Gonyea Takes a Bath

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gonyea Takes a Bath

Please read my comments below before scrolling down to look at the photos.

I hesitated whether or not to post this series of photos for several reasons.

First, the danger of posting too many crash photos is that visitors to Hydroracer who are not racers (but perhaps potential racers) or who do not go in person to watch boat races will think that crashes happen at every boat race and injuries are to be expected at every boat race. This is not true. The best weekends of boat racing are when everyone stays dry, or at least wet but unhurt, and we have all enjoyed many weekends like that.

Second, I never want to offend a fellow boat racer by publishing unflattering photos, especially Charlie. It was Charlie who pointed out to me as I was carting my C Stock Hydro down to the water on Monday at Lock Haven that all of my drain plugs were out. Oops. We both agreed my boat would go faster if it wasn’t filled with water. Thank you Charlie.

But there’s a certain feeling I remember from long ago - perhaps a mild degree of euphoria - after being tossed out of my race boat. Feeling my body skipping along the surface of the water like a smooth stone thrown skillfully from the hand of a child, finally coming to rest, and then realizing in a few seconds that all my body parts were present and accounted for, and in normal condition, it was as if I had just stood toe-to-toe with Miss Fortune and spat in her eye. Would any other racers care to comment about what I'm trying to say?

The best crash photos are when boat and driver come out uninjured. This is the case most times in Stock/Mod/PRO racing. And this was the case with Charlie’s bath on Monday in the photos below.

Finally, I don’t want our photos to cause arguments among racers otherwise I’ll simply stop posting them. Our photos are for entertainment, not condemnation. I want our photos to promote boat racing, not help bury it. How many times in your life have you said, “Man, I wish I had a picture of that!”? Now some of you do.

Here's to spit in her eye, Charlie. Cheers!
    Last edited by Mark 72@E; 11-25-2007, 07:58 PM.
    @@@@@@@@@@@@

Mark Ritchie
    72@E
    Former Boat Racer
    21st Century: CSH, CSR, and "J Dad" x2
    20th Century: ASH, ASR, BSR, 25SSH, 25SSR

@@@@@@@@@@@@

Right Turn

At least you were in the turn, Charlie. I did that in Pineville, LA, testing in the straigtaway. Check your bottom. That was the problem with mine taking a right-hander. Ed.
    14-H

"That is NOT why people hate me." - 14-H.

Comment

OOPs

Are you ready to negotiate yet?

The repair shop is open bring the Labatt's

Comment

Great job!

Hat's off to Larry Spencer for one heck of a job of driving and missing our good friend Charlie!
        http://www.stockoutboard.com/

Comment

Mark, I understand your feelings. Pictures are worth a thousand words, but in the case of a controversial driving situation, 500 words see it one way, and 500 see it another. I don't post them, because it just gets the argument going again.

You guys got some great shots last weekend. Keep up the good work!
          Mike Johnson

World Headquarters
          sigpic
          Portland, Oregon
          Johnson Racing

Comment

Almost missed ...

Originally posted by Jeff Brewster 59s View Post
            Hat's off to Larry Spencer for one heck of a job of driving and missing our good friend Charlie!
            Jeff, I didn't miss Charlie's motor. I did what I could to slow down, But my push put Him in the creek. Sorry again Charlie! At least everyone's ok.

Larry Spencer

Comment

The best is when you go to your very first race and they give you a test lap before the day starts and everyone is on shore watching the wagners coming back from a 20 year absents of racing to see how Rick Jr. aka me hit a roller from the rescue boat and get the sponsons dancing and having the fin catch and go for a good 20 feet skip across the starting line. Since then the nerves in my stomach have been gone and everyone now calls me skippy. Thanks Brain Williams on Jon Brewster couldn't remember who started it but they keep it going.
              MJR Composites racing...cleveland division

Comment

Working...
              X