SO class reduction proposal, next steps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

25 ssh

As a long time racer in the 25SSH class I feel that it should be left as a stand alone class. Reasons ; 25 hydro is basically a region 1 and 2 class with only a hand full of racers from other regions. 25 is often the largest class in Region 1 , loss or combinmation would result in a financial hardship in what is probibly the fastest growing region in APBA. 25 will not combine well with CSH, as seen at Jesup one of the fastest 25 boats in APBA compitition could only muster 2 fourth place finishes against a solid CSH field. At Kingston Nh two of the top 25SSH boats in the country finished out of the top 5 in a 12 boat CSH- OSY-20 Hydro All star race. Keeping 25 SSH would not affect 7/8 of the regions. When we have a legal field at the Nationals 2 extra heats is not going to affect a 4 or 5 day event. As a class 25 drivers comunicate as to make sure we have a field of boats when we travel outside of the region. There are a lot of things that need work in Outboard racing ..25 is not one of them , It Aint broke .. dont try to fix it . Shawn Cavanaugh

Comment

Firstly, we have a 25 on our trailer...

What stops your local area from scheduling 25SSH as a local class? Keep track of points in your own club for 25SSH (most clubs are tracking everyone for club high points anyway). We do this at our club with one of our classes that is not Nationaly recognized (in fact it is our biggest class, T850). This would give your 25 guys two classes to run locally, 25SSH local and CSH... boosting your entry fees.

Or, come racing in Canada 25SSH aint going anywhere up here... We had 11 at Dunnvile I think thanks to US driver participation.

Originally posted by Fast Jack View Post
      As a long time racer in the 25SSH class I feel that it should be left as a stand alone class. Reasons ; 25 hydro is basically a region 1 and 2 class with only a hand full of racers from other regions. 25 is often the largest class in Region 1 , loss or combinmation would result in a financial hardship in what is probibly the fastest growing region in APBA. 25 will not combine well with CSH, as seen at Jesup one of the fastest 25 boats in APBA compitition could only muster 2 fourth place finishes against a solid CSH field. At Kingston Nh two of the top 25SSH boats in the country finished out of the top 5 in a 12 boat CSH- OSY-20 Hydro All star race. Keeping 25 SSH would not affect 7/8 of the regions. When we have a legal field at the Nationals 2 extra heats is not going to affect a 4 or 5 day event. As a class 25 drivers comunicate as to make sure we have a field of boats when we travel outside of the region. There are a lot of things that need work in Outboard racing ..25 is not one of them , It Aint broke .. dont try to fix it . Shawn Cavanaugh
      Last edited by Andrew 4CE; 12-17-2010, 07:01 AM. Reason: added more info...
      Fralick Racing
      Like our Facebook Team page "Here"

Comment

Corrections

A few corrections:

I have added the Restricted 302 to the BSH class, as it is in 20SSH now.

I have also added the 20CI Sidewinder to the CSR table, as it is now in 25SSR.

I don't seem to be able to re-attach the file to the post. Just wanted people to realize the oversights.

Thanks,

Comment

25 hydro is basically a region 1 and 2 class with only a hand full of racers from other regions.
          Shawn if this statement is accurate why should 25 be a stand alone "national class"? Why wouldn't 25 be run as a local class?

If I understand what Dean is proposing the goal is to consolidate what we have into a national class structure that is strong from top to bottom.

Your thoughts?

Troy

Comment

Lighter weight drivers

Originally posted by CSH12M View Post
            Drivers from 160-220 pounds could race it just handicapped by the restrictor. BSR will primarily be the 20CI Sidewinder class and the cost will be high, initially numbers will be low. CSR can bridge the gap for the 170 pound driver that is to big for ASR but can't afford a BSR. I really think this weight/restrictor handicapping will work and could be very interesting for our future.

As far as leaving the 20CI Sidewinder in. I think it will help justify the cost of a Sidewinder. A 180 pound driver could potentially buy the motor to race in BSR and CSR.
            I understand all of your reasoning Dean, and it is all quite sound. I think my last thought on the subject is that CSR, as proven by the yearly voting down of the lower weight, has been really the only class (besides DSR I guess) where the heavy driver gets a fair shake. The 160-180 pounder have A, B and CSH where the heavy guys can't compete, seems fair to have one class where these guys can either add 50 lbs of lead or not run.

Great work man, keep it up.
            Moby Grape Racing
            "Fast Boats Driven Hard"

Comment

It always amazes me, when I lift a C runabout, they are lighter than some our other classes, the bigs guys, much stronger than us light weights, get to lift this feather on the scale.

Comment

25 ssh

I pay the same BIG $$$$$$$$$ to APBA for my son and I to race that all other racers that get National points. I want the Chance to be 1 US , Get in the Hall of Champions , and get national coverage as the rest of the racers. We do have a local hi point award for SSOA members at our region 1 races. I like the fact that I can tell my non racing friends to check the APBA web sight and see how Jack and I do racing on a national level.

Comment

I pay the same BIG $$$$$$$$$ to APBA for my son and I to race that all other racers that get National points. I want the Chance to be 1 US , Get in the Hall of Champions , and get national coverage as the rest of the racers. We do have a local hi point award for SSOA members at our region 1 races. I like the fact that I can tell my non racing friends to check the APBA web sight and see how Jack and I do racing on a national level.
                  Those things will probably never happen to guys like us. Jack drove a hell of a season this year with some pretty tough customers. I would love to see more pictures of racers in the propeller instead of just the ones who came in first or flipped. I like your high point award for your region, that is a good morale booster for the kids. I am buying Joe and Amy each a trophy for getting high points in region 5 for J runabout and hydro.
                  Before I get slammed for hijacking the thread I will wish you a Merry Christmas and congratulate you and Jack on a great season.

sigpic
                  SIBLING RIVALRY RACING TEAM

Comment

Your right Jack
                    year 2010

BSH-@30.00 A RACE =106 RACES= 3,710.00

25SSH-@ 30.00 A RACE=130 RACES= 3,900.00

I GUESS THE CLUBS DONT NEED THAT KIND OF MONEY
                    Destiny is a matter of chance,it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.

Comment

Several Proposals are out there

There are several proposals floating around. Here is one that keeps all motors we currently use. Each motor can be raced twice, 1 time in Hydro and 1 time in Runabout. Also the Approved motor for Hydro's is the same as the Approved motor in Runabouts.
                      Attached Files
                      444-B now 4-F
                      Avatar photo credit - F. Pierce Williams

Comment

Howie i have this one and agree this is the most compact and workable version i have seen. Thank Nuch for the info. It looks to me like we will spend much time at the meeting working through a compact way to make everyone happy. I think John Runne and the group who started the class combination idea deserve some credit. There version is very similar to all the ones that are floating around today. I bet Ponch is looking down and smiling that we all still have his vision for the future. Mikey
                        mike ross

Comment

So, if one or a combination of them is passed this year, it won't go into effect until the 2012 racing season. Is that correct? I'm concerned because time is of the essance. Jack

Comment

Pre coffe thoughts.....

Originally posted by Howie Nichols View Post
                            There are several proposals floating around. Here is one that keeps all motors we currently use. Each motor can be raced twice, 1 time in Hydro and 1 time in Runabout. Also the Approved motor for Hydro's is the same as the Approved motor in Runabouts.
                            Hey Howie, the same hold true in my proposal the approved motor for Hydro is also the approved motor for Runabout. However, in a few classes (BSH, CSR) there are also some additional motors. Additionally, I do not think the 25 class in that proposal is realistic. You are looking at combining a 72mph hydro class(25SSH) with a 65MPH(20SSH)Class.

Definitely, not trying to bash that plan! However, I don't think it is as practical or goes far enough to fix the problem. Four classes is enough to divide up among the 200 people that race at least 3 weekends a season in SO.

Just my pre-coffee thoughts for the morning.

12M

Comment

The plan that I got from Nuch a month or so ago is excellent. Everyone has a place to race what they currently have and no racers or motor manufacturers get crapped on. It is also nice because even though it shortens the day it doesn't take from the host club's income.

sigpic
                              SIBLING RIVALRY RACING TEAM

Comment

Nuch's Plan

here is Nuch's actual proposal. The other one I had played with.

Dean,
                                With my plan (a few posts above) it only adds 2 additional classes into the mix so I was thinking it would still remain workable, but ?? As for the 25/20 combo it would be with the restrictor back in on the 25. Now I am not sure from there as to the difference in speed ranges so you may be correct. Not saying any 1 plan is better than another but throwing more optionsout to look over.

Mike did you get my other agenda items?
                                Attached Files
                                444-B now 4-F
                                Avatar photo credit - F. Pierce Williams

Comment

Working...
                                X