any races july/august??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ron Baker View Post
    No revenge needed, Just wondering if I learned anything from the a$$ kickin' or if I'm truly the old dog you can't teach new tricks to
    There was no kicking involved, when I saw the number and level of Mod boats in your club I was just running scared.

Comment

What About Montana & Eastern WA Lakes for AOF Races?

Mike,

You have some nice lakes in Montana. How come you don't set up a boat race at one of the lakes? Too many county restrictions, high permit fees, or too rough & windy? Just wondering...

My wife and I liked racing at Scootney Reservoir in eastern Washington, but SOA/APBA does not race there any more.

Al

Comment

Originally posted by Al Peffley View Post
        Mike,

You have some nice lakes in Montana. How come you don't set up a boat race at one of the lakes? Too many county restrictions, high permit fees, or too rough & windy? Just wondering...

My wife and I liked racing at Scootney Reservoir in eastern Washington, but SOA/APBA does not race there any more.

Al
        Tourism is very important to Montana and is the second largest business in the state so the parks dept does not want to give up recreation time for boat racing plus most of the lakes are remote and would not get any spectators or do anything for the sport..However we do have our biggest course and race of this year on the Noxon Reservoir the last weekend of August and everyone is welcome. We have a big barbeque Saturday night and tons of spectators. I believe folks pitched horse shows till midnight and they had a live band. Thats the best we can do Al.
        Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

As for some of our races this year that got cancelled it was not for lack of community support but lack of support from mother nature.

I believe that if you look at what has happened this year a awful lot of races across the US have been cancelled for a lot of reason but mother nature has not helped.

Comment

Originally posted by blueskyracer View Post
            As for some of our races this year that got cancelled it was not for lack of community support but lack of support from mother nature.
            SLORA needs to get off the rivers, there is better water out there.

Newport is best in August, same with Ione.
            Sattler Racing R-15
            350cc Pro Alcohol Hydro
            TEAM VRP
            The Original "Lunatic Fringe"

Spokane Appraiser

Comment

Agreeeed!!!!!

I think everyone knows it too, the moving bodies of water are just too unpredictable!!!! Love those areas and love the local support, but it is and always has kicked our behinds from time to time. I spoke with ron just recently about having a committee to seek out new/old race spots. It is a double edged sword, as you hate to give up an existing spot, as they are very hard to come by. We used to race twice a year at elk river, you can count on a weekends worth of heats down there.you will get your folks griping about the travel there twice a year, but we have folks griping now many other reasons, its hard to win waitts lake is and always will be a once a year after labor day, no options there. Mike (sattler) is right there are other bodies to race on, they just need to be pursued, i personally dont think moses lake is the answer either, as it blows 350 days a year there. Good subject, would like to hear others comments on ideas on this. Kevin

Comment

In the last week the Clark Fork has dropped 5 feet so Trout Creek should be great..With hind site in place if we had left Ione in its normal spot early August we would not have lost it for the year..That is a shame since I like it.. Newport is a demolition derby and I don't think it will matter what time of the year we run we will have more wreaks that any other site. Great for the fans but not the race teams. I am planning on just watching this year.. Banks Lake the folks that run the place need anger management and people skills classes. We have a lot of folks that will not return to Banks for that very reason. Moses lake is the longest drive for us and we usually have one blow off day. For us not cost effective.. Waitts is good and early September is ok. I think we need to at least put together a group to find at least 3 new sites. Keep Elk River, Ione, Waitts Lake and Trout Creek..

That is just my opinion

Comment

Before your time Mike, we ran twice at Elk River and twice at Newport. When we ran Newport on the 4th it was always a crapshoot, but when we did the 1st or 2nd week in August it was great, and nicer weather.

People can ***** and complain about Moses all they want. In the 10 plus years I have been there, I can remember 2 days of not racing there due to weather. It is very well protected, and is the best water we've had. Expensive? Yes it is. But the park is great, and so is the water. There is always ways to help offset the costs. Problem being, no one wants to do the leg work anymore. Heck, we've been blown off at Waitts lake more than Moses. Look what happened on Saturday at trout creek last year. Weather is something we obviously can't control at any site.

I think Elk River is about the only place we've raced every day, even though some of those days it was cats and dogs.

I agree the management @ Banks sucks nowadays. But, they are still allowing the club to race there. Anybody, who attends that resort has to deal with the same management. Why doesn't everyone just put on their big boy pants and deal with it. It's their property so they make the rules. No different than anywhere else different house, different rules.
                  Sattler Racing R-15
                  350cc Pro Alcohol Hydro
                  TEAM VRP

Spokane Appraiser

Comment

Lakes and Such

I liked racing at Moses Lake in the City Park bay area as it is very protected compared to the Airman's Park beach (and it has a better pits layout.) I don't remember any blow-offs at the City Park, but I am sure there have been a few in the past. The water at the City Park is perfect for a decent-size Mod/PRO course. The APBA Stock Nationals (was it 2008?) and AOF 2006 Nats were held there with what I thought were great sanction successes as far as the racers were concerned. I would pay higher entry fees to race at the Moses Lake City Park again; maybe I'm a minority in that respect.

I also think races at Newport are usually better after August 1st.

I also liked racing at Brewster, but there have been race venue issues there in the past due to limited ambulance availability (in the late 1990's they had only one or two fire department EMT units for the whole area), and local townspeople politics about adding complicated special events between flights into the race schedule (during Brewster Days races). The water there is fast and usually much calmer than some other Columbia River sites. Banks has always been a political "rubarb", even for folks who own property around the resort!

What about Lake Perrigan (sp?) where WIR raced, and the Sun/Park Lakes recreational area?

Just some thoughts...

Al

Comment

Whidbey still races Pearrygin - 1st weekend in October every year. Cannot race b4 that due to fishing. Everyone is always welcome to partake - great place and great fun with WIR......

David

Comment

Well said...

Mike s, and my comments toward moses lake, were directed at the connelly park/ airmans beach area, which is where the club is looking at going due to high costs at the other location.

I learned quite a few years ago, *****ing about mother nature, travel, lack of heats on the coast, etc....just got me nowhere, it is a very large part of the sport (hobby) we are part of!!!!! Really one of the only motorsports affected like it is. We ***** about traveling, what 3-5 hours at the outside furthest?? Think of the folks i other parts of the country who travel entire days and perhaps more, we are very fortunate to live in the region we do with so darned many lakes and waterways!!!

To agree with sattler, it is going to take some folks, perhaps a committee to go out, and research new/old race spots. I would find it hard to believe that even some of the race spots we no longer race at, might be re-thought due to the recession. Resort owners, etc.. Might be more open today to us racing with them, then 10 years ago. Just food for thought. Good input and comments here, keep it up!! Kevin

Comment

Yep, Sounds good all we need is volunteers. Water is easier to find. Don't get me wrong I'm not pointing fingers but the whole getting people to volunteer and stick with it Thing is the hardest thing I have ever tried to do
                          Ron Baker E-Mod Hydro R-38
                          sigpic

Comment

Agreed!

Originally posted by Ron Baker View Post
                            Yep, Sounds good all we need is volunteers. Water is easier to find. Don't get me wrong I'm not pointing fingers but the whole getting people to volunteer and stick with it Thing is the hardest thing I have ever tried to do
                            I couldn't agree more. Being a volunteer, referee, or any type of the race committee is a thank less job. Hats off to those that do volunteer and do what they do. Things would be a lot easier if everyone that *****ed volunteered.
                            Sattler Racing R-15
                            350cc Pro Alcohol Hydro
                            TEAM VRP

Spokane Appraiser

Comment

Anyone?

I hear Newport Oldtown is a go permit wise, is this fact? Date again?

Comment

Aug. 6,7.
                                Ron Baker E-Mod Hydro R-38
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X