Briggs and Stratton and Mini Most

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

family time

When I get home from work each night the kids meet me at the door ready to head to the shop. We measure, we cut, we re-cut, and some times we grab a new peice of wood and start all over again. We have put screws and nails in that have totally missed their traget. The most important thing we do in the shop is laugh! We have wasted some wood on this project, but we have not wasted an opportunity to laugh. The kids are learning tool safety, wood working, and hopefully they are learning about just hanging around with family. This project has brought back memories of when I would crack up a boat and spend the next week at my grandfather's shop putting it back together. Gramp looked forward to it as much as I did. This past week I have passed Gramps woodworking lessons on to the great grandchildren he never got to meet. The kids have gotten to know a liitle bit about their great grandfather who went home to be with the LORD almost 20 years before they were born.
    I didn't realize that building these little boats would mean so much more than just getting on the water. What a great joy they have brought to our lives.

This is a great journey in our lives, and it is making the destination all the more greater!

RussW

sigpic
    SIBLING RIVALRY RACING TEAM

Comment

chill bumps

every story told so far has the message of passing on the history and shareing the energy and memories of loved ones and fellow boat racers from the past.. russ your kids may not have met your grandfather personally ,, but by learning the things he taught you and actually building their own boat its like they are meeting him and he is still alive is there boats..Fantastic!!! I love the part about the laughs and family time..you gotta have that ,,,gotta,, :

Comment

When I was a youngster, I had a mini-max and before that I had a Popular Mechanics "pumpkin-seed". I powered the Pumpkin-seed with a 6 hp Lauson (about the same thing as the Briggs). In the stock configuration, (I was 8 years old and of medium weight) the boat would not go 15 mph. I upgraded to a 5 Merc and got a few miles per hour more, then a 7hp Merc Rocket and things got a little better, then a 10 hp Merc and the transom came off-but before it did, I got about 27 mph out of it. I do however feel that you have a great idea. Ron Hill and I have been busting our butts trying to figure out how to get the kids back into racing. I feel that the AOF and the mini-max may be an answer. We were thinking of a boat in which the young driver could actually "sit in" and drive without getting wet. The current field of hydros are rediculous when the driver cannot even reach the motor to start it without sinking, the run-a-bouts aren't much better (thank you APBA). I would like to see us back in the days when a utility racing boat was actually a boat and you could re-wind your own starter rope. There are not a lot of kids today that want to get all greasy and wet trying to hold a prop clear of the water and a third party trying to pull the rope! I think modern kids, being creatures of comfort would like to sit down, push a button and get a nice clean start, just like dad in the big boats. and I think this could be done at a reasonable cost--In the mean time keep up the good work with the mini- max! Rod Zapf (capnzee)

Comment

delays

Not sure if our minimost will make it to Lake Placid this coming weekend. We still need to install sides and deck. Got a new house last week, wasn't really looking for one but got a good deal so that has taken time away from the shop. We hope to be all moved in a couple of weeks(only 2 miles from current house) and will be back at the minimost stuff very soon.

We may try to demo a Briggs motor on a light J or A boat so people can see it in person.

Hope to see many of you in Lake Placid this weekend. Last I heard my hydro and safety gear was somewhere south of Mass. so I will be spectating until it arrives.

RussW
          Last edited by aojesus; 01-15-2006, 06:27 PM. Reason: forgot something

sigpic

Comment

March Update

Sorry for the delays in the minimost project updates. Life is getting back to normal so we are back in the shop.
            Carl Staron has completed his minimost and is alreading planning the next one. Carl aslo has fabricated gas tanks, steering bars, steering hubs, and throttle parts.
            We are working on the rev limiter issue so that the motor can be used in advanced classes.
            Carl Staron, John Schutzenhoffer, and Tom Dunn have been busy with on the water testing and the reports are Good.
            Some construction issues have come up regarding framing, material, e.t.c.
            The general consensus is that as long as the hull matches the dimensions of the plans and it is safe, it will be legal. If you can build them easier by using different techniques and framing it is O.K.
            There are also some disappointed adults because they want a minimost class for them to play in. GO FOR IT! Our feelings from Highlands Outboard are "If you build it, it will have a place to run".
            Carl and I had a long discussion tonight and we both believe that there needs to be a place where people from 6 years old to 106 years old can get on the water and have fun.
            We hope to have a few complete outfits ready soon to display to the general public.
            This project is still alive and well! Hope to send more updates soon!

RussW

sigpic

Comment

Is this STOCK briggs? I ask this because I think we all know people that can do things that border on magic when it comes to briggs motors. Isnt that right you old cart racers out there!!

Comment

dont take that wrong!! I think its a great plan I just think you might want to make it a rule if its got a BASKET it dont run . at least for the kids I told an old cart guy what you were doing he figures he can get about 18 hp out of a 8 hp briggs
                Last edited by kws; 03-28-2006, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Everything is legal til you get caught

Thanks for your reply.

I saved a bunch of my "special items" from my pro-kart days. For about $50 these motors can be piped, jetted, and methanol ready.
                  This is a good thing. There seems to be a lot of interest from "older" folks who want to play. This boat and motor is a cheap way to get "retired" racers as well as curious adults on the water on a regular basis. This rookie class isn't about points or first place finishes so high tech hidden modifications aren't necessary.
                  If enough adults want to play than there could be a class where anything goes with the motor. I would like to see some of the "old timers" actually take one of these motors and see how radical they can make it. This could be another way to get the veterans back into the action.

I can't stress enough that the kids class must remain stock, safe, and FUN.
                  As far as the adults go, build the wildest motor you can or have fun with a somewhat stock motor.

I can't say exactly where, but there is already a briggs powerhead that is ported, polished, punched, piped, jetted, and ready for alcohol. I saw it just a few minutes ago when I let the dog out. (it will NOT run in a kids class!) It is great for fast trolling

RussW

sigpic

Comment

Isn't this cute?
                    Carl and John tell me pipe is for giggles.
                    Connie
                    Attached Files

Comment

The engine up close. Will cost around $700.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by AOFoffice; 03-28-2006, 09:40 PM.

Comment

LOL "Everything is legal til you get caught" Now you sound like a stockcar racer !
                        I have yet to meet a racer that puts stuff on for looks IF it costs WEIGHT lol
                        very cool

Comment

It makes me almost wish we hadn't gave CANEPOLE ours.. but then he made a robotic fishin boat out of it so I suppose its all good
                          http://www.tomsstuff.net/id30.html
                          Im the ugly one in the middle of the 2nd pic with my brother Gene 26v and our father

he does some pretty neat stuff and he is a good guy
                          http://www.tomsstuff.net
                          Last edited by kws; 03-28-2006, 11:15 PM.

Comment

Remote controlled Mini Most:
                            Now THAT is a good idea.
                            Put your favoirte driver in the boat and then YOU orchestrate them aroundthe course.
                            I get Ed Hearn.
                            Connie

Comment

Very Cool for a kid.

Are you bringing it to Avon Park to show it off?

Tim
                              Tim Weber

Comment

tim,
                                The boat was built by Carl Staron. He say that he is revising the plans and can save a lot of money in building and making it more simple. I believe that engine is John Schutzenhoffers, although I think Carl is going to carry a dealership.
                                I also heard that it will be entered in the race in Inverness this week end in the 125 Hydro class. Watch out Buddy Tennel. You got a Mini Most after you!
                                Connie

Comment

Working...
                                X