No announcement yet.

Kingston Roll Call

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The road that was blocked off for the event is US 70, also known as Race St.
    " It's a sad day when you've outgrown everything"
    Art Pugh

Comment

Kingston

Excellent post Danny, glad to see you are up and about.
      82F
      Mark O'Brien

Comment

There are many reasons why many of the PRO drivers did not go. The capsules had several destroyed last year and having problems getting new boats built or repaired. It is all in the works and hope to have several at the up coming races. It is true Kingston is a great place to race. I was there many years ago in a 500 hydro. When so many races are put on close to the same month, it takes its toll on everyone. Drivers will pick the ones they can afford to go to and where there will be a field in their class. Time to move forward and stop all the finger pointing and negative comments. I think we are all waiting for the official rundown on the Nationals. Just my opinion.....Bob

Comment

Danny:

In addition to the reasons already mentioned, when you consider travel costs involved, especially for those coming a good distance, the cost for joining two sanctioning bodies, (although APBA did make the concession to an event or one day membership for their Nationals) the time required based on available time off for lots of folks, and the first year of this change, no doubt it made it difficult financial and time available choices for participants as to which race to attend. Those numbers will be interesting to see after DePue.

The same thing has happened in the past between APBA/NOA, APBA/AOF, and others. The one thing that has remained constant is there have been various forces at work that have forced Boat Racers to make choices. Hopefully that is at an end for the majority of PRO racers now, along with more "bang for their buck."

Time will tell about folks learning anything, but I do agree it is time to put it to bed. Hopefully everyone has learned something that can benefit the most important folks in the equation that pay everyone's bill, the Boat Racers themselves.

Again, Time will tell. At the risk of being labeled cynical, a lottery ticket might be a better bet though.

Comment

Absolutely

Originally posted by Matt Dagostino View Post
            A very expensive 'top shelf' clock!!............
            with the overcast skies, you could the clock from a long ways off!!

THANKS to CVRA for the use of their equipment trailer and rescue boats. This was huge in making this race a success.

And it was a success. I expect that outboard racing will be back in Kingston next year and for the next several years. The town could not have been more supportive and boat racers in attendance supported the local stores, restaurants and hotels. A good match.
            David Weaver

Comment

How Many Boats?

How many boat in all, and in each class?

Thanks...........................
              sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

I think we had 72 entries.

The biggest was 125H. I think there were 10. We had 6 500R's, 5 or 6 350H's
                5 1100r's, 9-10 Service r's, 7 C racing r's, 4 250h's, 3-4 125r's, a couple of kph, 6 OSY's.

It was not a huge race, but under the circumstances pretty good.

Tim
                Tim Weber

Comment

I was not there, but...........

Originally posted by DeanFHobart View Post
                  How many boat in all, and in each class?

Thanks...........................

During a conversation with a well respected member of the PRO racing community who was in attendance, he indicated there were approximately 60 total entries of which about half were Antiques, and the rest regular PRO entrants.

He also indicated that 500 and 1100 Runabout were the most popular classes with 6-8 entrants each, and that there were not enough 250 or 350 Runabouts to hold a competition with those classes. 250 and 350 Hydro had 3-4 boats each with step-ups. No capsule classes.

This is a verbal account from someone who was there, and I have no reason to doubt his account.

It will be interesting to see the official APBA announcements.

Comment

I was there, raced and .. your point is Bill?

Here is what I remember on the water.

500R Voss, RC Hawie, Thirlby, Thirlby step up JW, D Maliot, Zach M step up
                    1100R Duck, JW, Maliot, RC, Thirlby
                    350H walls jr, Maliot, Jamie Nielson, Weaver step up, Helston
                    250H Helston, Weaver, Travis Ellison
                    125H Augistine x 3, Ellison, Tenney, Jones, Tennell, Simmons a couple I can't remember
                    250r 0
                    350r 0
                    175H 3
                    OSY 5 or 6
                    KPH 2
                    Service runabout 9-10
                    C-racing r 7
                    Service Hydro 5
                    C-racing Hydro 7

I'm sure I missed a couple.

Tim
                    Tim Weber

Comment

my 2 cents as a volunteer, pit crew, photographer, spectator, etc.

Some folks reading this thread are interested in results. Others want to make comparisons for their own determination of success or failure of this event. These things I know to be true (and yes, I was there)

•Drivers came from near and far to compete
                      •National Champions were crowned and drivers worked hard to achieve these accolades
                      •No entries were step-ups as they met the rules for displacement
                      •The organizers of “Smokin the Water” reached out APBA to sponsor a boat race
                      •The people of Kingston, TN were extremely happy to host the APBA Pro Nationals
                      •Volunteers from different racing categories and clubs came together for this event
                      •Spectators braved two days of rain to watch boat racing even though many of the other local events were cancelled

So for those of you keeping score - it may not have been the most well attended race in history. It hadn’t been on racer’s calendars for a year. Vacations had likely already been planned. Maybe equipment was in need of repair. Whatever the case may be, this city wanted us racing for them and we wanted to be there. Isn’t that what it’s all about anyway?

Attached are from APBA's facebook page:

Here are the Pro Nationals results. Kuddos to Jay Walls for winning 4 Championships and to John Peeters for winning his 6th consecutive title in OSY-400! A big THANK YOU to Kingston for welcoming us back to their beautiful city. Congratulations!

125ccH
                      David Jones
                      Kate Augustine
                      David Tenney

175ccH
                      Brent Simmons
                      Buddy Tennell
                      John Weinandt

250ccH
                      Chris Hellsten
                      David Weaver
                      Travis Ellison

350ccH
                      Jamie Nilsen
                      Zach Malhiot
                      Kevin Ellison

500ccR
                      Mike Thirlby
                      Andrew Thirlby
                      Pete Voss

1100ccR
                      Mike Thirlby
                      J.W. Myers
                      Dwight Malhiot

OSY-400
                      John Peeters
                      Herb Lanphear
                      Ian Augustine

ACRH
                      Jay Walls
                      Jim Nilsen
                      Duke Johnson

ACSR
                      Jay Walls
                      Tim Weber
                      Jim Nilsen

ACSH
                      Jay Walls
                      Jim Nilsen
                      Duke Johnson

ACRR
                      Jay Walls
                      Jack Campbell
                      Duke Johnson

Comment

Bill, not sure who you talked to but as the race director your information is wrong. We had 72 entires. We had a better turnout than expected for all the reasons Jean stated. We made a great start laying the ground work to grow this race for the future. The city is excited and the town loves boat racing. I could not ask for more.
                        I want to extend a huge thanks to CVRA for the use of their equipment and all the volunteers to include Tom Burwinkle and Eric Vanover for all their time and effort!
                        Checks will be in the mail soon!

Kristi Z-22

PRO Commissioner

APBA BOD

"Ask not what your racing organization can do for you...Ask what you can do for your racing organization"
                        Tomtall 06

Comment

Being a member of both APBA and USTS, I felt bad we could t attend the Nationals....for no other reason than just to spend quality time with my racing family. June ended up with a cast on her left arm (and no I had nothing to do with it) from chasing one our dogs. APBA, USTS, AOF, whatever. These all draw great racers, and each champion should be proud of what they have accomplished (except John Peeters......6 times? That's what you get for doing your home work.....you can't beat consistency. Congrats my friend. Much deserved). I hope we can attend next year and I promise to bring some gator for the smoker ........,as long as John Madrell brings the cookies.

Comment

Thanks so much for the input of the race. I know of so many that would have liked to be there but there is only so much time and money that can be spent on the road. July 4 th weekend is tough for many. Time will tell where all this is going. From what I have read, the turnouts at all the races have been low. Thanks again for the results....Bob

Comment

photogirl

where are all the pictures from Kingston, you have been home for almost a week
                              see you in depue

roger

Comment

Jay Walls... Cool

Looks like Jay Walls is "Da Man"..... Congratulations Jay.

Like Kristi says...... "A good start to build on for next year".

Best Regards,

Dean Hobart
                                sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Working...
                                X