No announcement yet.

Tips on Hydro Set-up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Make sure your turn fin is straight with the air traps. If not it will be a handfull
    Sean Byrne

Comment

my sugegsetion wuld be dnt run it low because the d unit has alot of tail lift run inderct stearing an run a bow lifting prop

Comment

Does anyone know what might be the first race relatively close to the Maryland area this spring?

DSH
        E20

Comment

Probably Millville NJ

Comment

Originally posted by Team B&H View Post
            DSH engines...and it looks like your skeg has been mangled. Gearcases are very important as speeds increase.
            On this topic, in APBA DSH, how much 'pro-filing' is allowed on the 55H gear case? Who is good at it?
            I see the old style case, the 55H, is now legal under a 44XS. Obviously some think it is a better case.

Re; Mr Shears; -he may be running an older two blade prop, up high,
            and with direct steering, it would be a handful.
            Last edited by bh/; 10-21-2009, 06:27 AM. Reason: ??
            Brian Hendrick, #66 F
            "the harder we try, the worser it gets"

Comment

If you change to indirect steering make sure you have a large diameter steering hub minimum 5 1/2" dia.
              John Runne
              2-Z

Stock Outboard is all about a level playing field.

True parity is one motor per class.

It's RACING, not just another boat ride!

NOT a representative of Racing Outboards LLC.

Comment

Originally posted by bh/ View Post
                Re; Mr Shears; -he may be running an older two blade prop, up high,
                and with direct steering, it would be a handful.
                He has a 3 blade Merc cleaver

Comment

Maybe to much of a newbie so pardon me. But what are the advantages and disadvantages of both steering systems? I'm thinking indirect would be less responsive. The boat does turn quick. Am I correct with that assumption?

Comment

Less responsive may not be quite the right way to put it.....

How about more control instead?

There are no disadvantages to indirect rigged steering.

It will be both easier to turn the wheel and not as "twitchy" or "sensitive". But the big hub is what makes it work, really, not just adding the pulley.

BW
                    302SSH.....Putting the Stock back in Stock Outboard

Comment

It is all about the ratio of the motor to your arm. With a small enough drum you can use direct without pulleys on your steering bar.

It all depends on how strong you are and how big your steering wheel is.

Using a big drum with direct steering may be too hard to turn at speed, twitchiness not a concern if the wheel is impossible to turn.

The problem with using indirect with a small drum is that you will have to turn the wheel too far, necessitating changing your grip on the wheel while driving ... often impossible.

Everything has to be in balance

Comment

One of the problems with the small hub & indirect will be that your not steering hand over hand, the others on the throttle. The 5" hub is a nice mid-ratio between small hub direct or indirect. There is a 7" hub available from BTM, I havent used one so dont know how it would effect ease of turning but would bring the wheel turn : motor turn closer to direct steering sensitivity. I also like to put the straight line setting of my steering wheel so the spokes interfere as little as possible with a left turn & back to straight. [hope that makes sense]
                        Team Tower

Comment

Thanks Guys,
                          I do understand all about the ratio thing with the hub and wheel dia. So it may be a few months before I can do any testing anyway. Winter is coming soon. That's going to be hard with a new motor coming tomorrow. Sam haven't got your response on the Yamato 102 with my boat for CSH.

Comment

Working...
                          X