Recounting My Blowover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recounting My Blowover

Thought I'd just pass along some observations of my CMH blowover experience in Pineville at the Winter Nationals. I started racing in 1948 so it's been a while and this is my first actual blowover. What comes to mind is that it happened very slowly, as the nose came above normal angle of attack, I got out of the throttle and moved forward some (not enough), the nose continued to rise and I knew this was going to be bad, as it continued to rise a pronounced yaw moment set in and I knew I was not going to salvage the situation. As the boat went beyond vertical, I elected to push away from the boat to attain some seperation. This may have been a bad decision because it seemingly slowed the rearward rotation of the boat. It felt like a stall and the boat decinded almost vertically into the water. Because I had not attained enough seperation, I struck the front of the engine with my back. The flak panel in the life jacket saved my bacon. It distributed the impact. I'm pretty stiff and sore but no real damage that I'm aware of. No damage to the boat and only minor damage to the Yamato intake manifold. I'd appreciate any comments on my trying to push away from the boat. I'm not sure I did the right thing but it's not something I want to practice. Many thanks to the official rescue folks, Jeff Williams and the Mathews clan for their help, Also thanks to Dan Parker and Dennis Burke for getting me out for the second heat.
    Last edited by Jack Stotts; 03-22-2009, 01:12 PM.

Jack, I don't know about pushing away or not but just let me say it's great to hear that you weren't seriously injured. We are still trying to get kneel down racing back here in Texas and look forward to you being an integral part of that. Once again, great to see you are ok !

Dennis
    "In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress". -- John Adams

Comment

Jack

Jack,

The main thing is your ok. In every blowover I was in, I never had time to think about pushing away. And those that did what you did got hurt.

Jack..................... I solved my problem by going to OPC, Nothing like strapping in and going racing. The only thing missing is the TV set.

Jack.......... Again, I'm happy to hear your O************.

Burkhardt

Comment

Jack,
        I'm very happy you were not hurt bad! You just try to do what you can in that position and pray. I know holding on sometimes doesn't work because the boat cork screws and that hurts too!
        See you soon Buddy & Thanks for sharing your ride with us!
        Earl 11 J........ Dangerous when Wet Runne Craft- Earl said, " Driving a Runne Craft is like Cheating". Dude, ........ Where's My Boat!

Comment

Hi Jack glad to hear you are OK hope to see you around some place this summer.
          DOUG SCHULTZ--HERE FOR THE SUPPORT OF OUR SPORT

Comment

Hey Mr. Stotts

We are very happy to hear you are O.K. and hope to see you in Jesup.
            The few times that I blew over I was so caught up in the "OH $H*T" moment
            that I didn't do anything to react. Again, we are very thankful that you are OK.

We are disappointed to have missed you this weekend. There was a major communication screw up down here and we wound up staying home.

sigpic
            SIBLING RIVALRY RACING TEAM

Comment

up and out

Jack , ya cant punch out of a cmh !!

Comment

I blew over last year at the nats for the first time so I can speak from experience now. This just shows how "with it" you are Jack. The last thing on my mind was to kick away. Maybe because my mind was busy dealing with the impact of the cowling with my helmet, not sure.
                It was with great relief that we heard you were ok and glad you proved you are still a "tough old bird" when you went out for the second heat.
                Never give up, right?
                http://www.stockoutboard.com/

Comment

Glad you are OK, Jack.

Know exactly what you mean about feeling like a stall...in my one and only blowover (CSR) I had a pronounced yaw with several oscillations before I returned back to the water engine first inverted at about a 45 degree angle.

Mine happened really slowly and I can only describe it as almost an out of body experience as I worked through my options. I chose to hook my forearm under the wheel and try to become one with the floorboard.

Ripped the wheel out on impact. The bridgedeck was attatched to it and both cockpit sides were broken and seperated at the deck and at the bottom all the way back to the transom. But I was fine

Anyways, glad you were not seriously injured.

Mondays gonna be rough!

BW
                  302SSH.....Putting the Stock back in Stock Outboard

Comment

Blow over

Hey Jack, I heard about your missfortune with the blowover and am glad to hear that you are ok. It is funny that you should mention that it happened in slow motion. When the same thing happend to me in Millville It all happened in slow motion. Boat blew up in the air and I can remember feeling like it was manageable and then came the yaw, right side started to drop. As it turns out, It is part of the brains defence mechanism that in extreemly stressfull situations were self presuvation instincts are activated people report things happening in slomotion. very interesting stuff..The phenominon also has roots in Einstiens theory were he claims time is relitive. Neet huh?
                    Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most.

Comment

Jack...glad to hear that you are OK after your "take off". I had a similar experience with my CSR marathon boat last summer and I understand the "slow motion" feeling. My experience was very much as others have reported here. The boat lifted to verticle and then yawed (corkscrewed) as it came down. I didn't have presence of mind enough to separate from the boat and it came down on top of me and I broke a rib and the side of my boat. In my opinion you were smart to try to distance yourself from the falling boat. I hope if it happens again I can remember to do what you did.

Bob Hartman

Comment

jack you might not beleave this but some times when you let go it gets worseIdid it at lakeland and like you i backed off when I thought there was no saveing it I let go AND ATITUDE increased in a hurry but never can we tell glad you made it home safe see ya next time thank for the show chip

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Stotts View Post
                          I'd appreciate any comments on my trying to push away from the boat. I'm not sure I did the right thing but it's not something I want to practice..
                          Jack,
                          I'm impressed with yer account of the event.
                          My last blow over was at Ocoee in AMH (2003-5?) all by myself as I was 1/2 lap behind the Hot-Rods on the 3rd lap, and it happened soooo fasssssst it is just a blurrrrr in my....... young(?) mind.
                          I do recall a slight tug at my butt and the motor going silent as I entered the water.
                          Also remember being towed into the West boat launch,After being checked out by resque personel, while hold'n on'ta the steer bar of the upside down rig.
                          Then sprint'n through the west end of pits back to the east end and jump'n into my BMH/22 OMC rig and lead'n Billy Allen to about 20yards before the second turn where he passed me across the bow of my rig which filled the front of rig with spray from his turn fin, which stood the rig straight up!....It seemed like an eternity as I thought for sure it was gonn'a be # 2 blow over!
                          ......Somehow, Poseidon was smile'n at that moment and the rig came back down and I was able ta finish 3rd.
                          When I returned to where Alan and Walt Long were wait'n to catch the rig as it came to shore, Alan looked in bottom of driver area and ask'd "what's all the blood about?"
                          As I got out'a the rig Walt said "I don't know, but why is yer Kevlar cut on yer left butt side?"
                          By then my AMH/20Merc Commode rig was back to right side up on cart and it was discovered that the prop sheer pin was broke and that the kevlar pants had saved the rest of my BUTT!......That didn't help save the cyl from bust'n when it try'd to compress water!
                          Six stitches on the inside and twelve to close, then we were back enjoying a few brown bottles and look'n forward to the next race!!!!!!!!!!!

SEEEEEEEE YAAAAAAA!........In my wake!
                          Last edited by STEVE FRENCH; 03-27-2009, 12:24 AM.
                          100N STEVE FRENCH > Nobody can hang with my STUFF!! >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tna3B5zqHdk

SEEEEEE YAAAAAA!!............In my WAKE!! .............100N>>

Comment

Observation Jack

Jack, first and foremost, you did NOT blow over a CMH... you blew over in a 500CCMH........................................... .................................................. ....................

Next, glad you are okay, I have blown over twice and been injured each time. Mine were in the old class FEH, new class 850CC. I can honestly say each time it happened I was along for the ride, there was no chance to even think about what was going on other than oh chit this might hurt. So basically I stayed with the boat each time until it spit me out. So I don't know what protocall would be in the event. I think each one is different, and each one can hurt like hell or simply bruise your ego.
                            Dave Mason
                            Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Jack, it was great to meet you this last weekend. All i recall seeing was looking up from my C and seeing your boat standing on its end and an orange blur. But you are the man for making it out the second heat! Hope to see you again, good luck this season, and feel better. Glad you're OK.
                              28-R

Comment

Working...
                              X