Happy Anniversary Beth Hearn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doubly Painful, Yet Fond Memories

It's doubly painful to read about this. First of all, do any of you (except Ed) know how painful it is to have your little sister wax you, make it to the Hall before you, and debut in Sports Illustrated? I still haven't lived it down (I think she set her first record by passing me).

Second, I've still never let go of the pain in losing to Warnock in 15H that year. My stomach still knots up reading it. All I had to do was finish... ARE YOU KIDDING?!? Dad was right, I surely learned more from losing (for those of you out there that don't think 2nd is losing, you are wrong) than from winning that year.

All that said, it's great to see Beth posted and commented on here (thanks Ed). Racing has always been a big part of our family and it is one of the few things that continues to bring us back together (Ed already owns a boat and motor for Grant who can start racing in 2 years).

Thanks for the fond memories!

Richard (4-H to some, and #12 to others).

Comment

I will always owe Joey Z. a beer for his tumble in heat #2 of the finals in ASH which caused the red flag.

The 4-H and I were in the back after the 1-2 heat #1 finish.

And on the restart...it was a wide open lane to the title.

Never did ask you Richard...when did you notice your boat damage? Did you even leave the pits for the restart?

Comment

Honeycomb Bottom

Dana - the Hobart 4-H had a honeycomb bottom. I didn't notice the issue until we came back into the pits, at which point the boat started to sink.

As I remember, restarting wasn't an option. (albeit, I must admit that this race wasn't seared as clearly into my mind as it wasn't my stupidity that caused me the race).

To this day, I still have both of those second place plaques. They are a constant reminder of how painful it is to finish 2nd...

Comment

Originally posted by don11w View Post
          Dew...think that was the same year you sat on the side of the mountian and would throw rocks at us as we went by....

Um I plead the 5th.. I would never have done anything like that...
          Youngest Member of the Flyer Raceboat Gang

Comment

Finishin Second

"If you ain't first, you're last..." -Reece Bobby.

Nice work on that Rich: You finished second... TWICE!
            14-H

"That is NOT why people hate me." - 14-H.

Comment

Wow! When most can't remember their own wedding anniversary, Ed, you remember the anniversary of my nationals wins 20 years later. What a great big bro.

I have enjoyed reading these posts and reminiscing about how terrific APBA racing truely is. It is also good to know that Richard, you have not forgotten that, not only did I set a record and beat you into the Hall, but I passed you down the backstretch doing it. That is probably the only time I have ever had the upperhand on either of you two.

Although I know I could not have accomplished all I did in 1987 without either of you, it sure has been fun "rubbing it in" for 20 years!

Thanks for the memories and I love and miss you both.

Beth

Comment

Ahh Shucks, you guys are gonna make me cry. Would be nice to see all the Hearns and all the Schaubs at a race again. After all, we grew up with you guys.

Love ya all,
                She
                Member - Team Red

Looking forward to feeling better later!

Go big or go home!

2nd Sux!

"Sorry For Partying"

Comment

Originally posted by Sheila Schaub View Post
                  Ahh Shucks, you guys are gonna make me cry. Would be nice to see all the Hearns and all the Schaubs at a race again. After all, we grew up with you guys.

Love ya all,
                  She
                  Sheila: In thirty more years we can have our own "old timer's reunion" themed after all the 80's Nationals and go back to Wakefield. Michele's already volunteered to score.
                  14-H

Comment

I figure that Norm and Beth have put in enough years on the judge's stand to cover for all of their offspring. I don't plan to take the scorer's test ANY time soon.

Comment

This was also the year my good friend Jack Corner returned to racing. Ralph DeSilva built him an ASR and he bought two Johnson A motors. Jack had to take set-up lessons from Beth, though. He forgot to tighten down the transom clamps in the elims and danm-near lost the engine in the first turn. I think Jimmy Fox knows how deep it is on that end of the lake.
                      14-H

Comment

Originally posted by Beth Chew View Post
                        Wow! When most can't remember their own wedding anniversary, Ed, you remember the anniversary of my nationals wins 20 years later. ***

Beth
                        Would you expect any less from ME? I only remember the important stuff.
                        14-H

Comment

Originally posted by dholt View Post

Never did ask you Richard...when did you notice your boat damage? Did you even leave the pits for the restart?
                          Dana: since Rich doesn't remember this one too well, I'll provide the answer: He never did notice it. We saw the bottom haning down as we lifted the boat from the water (ie: B4 carts) and on to the scale after the re-run heat was over. Rich ran in that re-run but placed far back. That's how he finished second overall. The bottom of that boat came off but the layer of wood that was the floor board stayed. Rich was dragging a shovel through the water to finish. Ed.
                          14-H

Comment

Oh Yes... we had a lot of good times at the races with the whole Hearn family.
                            Maybe we should have the reunion at Manteno and sample all the schnapps
                            flavors again.
                            They were the good times!!
                            Cheers...
                            Norm

Comment

Congratulations Beth

To Beth and The Hearns,

When I built that boat, it weighed 69 lbs. Jeff Hutchins drove it to an ASH record the first time out of the box!!!!!!!!

Best Regards,

sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Hobart Hull

That boat was really fast. Ed.
                                14-H

Comment

Working...
                                X