Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stock Classics, Grass Lake MI Sept 8th and 9th!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stock Classics, Grass Lake MI Sept 8th and 9th!

Have a stock classic outboard boat and motor (runabout or hydro) and want to get into the water to race? We are planning on adding a special exhibition race (no points) in our line up for the Wild Ones Regatta at Grass Lake MI, Sept 8th and 9th.

I believe that there are enough old irons out there to be put on the water. Can we start a roll call if you are planning on attending and what you plan to bring?

Each boat would have to have a 2013 Safety inspection sticker, and will be inspected Saturday morning again to insure seaworthiness and that all safety items are working in proper order. If you have something and are not an APBA member, we still can get you on the water with a single event membership.

If we get enough interest, there is the chance for a low entrance fee and better yet, the chance to get out on the water.

Also, I am going to insure that this event is livestreamed, and Saturday night is the heritage days for the village of Grass Lake, so what better way to support the village than some heritage boats on the water?

Final details to be announced soon, but we need to start a roll call so I can figure the classes.

Deck Racing will have 1 Switzercraft runabout with either a KG4, KG7, or 20H!

Please respond with engine, boat and class.
    When it comes to boat racing and the wife, it's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is permission, and of course I spent a number of nights sleeping on the couch!

bump bump

Hey moving this up a notch to see if we have any interest.
    Our tentative plan is to race 1 heat of runabout and 1 heat of hydros on both days based on the number of entries.

Again, here is an excellent opportunity to show not only Region 6, but the rest of the nation these classics.

PM if you want some more details.
    MD
    When it comes to boat racing and the wife, it's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is permission, and of course I spent a number of nights sleeping on the couch!

Comment

I'd love to try to come up with my 20H/Rinker, but my flying schedule probably won't permit. 3 airplanes and down to two pilots keeps me busier than I want to be. But don't count us out, yet. Mike Raceboat 61-S

Comment

What constitutes a stock classic. Are there certain years for the boats and motors.

Comment

Per the APBA rule book, any "previously approved Stock Outboard engine that has been out of production for at least 25 years". As of 2013 this would include all of the racing versions of Fifty's era green tank Mercury's, the mid Sixties Mark series like 20, 30, 55 "H" engines. The 70's series racing engines like 25 SS, Yamato 80. The 80's engines that have just become Classic include the 25 XS, OMC "A", and perhaps the 44 XS and Yamato 102? There are no boat restrictions, weight limits, or height restrictions. There may be other engines as well? Mike Raceboat 61-S

Comment

More engines....

Oh yeah, also the Champion or Swanson Hot Rods both 15 and 20 cubic inch versions.

Comment

Stock Outboard Classic Rules

Regarding an earlier post concerning Stock Outboard Classic's rules, there are regulations to be followed.

According to the Classics rules in the APBA rulebook, all Stock Outboard Safety Rules are to be followed. Stock Outboard Safety Rule #4 regulates engine heights.

Hopefully the authors of the Classics rules did not intend to create a class for boats that don't at least fit some defined regulations for weight, length, width, bottom or airtrap configuration, etc. as suggested in the earlier post. Without any rules, someone will surely clamp a 44 mod on the transom of a eight foot hydro...just to see what she'll do!

One solution might be to require boats (hulls) should meet the rules in place 25 years ago. That would allow somone to build a Hal Kelly 'Airborne" or dust-off the old SidSon BSH that was hanging in the garage and have the opportunity to run them at an APBA event.

The other easy solution is to use the balance of the current S.O. rules. Only the engine would have its own regulations. Unfortunately, followed to the letter of the law, the owner of that 50 year old SidSon hydro would have to round-off the 'fork tips if he wanted to run his classic boat and motor at an APBA event..an unlikely event...which diminishes the "concourse" appeal suggested in the class activities.

I realize this can't be adjudicated at this time...but it would seem worthy of discussion prior to the Annual Meeting.

Joe Schulte

Comment

Working...
              X