Notes from a retired rookie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Notes from a retired rookie

Being a 55 year old rookie hydro driver.
    I promised after it was over I’d write a little post about what my experience as a driver was like, here goes. First, Cullaby. I was driving the older purple boat due to ongoing repairs with the new blue boat. I never really got comfortable with driving that boat, it always felt like it was pulling to the left, and I kept overshooting the exits to the turns, meaning I was always forcing myself to turn right, always a bad proposition. I never really got comfortable with that setup, but I did get some valuable seat time, AND nailed the start my last heat, that was pretty fun.
    At Eatonville I was able to drive the newer boat with the 1” wider cockpit, and though I don’t think it had anything to do with it, I really felt way more comfortable in that boat. I decided since the Novice C World Championship was Saturday at Eatonville I would try to give myself a little course familiarization/learn how to drive heat on Saturday. Mike and I both ran C Mod Hydro (500cc I think) on Saturday. I decided in the first heat to try driving a little more inside to see if I could handle it during Novice C, this was almost a REALLY bad decision on my part. I was in lane 3 and a boat length back going into turn 1. I figured this would be perfect, just hang there and let all the fast guys go around my outside. All seemed OK until about halfway through the turn when all of a sudden I have nothing but water in my face. It is at this point that I briefly flash to the idea “this was really a bad idea, I have NO IDEA how to react right now, oh ****”. I decided to chop the throttle and try to head inside hoping no one was there. That’s about the time I hear and feel a big impact behind me. The only thing I could think of to do then is curl up in a ball on the bottom of the boat, I had no idea what else might be coming. Turned out I was rear ended by Bob Wartinger, it took his left picklefork off and embedded the tip in our transom. The next heat we decided to go out and have fun, so Mike and I started in the back and outside and I tried to spend the next few laps following his line around the corners. On the last lap Mike decided to try my outside, and I think was a little surprised when the old guy clamped the throttle the last couple corners and beat him at the line by about a sponson tip, what a blast that was.
    In the World Championship heats I finished 3rd in my qualifier to make it to the winner take all final. I think I surprised a couple folks by slipping into lane 1 at the start of the final and getting to the line a tick late but not too bad. After the first couple corners I was able to settle into a comfortable 3rd place position and was just trying to cruise it in on the last lap when my steering tightened up to the point where I couldn’t straighten the boat out any more. I managed to limp it in for a disappointing 7th, though for a rookie even that shouldn’t be too disappointing I suppose.
    And that’s it, career over. I would say driving was equal parts fun and scary. The first time I tried driving 11 years ago I was way overweight and out of shape, and got my ass totally kicked. With me being in decent shape and weight for this go round I still was getting muscle cramps from exertion, but besides that it wasn’t bad. The harder part is staying mentally focused at the same time. I have a different perspective on my own drivers and have a slightly better idea what makes them so good. My only regret is that I didn’t start doing this 45 years ago, our kids are so **** lucky. If I was to continue driving the only way I could do it is by trying to win, meaning sticking my nose up there in the mix all the time, and I think my first C mod heat proved that’s not really a great idea. Aside from the fact that I jacked up my neck again in the crash, I don’t want to put other guys in a dangerous position because I don’t know what I’m doing. Besides, spending drivers meeting hanging out with a bunch of drivers sucks, I am reclaiming that as my time with my crew chief boys.
    Thanks to everyone that helped make my little adventure possible,

Tony (NC7)
    Moby Grape Racing
    "Fast Boats Driven Hard"

It was fun

It was fun watching u race. I thought your mom was gonna beat the crap out of at Cullaby...but noooo! If you want to take the mighty d stock out you can. Dave

Comment

11 yrs. rookie?

Sounds like you are had a great time, ain't it cool to have exprd. the ride?

Comment

Nice career mate you went through it all .

CMH. 61R
        Short Fuze Racing
        Team Darneille
        ALWAYS LOOKING FOR GOOD CMH PROPS FOR SALE
        IF YOU HAVE ONE LET ME KNOW

Comment

Tony, it's guys like you are the reason our region is doing well. Example: 22 entries for one of the Yamato classes at Cullaby. You make it fun and are always wiling to lend a hand. It was sure neat to watch you at your turn behind the wheel. Awesome!
          Sean Byrne

Comment

Don't put the retired stamp on yourself too quick! I thought I was done once, made it a day short of a year before jumping back in an 1100R at yelm as an emergency driver. We will probably see you out there from time to time. Of course just "to see what the changes feel like", or "gain some product knowledge", you know the " what the hell are you talking about, the steering is fine, and so is the clock!"

You looked good though!

Comment

You are too young to quit. I am running at 68 and started at 60, that's why I call myself krazy karl, too old to be doing this at this age. I may not run A anymore, too stiff to get this old body into that small cockpit. However I talked to Darrell last weekend about plans for a Jackel. But still running the "C" and these are runabouts. So stay with it, if I can do it so can you.
              kk

Comment

It's not an age thing

My hat is off to all the more mature drivers that are out there racing, you guys are awesome, and it was great watching Karl run down at Orrovillle. I know physically (aside from my neck) and mentally I could handle it no problem, the problem is I would become totally hooked if I kept doing it, and I don't have the resources to feed another addiction. Moby Grape Racing ran 14heats on Saturday, that's a lot of entry fees, chaos, and mostly work.I had a boat malfunction during the racing caused by crew chief error, but I didn't have anyone to blame since the crew chief was me. As we all know drivers need someone besides themselves to blame when they do badly, that seems to be a role I'm better suited to

Originally posted by krazy karl View Post
                You are too young to quit. I am running at 68 and started at 60, that's why I call myself krazy karl, too old to be doing this at this age. I may not run A anymore, too stiff to get this old body into that small cockpit. However I talked to Darrell last weekend about plans for a Jackel. But still running the "C" and these are runabouts. So stay with it, if I can do it so can you.
                kk
                Moby Grape Racing
                "Fast Boats Driven Hard"

Comment

Originally posted by propnuts View Post
                  My hat is off to all the more mature drivers that are out there racing, you guys are awesome, and it was great watching Karl run down at Orrovillle. I know physically (aside from my neck) and mentally I could handle it no problem, the problem is I would become totally hooked if I kept doing it, and I don't have the resources to feed another addiction. Moby Grape Racing ran 14heats on Saturday, that's a lot of entry fees, chaos, and mostly work.I had a boat malfunction during the racing caused by crew chief error, but I didn't have anyone to blame since the crew chief was me. As we all know drivers need someone besides themselves to blame when they do badly, that seems to be a role I'm better suited to
                  That is the truth Tony.. You also forgot that they always want more speed to!!
                  Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

Working...
                  X