No announcement yet.

Gary Burdick - Thank You!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you all so much for your support. It has been wonderful hearing such great words from our racing family. Dad will be sorely missed, but very fondly remembered. I am sure he is enjoying being able to talk again and is telling lies with other racers that preceded him. What follows is the "short" version of the obituary. Mom is still polishing on her slightly more wordy draft.

Thank you all so much!
    Ryan

Gary Burdick, 63, longtime resident of Delavan/Darien, died April 17, 2010 at home with his family. He was born April 15, 1947, in Rockford, IL, to Rose Marie and the late Doug Burdick. He graduated from Rockford East in 1965 and the University of Illinois in 1970, putting his engineering degree to work for the DNR in Madison. He married Debbie Murphy in 1978. They formed Burdick Trucking and Excavating which continues as the family business today, due to his tenacity, business sense, and his loyal employees.

His many interests included motorcycles, airplanes, and power boat racing. He was a 20-year member of the American Power Boat Association and the Badger State Outboard Association. He has been the Chairman of the Lake Comus Protection and Rehabilitation District for over 18 years. He was a big fan of the DDHS Comets, serving as a Co-Chair with Debbie of the Booster Club for 2 years. Friends and family always looked forward to the fall season knowing Gary would be at their doorstep with a box of apples and jug of cider. He took immense pride in caring for his beautiful apple orchard.

Gary is survived by Debbie, Ryan & Sarah, along with 2 brothers, Lorrin (Diana) Sacramento, CA and Craig (Teena) Machesney Park, IL and a sister, Ellen (John), Austin, Texas and 8 nieces and nephews. He was preceded in death by his father, his aunt and uncle, Dave and Neva Burdick (Rockford, IL/Stoughton, WI), and another uncle Speed Bartz (Edgerton, WI).

Visitation will begin at 10:00 with a memorial service at 1:00 and a luncheon to follow on Saturday, April 24, 2010 at Our Redeemer Lutheran Church at 416 West Geneva Street in Delavan.

In lieu of flowers, a memorial fund has been established in Gary’s name at M & I Bank, Delavan, WI.

Comment

Very sorry to hear of Garys' passing. Our condolences to the family. He was a good person and will be missed.
      John Runne
      2-Z

Stock Outboard is all about a level playing field.

True parity is one motor per class.

It's RACING, not just another boat ride!

NOT a representative of Racing Outboards LLC.

Comment

I had the good fortune of knowing Gary. He was fun, smart, dedicated, but most of all tenacious and patient. A difficult combination to pull off. I admired the heck out of his spirit to fight a noble fight. He was compassionate. I learned a lot about myself from our conversations and have tried to incorporate what I learned from him to try and be a better person myself. I will miss him.

Paul Nielander

Comment

Gary

deepest sympathies from the Johnson's
          Gary always had time for you. A fine example to follow.

Comment

My sincerest sympathies go to the burdick family over the loss of a truly unique individual, skilled powerboat racer, father and loving family man. I was most appreciative of the many discussions with gary on nearly every subject besides boatracing. I will miss gary as a friend and fellow racer. my prayers go with the burdick family. gary,say hi to beth for me and yes there is boatracing in heven. george young 82v.

Comment

Working...
            X