Clear All

check your pm

john,

sent you a pm.

frank

Comment

Denton meeting update

hi all,

just returned from meeting with the town council this evening. every member on the council is for boat racing returning to denton! they did have questions as to what the town would have to spend based on the proposal i presented. when that was brought up the town manager don mulrine chimed in and sais he had talked to one of the council members , dennis porter, who is also with the denton vfb and asked him to speak about it. dennis said he was going to bring up the issue at the vfd meeting this thursday night to see if they can help out. dennis is a former member of the yacht cluband knows frirst hand what the conessions can do over the weekend. dennis will let me know thursday night how it goes.

the bottom line is this.... no one signed on the dotted line yet, but we arew closer, a lot closer.

i want to thank john howard and alvin sanger who were there tonight. john ran some numbers off of the replies you all made. 8 states were represented in the replies, 11 families would be in need of rooms, and we had over 1400 hits on the thread! thanks to all of those who looked and replied to the thread. a copy of the replies was given to the council secretary for the minutes.

like i said we are not there yet but i feel that by friday we will know something. i felt good leaving the meeting. everyone there has been touched by the past races at denton, but the highlight was when the mayor said he remembers watching the races as a 16 year old and falling off one of the pilings during the race.

i will update as soon as i hear from dennis.

frank

Comment

Denton vfb

What is a vfb ?
        !"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Comment

it was late

sorry folks. a vfd is a volunteer fire department. they would run the the concessions and provide the ambulance and the peramedics for the race.

Comment

Denton

Frank
            Denton was my home town and where we started boat racing back to the old yacht club before the new bridge was built so if i can help we will just let me know.
            Tim Lee

Comment

abby i need to talk to you asap

abby,

sent you a pm with my number. i need to talk with you asap

frank

Comment

google earth

hi all,

does anyone know how to use google earth? i need a google earth picture of denton where a race might be. they vote on it tonight at a meeting that starts at 7pm. if i could get a picture that shows the bridge, the park on the other side of the river from the yacht club and the yacht club. you can either post here or email me at fjnbookkeeping@comcast.net thank you. i will keep you posted on the results of the meeting as soon as i get the call.

frank

Comment

Denton update

ok race fans here it is.......

the volunteer fire department of denton is interested in helping put on a race there this year!!!!!!! they have formed a committee to review dates and are layout. dennis porter called me to give me the news just a few minutes ago. if the date and layout can be worked out we are a go.

abby and i spoke earlier and i will put dennis in touch with her. one of the weekends the fire department likes is july 9 and 10 the other date would be in october.

i was able to download google earth and got the maps i needed. the pits may be under the new bridge and use the ramp at the old marina. dave augustine and dave howard will be going there to review that area for the pits. dave is on a cruise and doesn't know he volunteered to do this yet john and i looked at it and we think it will work. the question is if the ramp is usable and the enterence to the pit is ok. if not there is another ramp to use. this is not a show stopper.

might be a good time to start a new thread and see who would be attending.

frank

Comment

I'll start the new thread!

Comment

Denton, MD. RACE 2011 4TH REGION

HI GOOD OLE BOYS,

TO ALL YOU THAT SPEED AROUND THE WATER ON THOSE MOTORIZED
                      IRONING BOARDS......FRANK, DAVE, AND I HAVE GIVEN A LOT OF EFFORT
                      INTO GETTING A RACE BACK AT DENTON. LETS ALL SUPPORT THIS AND
                      MAKE IT BACK TO A YEARLY EVENT. I RACED THERE STARTING IN 1952
                      UNTIL THE LATE 70"S. LOVED THOSE 1 BOUY TURNS. GAVE ME A CHANCE
                      TO MOVE UP A NOTCH OR 2.....WAS ABLE TO RACE WITH GUYS LIKE
                      BOB THORNTON, DOUG TEMPLE, DON CHRISTY, DON PONTIUS, NORM
                      BREWINGTON, MILT DECATUR (who let me drive 277E a DSR there
                      a couple years), JANE SMITH, RAY TIMMONS, ROBT.E LEE, DICK BANKS
                      AND OF COURSE PAPPY AUGUSTINE AND FEBY, (how many stories I could
                      tell about my adventures with FEBY..) PLEASE GIVE FRANK A SHOUT
                      ON THE DENTON ROLL CALL SO WE CAN GET A FEEL FOR THE
                      RACE NUMBERS. IS THERE ANYONE WHO REMEMBERS THE NATIONALS
                      AT CAMBRIDGE IN 1956? WOULD LOVE TO HAVE SOME PHOTOS COPIED
                      FOR ME. THERE WERE SO MANY BOATS THERE. EVERYWHERE YOU
                      LOOKED THERE WERE BOATS. ELIMINATION HEATS ALL DAY IT SEEMED.

MOST SIT BACK NOW AND THINK ABOUT THE GOOD OLD DAYS WHEN
                      ONE YEAR WAS ABLE TO MAKE 17 RACES AND NEVER HAD TO DRIVE
                      MORE THAN 75-100 MILES......RACES ALL OVER THE CHESAPEAKE BAY
                      AREA.

A 75 YEAR OLD KID WHO WILL NEVER GROW UP

ALVIN SANGER, CORDOVA , MD. 51-E 52-E 141E

Comment

denton update

hi all,

here is the latest update on some of the things going on for the denton race. the coast guard has benn called and the application for the race will be mailed on monday 4/3/11. it was interesting to find out that in all those years the denton race was held an application was never made to the coast guard. this is a first. according to the cg the application is only a fomality and we should not hold up our plans for the race. dave augustine is working on the course layout and other items we can't devulge yet.

will update more as other benchmarks are met.

happy spring!!!!

frank

Comment

Working...
                        X