• Show
Clear All

You have the right to remain silent.

TTYL

XO
    Twisted Sister

Comment

Originally posted by ryan_4z View Post
      So you are going to quit CSH, which runs all over the country, all year long, with almost full fields everywhere you go. And instead run 125ccH, which you will only race 4 times, against maybe 4-5 other guys, and if your luck all of you will finish. Oh, and a 125 rig probably costs twice what a CSH rig does. That makes a whole lot of sense. If PRO is so much better than Stock, then why are their numbers so low? Why doesn't everyone run PRO?

I am not trying to knock the PRO category, just making a point. I think that the pro's are super cool, but there are reasons that I won't be driving them any time soon.

Ryan, I am told that there are elimanation heats for 125 at the USTS races. Not four or five boats. Take a look at the driver bio's on there site. Also what is cool about these motors is I can build my own motor and it will be competitive. What is also cool about 125 is it is a one lunger that will run in the 80's and I can lift it off the transom by my self.

Mark

PS I only have time in my life for 4 or 5 racing weekends a year.
      Mark
      G-11
      125H
      When the green flag drops, the bull**** stops!!!!!!!!!!!
      Keep'em Sunny Side Up Boy's!

[

Comment

Ryan, Ryan, Ryan,

So you are going to quit CSH, which runs all over the country, all year long, with almost full fields everywhere you go. And instead run 125ccH, which you will only race 4 times, against maybe 4-5 other guys, and if your luck all of you will finish. Oh, and a 125 rig probably costs twice what a CSH rig does. That makes a whole lot of sense. If PRO is so much better than Stock, then why are their numbers so low? Why doesn't everyone run PRO?

I am not trying to knock the PRO category, just making a point. I think that the pro's are super cool, but there are reasons that I won't be driving them any time soon.
        Ryan,

You are something. Never let lack of research get in the way of a good (even if misinformed opinion). USTS will have 7 races, plus host the Nationals this year. A complete 125 new will cost in the area of $5K - $6K and will be competitive immediately. So long as you jet the engine correctly, you will start and finish. We had either 12 entries or eliminations in 125 hydro at every race last year.

And you did knock the PRO category, so do not apologize for it. Back-it-up.

BTW, I still feel that CSH and OSY400 are the 2 most competitive classes in outboard racing. But other classes are gaining in terms of competitiveness.
        Last edited by David Weaver; 03-26-2007, 02:56 AM.
        David Weaver

Comment

Ryan

Please get your facts straight.....I run 125H and we had eliminations at every race last year. In fact please do not assume the USTS races ever run 4 boat heats with maybe the exception of an end of the year capsule race in Raleigh which you were witness to.

As far as OSY vs. CSH.....have at it!

Kristi

Kristi Z-22

PRO Commissioner

APBA BOD

"Ask not what your racing organization can do for you...Ask what you can do for your racing organization"
          Tomtall 06

Comment

Never let

The truth get in the way of a good story.

Comment

Just found this thread and had to post, as this is one of my favorite subjects. I have to say, Ed is 100% right here. Laurie please don't hate me for saying that, because you are also completely right. The problem with OSY-400, is that it is in no way OSY-400, other than the fact that it is a Yamato class. It is, however, very, very similar to CSH. Close enough in fact, that I am surprised APBA's BOD has allowed the class to continue as it is. We are not supposed to have duplicate classes. The fact of the matter is CSH belongs to Stock, and the existance of OSY hurts our numbers, while breathing false life into the PRO category. If OSY is going to be run, then why on earth would it not run under U.I.M. rules? The idea of OSY as it is in America is totally ludicrious. The guys in Europe probably laugh at all those silly Americans who think they run OSY. We ought to be running OSY under strict UIM rules. Think of the possibilities that would grant us. We could have a World Championship in the USA. It would acctually give us some legitimacy worldwide. APBA doen't really do a lot on the world stage, OSY could be our opportunity to change that. To tell you the truth, I really can't figure out why the entire PRO category doesn't run under UIM rules.
              Ryan,

Think of the stability that racing USTS series events give a driver.

#1 There schedule is fixed and pretty much set in stone early in the year which allows a driver with a family and full time job to plan ahead. You mention that CSH has races all over the country every weekend of the year. That’s all well and good but how many CSH drivers can afford to travel back and forth across the country every weekend or even race every weekend in there own back yard. The number of races per year does not constitute a success in any given class. In my opinion it is the quality and organization of the event which will make it successful. I personally feel the USTS excels in the area.

#2 the summer nationals are held in the very same spot every year in a central US location.

#3 The USTS programs are run quickly and not drawn out this is also very appealing to many drivers that are not interested in spending 12 hours or more a day over the weekend waiting for their respective class to run or not.

#4 As Mark stated in his reply post he only has time in his life for five or six races per season and what better way to spend them. I applaud his decision to give USTS a try and wish him well. I think he has made a very wise move and will not regret it.

I could go on and on but I think you get my point
              HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV

Comment

So the only PRO races that matter are USTS races? Yeah, I might have been wrong about that, but look at all the other PRO races. The 125's couldn't even get off of the beach in Ocoee, runabout or hydro, because there weren't enought of them. They had to send out an ASR, just to make 4 boats for 250ccR.

As far as the cost goes:

new 125 engine-$4000
                new 125 boat-$3400?(maybe)
                new 125 prop-$500?

Total $7900

new CSH motor-$2200
                new CSH boat-$3200
                new CSH prop-$350

Total $5750

So we both exagerated a little bit, but you are talking about a difference still of over $2000, that ain't pocket change.

Dan,

You make good points about the stability. I personally love the idea of haveing the nationals in one central location every year. I have been thinking about trying to make that happen in stock actually for the last couple of years. That would be a big task though. I do have to argue with your claim about a fast program though. They may not run a lot of classes per day, which reduces overall time, but every USTS race I have been to(it's only been a few, but this was my impression) has been a slow to progress show. They seem to run 2-3 heats per hour as opposed to the 5 heats per hour that we average. Yes, they shorten the overall time, but it is not by running more heats per hour. Pro is obviously the right decision for some, just not for me.

I want to use this opportunity to make a point to all of the "combine the categories" people. This is why it is a bad idea, the racers in different categories have different ideas of how they want to race. We are different, we should celebrate those differences, not try to eliminate them.
                Ryan Runne
                9-H
                Wacusee Speedboats
                ryan.runne.4@gmail.com

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"--Albert Einstein

These days, I find it easier to look up to my youngers than my elders.

Comment

Rebuttal Time

OK Ryan,

Aw, what's the use. Nevermind, I am sure you are right.

Lights, we look forward to your trying races with the USTS. We are not close to perfect, but we do get somethings right. Actually, we look forward to all the new racers that have indicated that they will join our races this year. I count over 6 at this point and another former racer contacted me today that he has bought a 125 hydro rig (even though the class has almost disappeared).

Lights, looks to me that your area could soon have enough PRO boats in certain classes to join the local races, if they had room for you on the schedule. That would be awesome.

Well, back to work. Looks like I need to save more for a $500 prop for my boat. Inflation is high this year. The same prop was only $300 last year.
                  David Weaver

Comment

[QUOTE=ryan_4z;76563]

So we both exagerated a little bit, but you are talking about a difference still of over $2000, that ain't pocket change.

Well, once you are gainfully employed, it might be.
                    David Weaver

Comment

Originally posted by David Weaver View Post
                      OK Ryan,

Aw, what's the use. Nevermind, I am sure you are right.
                      I new you would come to realize that someday David. It's not all about being right though, it's more about telling you when your wrong. That is just a joke for all of you who really think I'm a complete a-hole.
                      Ryan Runne
                      9-H
                      Wacusee Speedboats
                      ryan.runne.4@gmail.com

Comment

[QUOTE=David Weaver;76567]

Well, once you are gainfully employed, it might be.
                        ...Touche`
                        Ryan Runne
                        9-H
                        Wacusee Speedboats
                        ryan.runne.4@gmail.com

Comment

Uh-oh

[QUOTE=ryan_4z;76569]
                          Originally posted by David Weaver View Post

...Touche`
                          Keep it up Ryan, and you may have to change your sig to "Striving For Humility."

...Or maybe not......

R-19
                          www.gleasonracing.com

"No, THAT is why people hate him."

Comment

Ryan
                            When you get some pocket change invest in a watch.....2 heats per hour??

Kristi

Kristi Z-22

PRO Commissioner

APBA BOD

"Ask not what your racing organization can do for you...Ask what you can do for your racing organization"
                            Tomtall 06

Comment

Originally posted by Kristi Ellison View Post
                              Ryan
                              When you get some pocket change invest in a watch.....2 heats per hour??

Kristi
                              Sorry Kristi, but that's how I remember Depue this summer. Granted I was only there for one day. I'll admit to maybe passing judgement a little to soon, but nothing more.
                              Ryan Runne
                              9-H
                              Wacusee Speedboats
                              ryan.runne.4@gmail.com

Comment

As far as the cost goes:

new 125 engine-$4000
                                new 125 boat-$3400?(maybe)
                                new 125 prop-$500?

Total $7900

new CSH motor-$2200
                                new CSH boat-$3200
                                new CSH prop-$350

Total $5750
                                Speed costs money. How slow are you willing to go?

Comment

Working...
                                X