Ignition on DMH 44

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition on DMH 44

I have a Later model Mairiner 44 with the 4 coils on the side. I would like to retain this ignition. The question i have is, has anyone tried to put power to the pack as apposed to useing the mag in under the flywheel. If so how much, 12v? I would like to get rid of the stock fly wheel and put a rope pully on top of the stock flyweel hub, and maintain the factory trigger. Don't know if this is possible, just wondering. If this is not possible, do you know where i can pick up a 44xs flywheel? and will this flywheel work on my 500, i believe it is a 1987 model, but not positive. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Ron Wright
    West Coast Mod Guy

Maybe....

Ron,

Not sure if you can eliminate the flywheel with that system. If it is what I am thnking it is, you will need the flywheel. The 44XS flywheels are the exact same ones that the OPC guys toss away. I think it is the SST120 or maybe the Champ guys engine. They usually keep a couple around and might sell ya one.

Mike Stone might be a source as well, his ignition system he sells is a nice one. He lurks on this board. StoneRacing I think is his handle. He is out there on the left coast to.

Hope that helps a little....
    Dave Mason
    Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Ignition

Thanks Dave for the reply. What is the ignition that Mike stone sells?
      West Coast Mod Guy

Comment

44 Ignition

Hey Ron,

Dave is correct. The flywheel & Stator create AC current to energize the system. The switch box is basically a Ac to Dc Converter. You cannot hook 12 volts to the switch box anywhere without blowing something up. The trigger if memory serves gets 5V Dc power but you need the magnetic field to excite it.

The Flywheels are any V6 Aluminum flywheel and you just need to swap the hubs to make then work. I am out of stock on new ones I have more coming in hopefully by the middle of may.

Steve Roskowski has a working ADI igntion system, you should check with him last I heard it was working and passed prototype stage.

Regards,
        Dave Scott
        Aim Marine Inc.
        613-831-1246 8-5 Mon-Fri
        Ottawa, Canada
        http://stores.ebay.com/Aim-Outboard-Recyclers
        DS(M)H - 20CE

Comment

Stone

Originally posted by 79-0-DMH-Ron
          Thanks Dave for the reply. What is the ignition that Mike stone sells?

Ron, it is basically a Merc system that one can adapt to an OMC Three holer without a bunch of extra stuff. No rev limiters I believe.

He had a post on this site with a PDF format catalog you could download. I have a copy of it if you can't find it, email me david.mason@kellogg.com and I will reply with the attachment.

Steve Rowskoski also sells a CDI system, not sure if he has the prototype done and ready to accept orders. Last time I checked it was around $700.00 for the system and you had to supply some components. He might be able to correct me as I know he looks around here at times. If not email me and I will get you his contact info.
          Dave Mason
          Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Alternate ignition

I do have a new ignition that is working well at least on My C in testing. It is a direct fire self energizing system that is simple to install. It can be set up with fixed or variable timing. I've sourced new modules as the ones on the first batch are NLA from Phelon. The new setup will look very similar to this one with the only real difference being lower wire routing which I like better. The cost is $590 and includes everything down to the spark plug wires, rope plate and even the diodes for the kill switch. The only thing you need is a Merc flywheel cut down to the drawing I provide so you can bolt it on. Here is a photo of the first generation. E-mail me with any questions. The second generation units should be ready in about 3 weeks or so.

Steve Roskowski
            Attached Files

Comment

44 ignition

To answer the origional Question: the Merc ADI system uses a stator with high and low speed windings, these produce 115 V AC ( low speed side ) at cranking, the triger output is 2-3 v AC , The Switch box uses silicon controled rectifiers to convert the input Ac to dc output to the coils, the triger voltage fires the scr switches and controls the timing..Yamaha has a very simple battery CDI system on there mid 80's 4 cyl 2 stokes that will work without a flywheel,it only needs a metal flag to fire the trigger. I had looked at the Yammy system for a 30H mod, looks like it would well.

Comment

How well does this work?

Originally posted by modhydro View Post
                I do have a new ignition that is working well at least on My C in testing. It is a direct fire self energizing system that is simple to install. It can be set up with fixed or variable timing. I've sourced new modules as the ones on the first batch are NLA from Phelon. The new setup will look very similar to this one with the only real difference being lower wire routing which I like better. The cost is $590 and includes everything down to the spark plug wires, rope plate and even the diodes for the kill switch. The only thing you need is a Merc flywheel cut down to the drawing I provide so you can bolt it on. Here is a photo of the first generation. E-mail me with any questions. The second generation units should be ready in about 3 weeks or so.

Steve Roskowski
                Steve are you still making these ingnition systems and what are you asking for them? Aynone out there using this system, and if so would you please provide some feed back on how it works? Thanks to all that reply,
                Gardner Miller
                Lone Star Outboard Racing Association

"Water is for racing. Asphalt is for the parking lot."
                Rember....Freedom isn't...."Free".......

Comment

steve

is still making and selling them i believe..

and i see quite a few at the different events i have went to up to now .

not sure what the general consensus is but i keep seeing them !!

Pm him or email him i know he is very busy this time of year.

he is also making some nice fins, out of carbon fiber material, to your specs.
                  i got a runabout fin from him in may ,it works well!

hope this is some help
                  Randy
                  Last edited by RandY Aveline; 07-11-2009, 07:31 PM.
                  Pure of heart : Outlaw by nature

"choice not chance determines destiny"

"the race is never quite over , the course is never quite ours"

how many years must a man pay for mistakes he did not make?

here is a link of a little bit of Randy s racing history and a tribute to the late Ken Krier to learn more click the link

http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...221#post107221

Comment

Originally posted by RandY Aveline View Post
                    steve

is still making and selling them i believe..

and i see quite a few at the different events i have went to up to now .

not sure what the general consensus is but i keep seeing them !!

Pm him or email him i know he is very busy this time of year.

he is also making some nice fins, out of carbon fiber material, to your specs.
                    i got a runabout fin from him in may ,it works well!

hope this is some help
                    Randy
                    Randy, thanks for the reply, however, I'm looking for some first hand accounts of how this ignition works. I'm thinking that there has to be something better and more user friendly than the old Merc magneto. Thanks,
                    Gardner Miller
                    Lone Star Outboard Racing Association

"Water is for racing. Asphalt is for the parking lot."
                    Rember....Freedom isn't...."Free".......

Comment

Working...
                    X