John Runne
                    2-Z

Stock Outboard is all about a level playing field.

True parity is one motor per class.

It's RACING, not just another boat ride!

NOT a representative of Racing Outboards LLC.

Comment

Not Responding

Originally posted by adamallen View Post
                      After reviewing the NBRA by-laws I noticed that Proxies not being allowed only refers to the racing commission. This same practice happens in APBA.

As to national elections the secretary and only the secretary receives votes. So it's essentially a PROXIE.

AA
                      AA,

I am not responding to your post. I simply made a point, it was validated, and the only reason I brought it up is because many expressed displeasure to the proxies within APBA. I simply made the point that no proxies work well.

Stick to the 10% over there, please. Someone has to do it.
                      Dave Mason
                      Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Mr. Van Steenwick,
                        Going to the APBA National meeting costs less than going to two weekend races for most of us. There are many of us that go whether serving in an official capacity or not. We also have a really good time, we aren't walking around arguing all night. I enjoy spending time with many friends during the off-season. Boat racing is an important part of our lives. We all have our priorities and make our own choices.
                        I'd like to meet you some time just to talk boat racing, howabout Reno next January?
                        John Runne
                        2-Z

Stock Outboard is all about a level playing field.

True parity is one motor per class.

It's RACING, not just another boat ride!

NOT a representative of Racing Outboards LLC.

Comment

Originally posted by csh2z View Post
                          Mr. Van Steenwick,
                          Going to the APBA National meeting costs less than going to two weekend races for most of us. There are many of us that go whether serving in an official capacity or not. We also have a really good time, we aren't walking around arguing all night. I enjoy spending time with many friends during the off-season. Boat racing is an important part of our lives. We all have our priorities and make our own choices.
                          I'd like to meet you some time just to talk boat racing, howabout Reno next January?

John:

I am knowledgeable about the cost of attending the National Meeting. I attended probably 25+ from the very early 1970's when I was a member of the PRO Commission, so am fairly up to date on how the meetings work and what is involved in the rule making process. As an example of this, (rule making process) I was the Chairman of the committee that wrote the rules for the Formula 350 class when the Yamato 80 was introduced into the US. I was on the Commission for several years while both Mel Kirts and Ralph Donald headed it. I have also acted as a "mentor" for several young drivers, owning equipment that was driven by them, so I think I have given back to the sport at least as much as I have taken.

I am also familiar with how some folks are treated at the National Meeting when they make the trip in no "official capacity", which I did in the late 90's while just an ordinary member. There was business before the Commission which I was interested in and wanted to present a viewpoint regards it. Since I had no plans to attend ANY OTHER FUNCTION at the meeting including hospitality rooms, etc., I did not register. At the time I tried to enter the meeting room, I was stopped by a security person and told I was not welcome as I did not have a badge. I indicated to the person I was a member of the PRO Category and wished to attend my category meeting and did not think it necessary to register for that purpose. Long story short, I was thrown up against the wall and manhandled. This was done while the members of the PRO Commission looked on and no one intervened. Finally cooler heads prevailed as Edgar Rose was called and got me a badge so I could attend my category meeting.

I also had an interesting experience with the National Office during the same time frame. I had quit driving and was just planning on keeping an "associate" membership or whatever it was called at the time. As I was wanting to continue to support APBA financially (even after the fiasco at the National Meeting described above) I sent my check for a FULL RACING membership into the office. It arrived a couple of days late (less than a week) and I was informed by return mail that it would not be accepted unless I paid the penalty charged for late membership arrival.

I called the office and talked to the person on the phone whose name was on the letter and explained that even though the check was for a RACING MEMBERSHIP at that cost, I had quit active racing and just wanted to support APBA in this way. I was told in no uncertain terms that I would pay the penalty or the membership would be denied. I asked for the return of the check and that is the last check I have ever sent APBA. This and other type management practices that could be very easily construed as "cutting off your nose to spite your face", in my opinion anyway, is just one of the reasons the organizations is losing members, both racing and associate.

I have also had a very good time during my racing career (as you pointed out you had in yours) which includes being fortunate enough to accomplish two National Championship wins, holding most all the competition records for the class I was involved in, and a HOC induction in the 80's. I guess that I still have some friends, but you would have to check regards that, as what I see as important these days is pointing out things that need to be improved in the way APBA is run, and those that disagree with me seem to have their own agenda that does not fit my idea of the way to promote the sport to which I have devoted almost 50 years.

We all certainly do have our own priorities and make our own choices, and I have mine and have made them with a great deal of thought.

I would enjoy meeting you also, and my wife and I will be present as several USTS races this summer including the DePue Nationals. Hope to see you there as there is always something to be learned from an organization who puts on a fine program as they do.

Comment

but....

Originally posted by csh2z View Post
                            Two things in regards to proxies.
                            They don't count towards a quorum, nor would they count towards separating one issue from the rest.
                            but.... if you had a 100 proxies and could separate a issue in that specific meeting - you could successfully change ANYTHING in APBA.

That is a pretty big risk.

Comment

Working...
                            X