SO Yamato Rule Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 302 proposal .....

My understanding is that the Restricted 302 will be disallowed in 20SS in 2009 and keep the out of production Y80...

I would like to hear more on this .... it seems more prudent to also keep the current production Y302R motor in 20SSH for (maybe) the first 5 years during the phasing in the new Sidewinder 20 (once available for purchase) or longer. Just 18 months ago new racers/teams were encouraged to buy a 302 to run in 20SSH restricted .... and as driving skills advance move up to CSH w/o the restrictor.

Currently the Sidewinder20 is not available for purchase but Teams need to prepare for 2008 and 2009. I find it probably takes 12-18 months to get a boat/engine/prop built to run semi-competitively. Historically, the 302R does not have many National wins but some teams like to race the 302 restricted and don't want to switch to an out of production motor Y80 to run 20SSH when they already own a 302.

I think many new racers/Teams like to ability to use the same engine in 2 classes. I suppose if the 302 is kept out of 20, you may see those gravitate towards OSY400 for the multiple class use ... but is that a good thing?

I think the Sidewinder will have many advantages ... switchable powerheads allowing muliple class usage, no blue-printing necessary .... and such.... and be supported.

Originally posted by csh2z View Post
    Any current member can submit proposals to their commissioner to be put on the Nat'l Mtg. agenda.
    Last edited by drbyrne55; 10-09-2007, 08:14 AM.
    BOPP

Comment

• Originally posted by drbyrne55 View Post
      My understanding is that the Restricted 302 will be disallowed in 20SS in 2009 and keep the out of production Y80...

I would like to hear more on this .... it seems more prudent to also keep the current production Y302R motor in 20SSH for (maybe) the first 5 years during the phasing in the new Sidewinder 20 (once available for purchase) or longer. Just 18 months ago new racers/teams were encouraged to buy a 302 to run in 20SSH restricted .... and as driving skills advance move up to CSH w/o the restrictor.

Currently the Sidewinder20 is not available for purchase but Teams need to prepare for 2008 and 2009. I find it probably takes 12-18 months to get a boat/engine/prop built to run semi-competitively. Historically, the 302R does not have many National wins but some teams like to race the 302 restricted and don't want to switch to an out of production motor Y80 to run 20SSH when they already own a 302.

I think many new racers/Teams like to ability to use the same engine in 2 classes. I suppose if the 302 is kept out of 20, you may see those gravitate towards OSY400 for the multiple class use ... but is that a good thing?

I think the Sidewinder will have many advantages ... switchable powerheads allowing muliple class usage, no blue-printing necessary .... and such.... and be supported.
      Why not have the 20ci hot rod legal in bh or as we know 20ss ,to fill the void and let other racers compete. That will give sidewinder time to get going. The hotRod was legal before. Tony

Comment

• Originally posted by PRAOF View Post
        Why not have the 20ci hot rod legal in bh or as we know 20ss ,to fill the void and let other racers compete. That will give sidewinder time to get going. The hotRod was legal before. Tony
        Tony, I think the point Dan was making is to allow the 302 a little more time before it is phased out of 20SSH (BSH, or whatever it gets called). The sidewinder will eventually be the motor of choice. However, it is not really available as we speak, and some like to plan a little ahead, test, whatever, to prepare for next season.
        Sean Byrne

Comment

Working...
        X