New J Engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FOLDing steering bar?

Gettin a little fancy aren't we? Looks like that folding steering bar ought to save a whopping 4 inches in the trailer.

Thanks for the pics.

Comment

data to Briggs

Last week I sent the last of our test data and class designs for Region 5 AOF to Briggs. They have been kept up to speed with the progress and have apparently viewed this thread as well. We hope to have their involvement in our program and also discussed the test run for APBA.

They continue to follow the progress and we will post more info as soon as it comes in.

RussW

sigpic
      SIBLING RIVALRY RACING TEAM

Comment

Go to Briggs and Stratton's web site and right in the center of the home page is this:
        Motorsports
        We make more racing engines than any other company in the world. Racing engines, how to start racing, motorsports centers
        Go to BriggsRacing.com

So it seems to me that if Briggs and Stratton is interested in boat racing, we as boat racers should do whatever it takes to work with them. Who knows maybe they will develop a low cost racing engine just for boat racing.

I like the price, availability, and factory interest of Briggs and Stratton. However, I have a grandson that has reached racing age and I would never put him in a Minimost. It will be either a real racing boat or nothing.

I have built about 40 racing boats in my career and I wonder what other racing boat designers/builders think about the Minimost vs. a spec hydro (or runabout) for this motor?

Comment

Originally posted by T Chance View Post
          Go to Briggs and Stratton's web site and right in the center of the home page is this:
          Motorsports
          We make more racing engines than any other company in the world. Racing engines, how to start racing, motorsports centers
          Go to BriggsRacing.com

So it seems to me that if Briggs and Stratton is interested in boat racing, we as boat racers should do whatever it takes to work with them. Who knows maybe they will develop a low cost racing engine just for boat racing.

I like the price, availability, and factory interest of Briggs and Stratton. However, I have a grandson that has reached racing age and I would never put him in a Minimost. It will be either a real racing boat or nothing.

I have built about 40 racing boats in my career and I wonder what other racing boat designers/builders think about the Minimost vs. a spec hydro (or runabout) for this motor?

Briggs is only interested in drag and go-kart racing, not outboard racing.
          Yet! Unless someone wants to work with them or see if they are interested.

FYI-the go-kart engines cost more than the outboard!

"Comet Kart Blueprinted WKA/IKF Legal Line Bored National Level Briggs Animal Engine $1350.00"
          For a 5hp! Similar design that the outboard uses, ohv...

A stock engine is about the same price as the outboard, but who's going to win with a stock engine in stock racing

Comment

your choice

Originally posted by T Chance View Post

What you put your family in is your choice. The reason for using the minimost in the Region 5 AOF program was once again safety and cost. The minimost with a briggs has proven stable and forgiving. On the cost end of things, we wanted an entry level class that was affordable and on an even playing field.

Would the premier boat builders want to gear up for this class, spend the money and time to design and build some of these only to have it not work out? Some would, we have some great builders who would love to help the sport, but many wouldn't. If you do the pilot program with something like a low cost minimost you aren't out that much if it doesn't work out.

What, in your mind, constitutes a "real race boat"?

I am not looking for arguments here, simply trying to get honest opinions and suggestions to help the program grow.

RussW

sigpic
            SIBLING RIVALRY RACING TEAM

Comment

Cheap Briggs for Sale

Here's a link to one that is a few years old. Ed

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/boa/327637303.html
              14-H

"That is NOT why people hate me." - 14-H.

Comment

Working...
              X