The "official" Stock Outboard Plan "D"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wagner-racing16-s View Post
    Jeff, I like the way this plan is sounding. 1 thing I would change is the name of the 302ssh class. The motor is bone stock and we are calling it super stock which sounds like it would be faster. So my change would be call the 302 class CSH and change the current blueprinted 102 and 302's to C Super Stock Hydro.
    Skippy and Bill,
    Really, that is what you guys are concerned about??? The name???? The committee that traveled to Chicago from all over the U.S discussed the name in a private meeting after the all day SORC meeting in January. We thought of all kinds of names "factory stock, spec stock, spec class" etc... We decided that if we were getting into the sport those names were boring and far from exciting. 302 Super Stock sounds cool in my opinion and were sticking with it.
    http://www.stockoutboard.com/

Comment

Originally posted by jsilvestri View Post
      Jeff, your more than welcome to run with the Three Rivers CSH's, just slow down and wait for us once you get out front.
      Ha, thanks Joe. The plan will work perfect if we slow it down enough to get to the point you and I cannot get away from each other. Now that will be fun!

Comment

Multiple Engines

Before I started racing in the 60's I clearly remember the enthusiastic
        competition between the 6N-HR Champs and the Gold 20-H's. Later when
        the conversions were introduced the pendulum swung back in favor of the
        Mercs. These were the glory days of B racing and we will never see these
        numbers again. Stock outboard racing is a "niche' sport with barely enough
        participants to ensure survuval. I think we are kidding ourselves to think that
        major growth in this sport will happen in the future. To ensure survival we have
        to think of how we can run races and not lose money. The profit margin on those
        races that do not lose cash is never great. Up here in Canada we have to run 3 in
        2 weekend events to come close to breaking even. With that in mind we have to try
        to let everyone who brings a rig join in somewhere, somehow. There are few runabouts
        up here but there are healthy 25ssR and CSR numbers in Region 1 . I see an advantage
        in having at least one class with several engine variants and weights to accommodate
        various sized drivers. I counted four different engines at the Nationals in 25ssR and I
        found that in itself interesting and exciting. On the club level there were at various
        times four different engines running as well. The local clubs NEED those entrants, most
        of whom are also running CSR. If you want to run only with Yamatos there is CSR, one
        weight two similar engines. I see similarities between the the old Champ-20-H days and
        25ssR which is really a unique class in itself. I wish there was a possibility of getting
        Y-80's in as well or even B-1's why not/ More participants, more entries,more money!
        This still leaves several one engine classes unaffected.My two cents.

Comment

Thank you for clarifying Jeff. Just wanted to make sure I read it correctly...
          444-B now 4-F
          Avatar photo credit - F. Pierce Williams

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Bill 96D View Post
            Whats wrong with this picture.
            Restricted Yamato 102 and 302 as run in 25SSR, weight for 7/16 restrictor 440, 9/16 weight 420
            • Mercury 25XS w/ restrictor, as run in 25SSR, weight 415 lbs.
            Originally posted by Jeff Brewster 59s View Post
            Bill,
            why waste the time to make a post like this and not explain what the problem is? What is wrong with the above in your opinion?
            Jeff the problem is for the Restricted Yamato option, the 7/16 restrictor has a higher weight than the 9/16 restrictor. I'm guessing you have them backwards.

Comment

Originally posted by KyleHannon View Post
              Jeff the problem is for the Restricted Yamato option, the 7/16 restrictor has a higher weight than the 9/16 restrictor. I'm guessing you have them backwards.
              Yes 9/16 restrictor currently in the 25ssr class at 430lbs. 7/16 is 400lbs.
              Kyle Bahl
              20-R

"He didn't bump you, he didn't nudge you, he rubbed you, and rubbin' son is racin'!"

Comment

I agree with many of the points that ottawamercguy brought up. I just don't see the logic or benefit to gutting the current 25SSR class which is very healthy and competitive as it is. On any given weekend Team Casual will have three 25SSR's on the water all powered by different motors.........Just saying !

Sam,
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Islandmon View Post
                  I agree with many of the points that ottawamercguy brought up. I just don't see the logic or benefit to gutting the current 25SSR class which is very healthy and competitive as it is. On any given weekend Team Casual will have three 25SSR's on the water all powered by different motors.........Just saying !

Sam,
                  Yes, I can understand this when you are in a region with a strong 25ssr class, but we are looking at the whole country here and what would be best for the sport overall.
                  With your current 25's can you picture the C's in there bashing it out with you also? Talk about competition! This would make racing more fun to watch. If you were a spectator which would you want to watch, qualifying races and a twelve boat final or two seperate races with 5 or 6 boats a piece? I love this sport just as much as anyone and a boat parade that is over after the first turn is not only boring, it's almost embarrassing!
                  With less classes, your race committee is not forced to race 40+ heats a day. But, if they have time they can add a third day of racing and you still get the seat time.

Comment

Originally posted by Racerkyle20 View Post
                    Yes 9/16 restrictor currently in the 25ssr class at 430lbs. 7/16 is 400lbs.
                    It took me a while to figure out how I made this mistake. Now I realize that when I cut and pasted some of this class from Plan B, that is how it is written.
                    I have now fixed it in the first post (it is actually a 1/2 restrictor and not a 7/16) and I have added 10 lbs to the 15S Sidewinder in the A class as suggested by Fast Jack.
                    I have also added the Model 80 back into the 20SSR class where it began, just to see if there is any interest.
                    Thanks for the input guys, any other suggestions?
                    Last edited by Jeff Brewster 59s; 12-20-2012, 07:32 AM.

Comment

Yes, I can understand this when you are in a region with a strong 25ssr class, but we are looking at the whole country here and what would be best for the sport overall.
                      With your current 25's can you picture the C's in there bashing it out with you also? Talk about competition! This would make racing more fun to watch. If you were a spectator which would you want to watch, qualifying races and a twelve boat final or two seperate races with 5 or 6 boats a piece? I love this sport just as much as anyone and a boat parade that is over after the first turn is not only boring, it's almost embarrassing!
                      With less classes, your race committee is not forced to race 40+ heats a day. But, if they have time they can add a third day of racing and you still get the seat time.

Jeff with all due respect and I do mean that unless the spectators are willing to pony up some of the money that I spend each weekend I'm not too concerned if they have a good time or not. Beyond that many of the 25 drivers I run with also run CSR myself included, it’s going to be hard to be two places at once. As for my race committee (MHRA) and the other race sites we visit it’s my guess that they enjoy the full fields of 25ssr and CSR especially when they look at the P&L summary for each weekend.
                      At the risk of repeating myself I'll say it again “leave this class structure alone” it’s not broken. On a more positive note Jeff, you’ve put a big target on your back by publicly publishing these proposals and this is not about Sam vs. Jeff or whoever. With that said I appreciate all the time and effort you have put forth on this issue.

Thx,
                      Sam

Comment

I like it. Fewer classes more boats per class = better racing for drivers and spectators alike. In region 11 we don't have any boats for 25SSR, so I run A and C. I am too heavy for A and too light for C. I will continue to run A and under this plan I will be more inclined to run C. I can put in a restrictor and take out the 30lbs of lead. I have always felt this much ballast is a safety issue, even secured it is still a lot of weight that can thrown around in the event of a mishap. I also know of one driver that we lost in CSR due to the amount of weight that had to be added, more than me. A lot of boat control is lost with a light driver and a heavy ballasted boat, again I feel another safety issue.

I am not trying to advocate for region 11, because I am sure these kinds of issues are common across the regions. This plan will allow more diverse drivers in a single class, at least I see it that way.
                        kk

Comment

Originally posted by Islandmon View Post
                          Jeff with all due respect and I do mean that unless the spectators are willing to pony up some of the money that I spend each weekend I'm not too concerned if they have a good time or not. Beyond that many of the 25 drivers I run with also run CSR myself included, it’s going to be hard to be two places at once. As for my race committee (MHRA) and the other race sites we visit it’s my guess that they enjoy the full fields of 25ssr and CSR especially when they look at the P&L summary for each weekend.
                          At the risk of repeating myself I'll say it again “leave this class structure alone” it’s not broken. On a more positive note Jeff, you’ve put a big target on your back by publicly publishing these proposals and this is not about Sam vs. Jeff or whoever. With that said I appreciate all the time and effort you have put forth on this issue.

Thx,
                          Sam
                          Thank you Sam, I agree with you more than you realize. I fully understand the situation in Michigan. Please introduce yourself if we end up in the same pits somewhere. I hope to meet you some day.
                          As far as the target on my back, I can understand that also. But I promised if we were going down, I was going down fighting. As chairman, I don't have a vote unless it is a tie so my opinion doesn't really mean too much. I do feel it is my job though to find some form of direction for our future. I want that direction to be the best one for the sport no matter what letter the plan has above it.
                          Even, if we go with no plan at all, atleast we will know we thought about all of the options and didn't give up.

Comment

Jeff how can you add 10 pounds to the sidewinder when you have no clue how much the new manifold is going to slow it down, there has been no testing with it on the hydro yet. Also even at 325 with the Merc it still will not beat the good OMC's or the good Sidewinders I have worked with them long enough to know that. At local races they will run with the run of the mill OMC's but not on a national level they just help in boat count. Also you still will end up with 40 heats a day as the clubs will add Mods just so they can break even. The real issue isnt class structure its the cost of putting on a race and what the clubs have to pay APBA to put on the race and has to pass it on to the drivers in entry fees. I been to a lot of races that had 3 in 2 and its hard to get people to run the third day as they can a ford it.
                            Destiny is a matter of chance,it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.

Comment

Thank you Sam, I agree with you more than you realize. I fully understand the situation in Michigan. Please introduce yourself if we end up in the same pits somewhere. I hope to meet you some day.
                              As far as the target on my back, I can understand that also. But I promised if we were going down, I was going down fighting. As chairman, I don't have a vote unless it is a tie so my opinion doesn't really mean too much. I do feel it is my job though to find some form of direction for our future. I want that direction to be the best one for the sport no matter what letter the plan has above it.
                              Even, if we go with no plan at all, atleast we will know we thought about all of the options and didn't give up.
                              Actually Jeff we met this last season in Akron, man that was a hot weekend. I was next to your son when he rolled his 25ssr over in turn one. Anyway I'll make it point to reintroduce myself the next time our paths cross.

Sam,
                              87-M

Comment

Originally posted by G Stillwill View Post
                                Jeff how can you add 10 pounds to the sidewinder when you have no clue how much the new manifold is going to slow it down, there has been no testing with it on the hydro yet. Also even at 325 with the Merc it still will not beat the good OMC's or the good Sidewinders I have worked with them long enough to know that. At local races they will run with the run of the mill OMC's but not on a national level they just help in boat count. Also you still will end up with 40 heats a day as the clubs will add Mods just so they can break even. The real issue isnt class structure its the cost of putting on a race and what the clubs have to pay APBA to put on the race and has to pass it on to the drivers in entry fees. I been to a lot of races that had 3 in 2 and its hard to get people to run the third day as they can a ford it.
                                Don't worry George, the parity committee's will fix it if it is too slow. Heck, I thought you would be happy with this one since you have someone to race against. Plus, with the extra ten pounds you can stop smoking and still be on weight.

Comment

Working...
                                X