Tips on Hydro Set-up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips on Hydro Set-up

I have a Class D Hydro which I trying to starting racing. It has a Mercury Mark 55H which runs really good. But I need some tips on proper set-up for this boat. It gets a little scary at top speed and it hard to control. Does anyone have experience with Class D boats that would be willing offer any help?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by beshears; 09-20-2009, 05:13 AM.

a few places to start...

1. Did you get any testing or set-up info from the boat's previous owner?
    2. Check the bottom for straightness.
    3. Check that the skeg has been properly shaped.
    4. What is the propshaft height and angle?
    I can P.M. instructions on these items to you if needed.
    Good luck, and welcome to the D class.

Comment

D hydro stats

Tell us some stats on the boat:

1) what is the width of the flat bottom at the rear between the air traps

2) what is the dimension of the after plane = distance from the back of the transom along the air trap to the back of the sponson.

3) what is the length of the bottom at the centerline from the transom to the front between the sponson pickles

4) what is the weight of the boat without engine and fuel tank

5) what is your weight

6) how far below the bottom of the sponson to the tip of the turning fin when fin is all the way down

7) what is the dimension along the transom from the bottom to the top where the engine rests without any shims.

8) as jeff55v suggested check the bottom for flatness. do this for the last 3 feet of the bottom in all directions. a straight edge with a flash light will make this easier.

I guess the engine weighs 100#

fill in your site profile
      Last edited by ZUL8TR; 09-20-2009, 01:51 PM. Reason: add note
      "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
      No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

Altho Ive never driven a D Ive read that its a big step from C. Not just because of the speed but the difficulty of handling as well. Im interested in reading what turns up here. Best of Luck with it & you definitely asked at the right site.
        Team Tower

Comment

I have not driven a DSH yet but I was told by somebody who did for the first time two weeks ago that everything happens a lot faster. It will be interesting to hear what folks say after they return from racing this weekend.
          Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

Might want to go to in-direct steering, as well.
            Ian Augustine

Comment

Originally posted by ZUL8TR View Post
              I guess the engine weighs 100#
              The engine weighs 125 pounds

Comment

Indirect steering!

Good eyes Ian. I bet this solves a lot of your problems. I don't see a tie-down rope either. Make sure you tie the engine down to the eye bolts sticking out of the transom..and tight! The stock legal max prop shaft height is center of the shaft no higher than the bottom of the boat. Good luck. Keep us posted on your progress.
                Joe 2-H

Comment

DSH engines should run with a fair amount of kick in and it looks like your skeg has been mangled. Gearcases are very important as speeds increase.
                  Boat looks like an older B&H so we have had some experience with them.

Comment

Ian,
                    I live in Maryland as well. I live in Hunt Valley.

Comment

You should look up Frank Novotony. He lives over near Westminster.
                      Ian Augustine

Comment

Do you know anyone that may have any used kelvar for sale. Does Frank post on Hydro Net?

Comment

Check you're PM folder.
                          Ian Augustine

Comment

DSH - the more the better

How's that DSH rig coming along? Done any "testing" since September? I think you picked an excellent class to enter in to. I admire all the racers no matter what class they run in - to win takes a great deal of finesse. Not just speed and power. Same holds true to compete in D. Starting out with a 55H on a Quickie is a great way to see what's going on. Get a super start and you could lead the pack into the first turn. Next year build a Super Thunderbolt for that boat - try some props. Make as many races as you can. See you at Millville in the Spring!
                            Good luck - Alex
                            the Mad Russian 12A DSH/Bass Machines Tohatsu

Comment

Originally posted by ian View Post
                              Might want to go to in-direct steering, as well.
                              Not Might want to.....NEED to.

Comment

Working...
                              X