Photos from the Cambridge, MD Triple Crown Championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paraskeva Punches the Pedal to Win Pro Stock

Dave Paraskeva, PS 529, takes the championship in Pro Stock. Dave is a DOUBLE Triple Crown winner for the weekend, also taking first place honors in Jersey Speed Skiff.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Mark 72@E; 07-28-2010, 06:49 PM.
    @@@@@@@@@@@@

Mark Ritchie
    72@E
    Former Boat Racer
    21st Century: CSH, CSR, and "J Dad" x2
    20th Century: ASH, ASR, BSR, 25SSH, 25SSR

@@@@@@@@@@@@

Comment

How about the national mod results? Thanks!

Comment

One of the Most Exciting Races

One of the most exiting races of the day was in National Modified as two boats dueled side by side. (CORRECTED) The championship went to Murjr's Lauterbach Special, NM-200, driven by Chuck Miller.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Mark 72@E; 07-28-2010, 06:42 PM.
        @@@@@@@@@@@@

Mark Ritchie
        72@E
        Former Boat Racer

@@@@@@@@@@@@

Comment

One Final Photo

One final photo before I pack up to head home. Those CRAZ-E 5 Litres...
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Mark 72@E; 07-26-2010, 03:53 AM.
          @@@@@@@@@@@@

Mark Ritchie
          72@E
          Former Boat Racer

@@@@@@@@@@@@

Comment

Mark,

I love the pictures! The one of S41 is my boat, I'm wondering if and how I couple buy that photo. If you have any more of Pro-Stock PS41 or 2.5l stock S41 I would love to see them.

Scott Thompson
            Second Choice Racing
            S41/PS41

Comment

Yes, I happily sell my photos

Thanks for the compliment! Yes, I happily sell my photos. I'm just low-key (or lazy) about it. $20 for the digital file or $20 plus shipping for an 8 x 10 print. Both are with "limited rights", meaning I still own the image, but you're allowed to make all the coffee mugs, tee shirts, and duplicates for personal use that you want. Or just hang the photo on the wall with pride.

I shot over 1,200 photos per day and I think I only missed the T class Friday and Saturday so yes, I have more photos. But without looking, I can just about guarantee they don't get any better than the one of S41 earlier in this thread.

I'll send you a Private Message via Hydroracer so you know how to reach me.
              Last edited by Mark 72@E; 07-28-2010, 04:03 AM.
              @@@@@@@@@@@@

Mark Ritchie
              72@E
              Former Boat Racer

@@@@@@@@@@@@

Comment

Did you ever notice?

Did you ever notice that the lead Jersey Speed Skiff never shows its bottom as much as the skiffs running in its wake? (CORRECTED) Rolling Thunder, JS-7, may have crossed the finish line in front of the pack, but JS-62, Smoke on the Water, driven by Dave Paraskevas is the Triple Crown Champion.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Mark 72@E; 07-28-2010, 06:27 PM.
                @@@@@@@@@@@@

Mark Ritchie
                72@E
                Former Boat Racer

@@@@@@@@@@@@

Comment

JS-7 rides like that because of the setup, but it doesn't hurt to be out front. Unfortuntely JS_7 was DSQ'd and JS-62 won. Also in the National Mod final Thom Heins was DSQ'd. Great shots by the way. Do you post these anywhere else?
                  Rolling Thunder Racing
                  Hydroplane Quebec
                  Grand Prix Hydroplane

Comment

Corrections

Originally posted by pakman View Post
                    JS-7 rides like that because of the setup, but it doesn't hurt to be out front. Unfortuntely JS_7 was DSQ'd and JS-62 won. Also in the National Mod final Thom Heins was DSQ'd. Great shots by the way. Do you post these anywhere else?
                    Thanks for the corrections. I've made changes to my posts above. It's always my intent to be accurate. Results have now been posted at (scroll to the bottom):
                    http://www.cpbra.com/?q=content/race-results

And thanks for the compliment. Without trying to offend anyone, I think boat racers (past and present) take the best photos of other boat racers. Maybe it's just my imagination.

Hydroracer.net is my preferred site for posting my photos. I have a photography website where I can post as many photos as I want but lately I've only been posting photos by request. I'll do this for Scott Thompson, S-41, because I end up spending less time to make a sale than if I spent hours and hours tweaking and posting the best shots from an entire weekend of racing.

Besides, when I only post a few of my best shots here on Hydroracer.net, I trick EVERYONE into thinking ALL my photos are this good, which they're not. Wait, did I say that out loud???
                    Last edited by Mark 72@E; 07-28-2010, 07:57 PM.
                    @@@@@@@@@@@@

Mark Ritchie
                    72@E
                    Former Boat Racer

@@@@@@@@@@@@

Comment

5 Litre Triple Crown Champion

Meet Bert Henderson, CE-8, Last Minute Again
                      Attached Files
                      @@@@@@@@@@@@

Mark Ritchie
                      72@E
                      Former Boat Racer

@@@@@@@@@@@@

Comment

Mark,

How will Inboard drivers find these single shots here on HR? most if not all of them hang out on other boards and sites? I know they have a huge following at Yahoo Groups.

Just wondering that's all, there is also a Inboard Facebook Group with over a 1000 members.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Inb...2760247?ref=ts
                        HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV

Comment

The Crush, GP-77, Wins the Grand Prix

There's only one thing better than watching the boat races and that's watches the boat races "close up". For the final three heats on Sunday (E, JS, and GP) I ventured (uninvited) on a private dock that was at the apex of turn two and I got my best shots of the weekend.

The 5 Litres were exciting, the Jersey Skiffs were fun as always and then there was the expected long pause before the Grand Prix's entered the course. When the first GP boat passed, I assume the driver saw the four boys under 10 years old on the same dock and wanted to give them a thrill, since he came so close my camera couldn't focus fast enough. A blur is all I got. The four boys couldn't stop shouting about the pass to anyone who was listening.

I think what made me different than anyone else on the dock is that I knew what had happened to J.W. Meyers in Detroit just a short time previously. And that being at the apex of the turn of a Grand Prix race was not the safest place to be a spectator.

And then I had to laugh at myself when I realized it was every GP driver on the course, not me, who was taking the bigger risk. I clicked away...
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Mark 72@E; 07-31-2010, 04:59 PM.
                          @@@@@@@@@@@@

Mark Ritchie
                          72@E
                          Former Boat Racer

@@@@@@@@@@@@

Comment

Spin Out!

From Sunday’s finals at Cambridge.

This post could be subtitled, “Photography Versus Video”. Although others would argue that video is king is today’s digital world, I would argue that photography is still the champ based on one simple premise: more boat racers put more pictures of themselves on the walls of their homes and work places than any other media.

That being said, here’s an example of where photography “missed the boat”. The videographer and I were on the same dock. You can view the Jackson Steppe video of Cambridge online at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFXS1JRjfvU

Look for the spin out at :47 into the video.

The video shows how fast this spin out happened – in just a couple of seconds. My photos look like the spin out happened is slow motion and much of the boat was lost in the spray. If the editor of the video wanted, he probably could have shown what led up to the spin out, the first frame of which I missed entirely. I saw it, but my brain never told my finger to push the shutter.

The NM boat came into the turn with its port sponson extremely high. But my first shot shows the port sponson down, my second shot shows in up. Neither of my shots show what started the chine walking that eventually led to the spin out.

So what’s my point? I think the average boat racing video has a long way to go before it can fully captivate an audience the way a good photograph can grab someone’s attention. But there are times when a well-edited video nails it and makes boat racing MORE EXCITING than a static photograph, or better than a series of static photographs ever could.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Mark 72@E; 08-05-2010, 07:57 AM.
                            @@@@@@@@@@@@

Mark Ritchie
                            72@E
                            Former Boat Racer

@@@@@@@@@@@@

Comment

Good stuff, mark. Gotta love the skiffs.
                              !"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Comment

Spin Out

Mark, you must have been on this dock:

http://www.pbase.com/candsrr/image/126861869

My camera was set to 3fps and I caught an 18 frame sequence of the spin out:

http://www.pbase.com/candsrr/spinout
                                Last edited by Skip Vanderslice; 08-05-2010, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X