No announcement yet.

Recounting My Blowover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, Jack, you gave us a scare! I was so glad to hear you were fine. I was blown away when I saw you go out again! I missed the blow over, but Tab explained to me in detail how it happened. Again, we are glad to hear you were okay.
    Shane Hebert
    15L

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Stotts View Post
      Thought I'd just pass along some observations of my CMH blowover experience in Pineville at the Winter Nationals. I started racing in 1948 so it's been a while and this is my first actual blowover. What comes to mind is that it happened very slowly, as the nose came above normal angle of attack, I got out of the throttle and moved forward some (not enough), the nose continued to rise and I knew this was going to be bad, as it continued to rise a pronounced yaw moment set in and I knew I was not going to salvage the situation. As the boat went beyond vertical, I elected to push away from the boat to attain some seperation. This may have been a bad decision because it seemingly slowed the rearward rotation of the boat. It felt like a stall and the boat decinded almost vertically into the water. Because I had not attained enough seperation, I struck the front of the engine with my back. The flak panel in the life jacket saved my bacon. It distributed the impact. I'm pretty stiff and sore but no real damage that I'm aware of. No damage to the boat and only minor damage to the Yamato intake manifold. I'd appreciate any comments on my trying to push away from the boat. I'm not sure I did the right thing but it's not something I want to practice. Many thanks to the official rescue folks, Jeff Williams and the Mathews clan for their help, Also thanks to Dan Parker and Dennis Burke for getting me out for the second heat.
      In regards to a Yamato ..... I've told the front Yamato handle should be cut off for this very reason ... I still see them uncut occasionally.
      Last edited by drbyrne55; 03-23-2009, 10:07 AM.
      BOPP

Comment

My spark lever is cut off. Today, after my morning shower, I spied a big round purple area on my right cheek which was not on my face. That is where I contacted the outer throttle cable clamp bracket and broke the protrusion on the intake. It is all falling in place. I started my daily workout on the stationary bike today and, as usual, my back muscles are relaxing and I've rejoined the human race. Thanks to all for their concern. I dodged the bullet on this one. I had my GPS on Max speed and ran at full throttle from only the 500 Ft mark so I was still accelerating when I crossed the starting line It maxed out at 72.8 MPH so it was apretty good ride. Jack
        Last edited by Jack Stotts; 03-23-2009, 05:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Stotts View Post
          My spark lever is cut off. Today, after my morning shower, I spied a big round purple area on my right cheek which was not on my face. That is where I contacted the outer throttle cable clamp bracket and broke the protrusion on the intake. It is all falling in place. I started my daily workout on the stationary bike today and, as usual, my back muscles are relaxing and I've rejoined the human race. Thanks to all for their concern. I dodged the bullet on this one. Jack
          Im also glad your OK, my hydro was lifted at 50+ by a gust to about 20 degrees, not claiming to know what to do but I was off the throttle & pulled forward before the 'time to think' thing struck. Luckily it landed safely. In my old days of dirt bikin If I got in the air & the landing looked doubtfull Id bail, easier while standing on foot-pegs tho.
          Team Tower

Comment

Looks like all that military aviation paid off. In the heat of battle you were able to keep it cool and know when to pull the eject lever. Glad to hear your doing good Jack.
            MJR Composites racing...cleveland division

Comment

Jack- I think you did what every good Texan would do...When she starts to buck, get your feet out of the stirrups.

Comment

Jack I was right there when you did it and was sacrey to watch Im glad you are ok buddy and I really didnt have to try and top it on Sunday........lol
                Destiny is a matter of chance,it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.

Comment

Jack

I am Glad you are ok !!!!!!!!! Hope the Spark Thingy can be repaired in good order for your wife's sake !! :<)
                  Pure of heart : Outlaw by nature

"choice not chance determines destiny"

"the race is never quite over , the course is never quite ours"

how many years must a man pay for mistakes he did not make?

here is a link of a little bit of Randy s racing history and a tribute to the late Ken Krier to learn more click the link

http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...221#post107221

Comment

Randy, it was not the Mag. advance handle that got damaged. I don't have that handle on my Mod. What got broken was the small protrusion on the intake manifold that the outer throttle cable mounting bracket bolts onto. I'll simply cut off the remaing stubb flatly and use a spacer to make the bracket fit in it's proper position. I havent checked it yet. I must make sure that I have enough of the protrusion left to have threads for the attaching boat to thread into. I'm very slowly getting over the impact damage on the old bod. It's all muscle strain and bruising and it's on the way back. For some reason, I don't heal as fast as I did 50 years ago. Jack

Comment

Hopefully this is my last post on this subject. It's become ancient history. I had my annual physical a couple of days afer getting home from Pineville and while still very sore, I didn't seem to have any real problems-wrong. Things were just not right so I had a x-ray of my lower back which showed two compression fractures at L-2 and L-4. The L-2 was an old problem that was from my Air Force days but L-4 was clearly from this most recent feeble attempt at flight. The MRI was pretty clear where the hit was made . Well, I go in in the morning for some patch work and should come home late in the afternoon. The last few nights have been unbearable. Could not find a position where I could tolerate the pain-almost went to the emergency room at 2AM but feeling pretty good now and looking forward to tomorrow.

Comment

Good luck on the patch job Jack
                        I enjoyed meeting you in Pineville. I hope to have as much energy and enthusiasm as you. When I get as...young as you

"The Coffee Guy"
                        TEAM CAFFEINE
                        Cranked up and ready to Roll

Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its troubles. It empties today of its strengths (Corrie ten Boom)

"Cup of Joe? Not no mo! Kevs Coffee is the only way to go!" (John Runne 09)
                        " IF you can find a better cup of coffee... Kev will drink it!" (Michael Mackey 08)

Comment

Jack, Hope all goes well, don't want you to miss any races!!
                          Ryan Runne
                          9-H
                          Wacusee Speedboats
                          ryan.runne.4@gmail.com

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"--Albert Einstein

These days, I find it easier to look up to my youngers than my elders.

Comment

Well Me Too

I hope this is my last post too. If I am half as tough as you when I get to traveling the country racing, I will be doing great in my book. See you at the races.
                            Dave Mason
                            Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Working...
                            X