Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My deepest appreciation to the racing community.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My deepest appreciation to the racing community.

An open letter to all who showed concern and support.

Dear friends,
    Last Memorial Day weekend while participating in the C Stock Runabout race at the TRORA John Read Memorial Regatta in Franklin, Pennsylvania I experienced a heart attack. I feel that I am lucky to be alive after this event. And I feel even more lucky and blessed to belong to an organization of people who pull together and help their fellow racers when the situation is in dire need of their generous support.
    My ordeal started with arm, chest, and jaw pain, while driving down the backstretch of the first lap. My hand slipped on the wheel when entering turn 2 and I realized something was wrong. I immediately pulled of the course and returned to the pits. The pain was not easing up in any way and I could not catch my breath. Finally after getting out of my boat and removing my gear, I decided to walk up to the ambulance and have the paramedics check me out. I must have looked very distressed because Alex Jennings noticed that I was struggling and helped me make the rest of my trek to the ambulance.
    My situation ended up being more critical than I perceived it to be. The quick thinking of the paramedic giving me a dose of chewable baby aspirin is one of the key factors of me not getting any heart muscle damage. I was transported to the hospital in Oil City, where I received excellent emergency care and I was eventually transported by life flight helicopter to my local hospital in Lake County, Ohio where there is an excellent coronary care unit. I was disheartened when my catheterization revealed that I wasn’t a candidate for the less invasive insertion of stints to open up my clogged heart arteries. A quadruple by-pass was performed and I went home from the hospital after 3 days of recovery from the surgery. My recovery is going well and I will be attending the Lakemore race in a couple of weeks. I hope to see as many of you as possible.
    And so here it is that I sit, at my computer, counting my blessings and welling up with deep emotion and gratitude to my fellow boat racing friends and families who generously donated monetary gifts, gifts of prayer, caring thoughts through email, cards, and phone calls and the help and support to my son while he packed up all of our gear for the trip home from Franklin. Thank you everyone. I am truly blessed to know all of you.

Sincerely,
    Rick Wagner Sr.

Rick I know exactly where you are coming from..You will find that every day is a blessing when you could easily not be around any more..That is one of the reasons why we are racing..It was something I had always wanted to do and after that day in 2007 I decided to do a bucket list..Plus I wanted to do something where a lot of folks were around incase this were to ever happen again..I use to go fishing by myself but not any more.

Mine was a easy fix with one stint but 20 minutes of CPR really left my chest sore for 2 months..Now we cherish every day we have together..You never know what tomorrow will bring and it is amazing how family, friends and folks you dont even know pull together to help you out.. We also carry an AED where ever we go
    Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

Glad you're doing Ok Rick...
      Roger A 68M
      Team Casual

Comment

Rick,
        Get well. We need more Ohioans racing boats. My hydro repair is going slow, but it is going. Just like you for awhile.

JCC
        Findlay

Comment

Rick, Mend quickly. I hope to see you at Grass Lake.

Best wishes
          Craig
          broccoli

Comment

Rick, so gald your doing better. Let's finish that heat soon.

Cheers,
            Sam
            87-M

Comment

Rick, So glad you make out ok buddy! We love you! Be well my Friend!
              Earl 11 J........ Dangerous when Wet Runne Craft- Earl said, " Driving a Runne Craft is like Cheating". Dude, ........ Where's My Boat!

Comment

Rick,

I am glad that your are feeling a lot better. Just know that your boat racing family is always behind you through thick and thin.
                Spencer Utman #16CE

Comment

wagner you make me proud
                  now you can sing from the bottom of your heart
                  see you in akron werners distributor of wagner boats canada

Comment

I know the feeling and so glad you acknowledged the warning signs. This happened to me 2 years ago while I was home splitting firewood. I felt almost the same symptoms and realized there was something wrong. I took two aspirin's and drove to the hospital. To my surprise I went through a quadruple by pass operation the following morning. They had me up walking that afternoon 4 hours later. Changed my diet, lost some weight and went on an exercise program and all is fine. Last week at the US Title Series race in Winonna, Minn. I ran a 5K run and finished. It was rewarding as when I went across the finish line some one yelled out "heart attack survivor" and the whole crowd cheered. Never got that much attention when winning a boat race. Any way, I know you will be fine, and maybe better than before, I know I am. You will be back racing again and in 6 months all will be healed and back to normal. ....Bob N-96

Comment

Wow!......Just glad ta have able ta hang out!!!!!!!!.......Boat rides will come!
                      100N STEVE FRENCH > Nobody can hang with my STUFF!! >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tna3B5zqHdk

SEEEEEE YAAAAAA!!............In my WAKE!! .............100N>>

Comment

Wow Rick I'm a little stunned.
                        I'm so glad you are all right.
                        Everytime I get back in my boat that you built,
                        I'm going to give a little nod that you're ok...

Be well.

Comment

Wow scary story Rick I'm glad it had a happy ending , good luck with your recovery .

CMH. 61R
                          Short Fuze Racing
                          Team Darneille
                          ALWAYS LOOKING FOR GOOD CMH PROPS FOR SALE
                          IF YOU HAVE ONE LET ME KNOW

Comment

Working...
                          X