Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stock Outboard 2011 National Meeting Updates!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

20ssH

Originally posted by B Walker View Post
    Well, I think were making progress scince you did not even put the Y-80 on the list Mike.

Personally, I think the Y80 and Y302 should both be the motors of choice.

There is great parity between the Y80 and Y302 right now. Either motor can win on any size course. Because of this, I don't think that formula should be messed with. Messing with one of APBA's biggest and most competitive classes will only tend to drive people out of it.

I do not believe that having a new motor will drive people to any class. If that was true, BSH would be booming.

We have helped 4 people start in 20ssH over the last 5 years...ALL with Yamato 80 motors that they bought for $1200 or less. They would not have bought a Y302 or SW for more money. Many can argue that new motors get people into racing...I can only comment on what we have seen work in our Region...Innexpensive Y80s.

As far as the Y80 being an "antique", I don't think that is relevant at all. You can still buy motors and all parts required. Its a GREAT, INNEXPENSIVE motor that will run for many, many years. To me that is what is required for a class.

Some may comment that "I am protecting my trailer box" if I own every make of Yamato, which one am I protecting? What I am trying to do is protect what I feel is the best class in APBA. Folks can get started with cheap Y80s or buy a Y302 if they prefer and be very competitive quickly. They will also have the option to buy a SW20 and I think Runne and the parity committee are doing the best they can to ensure it is introduced at the right speed.

- Mike Pavlick

Comment

Rocky and anyone else that cares….

Here is how we came up with that height. BTW…I suggested even throwing some weight in and it was voted down. (Our SORC Chairman wouldn’t even agree to it)

Ed Runne was present when we were having the parity meeting. He felt he could live with that height as long as we came back and looked at it again if we decide we went too far or handicap it further if needed. He also agreed to try and come to the Midwest for a test session to see if we can get some better test data.

There are at least Two (2) 25ssr boats in the country running at the current runabout height rule of 1” below the bottom of the boat at speeds between 64 and 65 mph. That assimilates to a hydro with the sidewinder 20 pushing a hydro between 67 and 68 mph without much testing, so that would be only dropping it another 3/8. So we felt that was as good place to start.

Matt D also said there was some testing done a Jessup and during testing on Friday the Sidewinder was 1.5/2.0 MPH faster than his 20 rig with his 80. He also said that during the race he was faster than the Sidewinder. Not sure what happened there.

Even though it’s a 20 Hydro committee only, we did talk about the runabouts and I believe everyone agreed that there was no reason to touch the runabout. The reason I mention that is we want to do everything possible to not have to restrict the engine with CC’s or anything like that. Main reason it would mess up the runabout. That could mean the Hydro might have to end up having a restrictor if we find we can’t accomplish parity with height.
      "Ask anyone, I have no friends. I do have some people that put up with me and mostly because they like the rest of my family"

Don Allen

Comment

Sw

That sounds like some REAL good test data to drop a motor almost a full1" Rocky

Comment

SW Height

We all need to remember that it's a starting point.

The worst thing that could happen to the class is to have a few folks able to buy a new motor and then have 3 mph on the rest of the field. That would drive a lot of people out of 20ssH...most likely to B Mod.

Runne was there and I do believe that the team is working for parity to keep all 3 motors competitive. They all realize we need to start somewhere.

From what I understand, as more test data is available, the team will make further refinements (up or down) to maintain parity between the motors.

There were some suggestions for the A class and SW motor which I believe will be tested soon. Its probably the best process we have. Suggest changes and then gather actual test data to refine further.

- Mike

Comment

Working...
          X