2008 Wc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2008 Wc

I have received word from Fred Hauenstein that the UIM has awarded the USA the WC in 125, 175, & 250 in 2008. Now the work begins. We are planning for the race to be held in central Fl. in mid October. More information posted as it becomes available. Ralph
    RWD

UIM Rules

Ralph, I assume that all boats in those classes will have to conform to the UIM cockpit and sponson tip rules even when they race here in the USA?
    Last edited by Composite Specialties; 05-30-2007, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Wc 2008

Yes Mark, All UIM rules will apply. I will post the differences later, when I can locate my UIM rule book.
      RWD

Comment

Boat Orders

Mark,

You and the other builders should find yourselves very, very busy!!!

This could be one hell of an event.
        David Weaver

Comment

2007 UIM Rules

I have found the link to the 2007 UIM Rulebook for anyone that needs to see what they have to do to be complient for the 2008 worlds.

http://www.uimpowerboating.com/vsite...v-list,00.html

The following boats are already UIM complient for the UIM worlds:

David Mitchell's 250cc/350cc boat
          Mark Stahl's 250cc/350cc boat
          Davey Augustine's 250cc boat
          Bill Allens's 125cc and 250cc boat (Composites sides only, not the sponson tips)
          Zack Maloit's 250cc/350cc boat
          Mark Johnson's 125cc boat
          Tim Small's 125cc/175cc Euro boat

There are probably more, I am only aware of these.
          Last edited by Composite Specialties; 05-31-2007, 07:30 AM.

Comment

Potential 2008 Rules

Just to add to what Ralph and Marc have mentioned...

At the last UIM General Assembly there was talk about introducing some of the rules that are currently in force in other (pro) outboard classes - such as 0-250, 0-350 and OSY - into the 0-125 and 0-175 classes. The particular rules in question related to reinforced cockpit sides and I think also minimum weights were also discussed and possibly rounded sponson tips too (there's a thread on HR somewhere which discussed these potential rule changes)

Actually if you read the 2007 rule book, the reinforced cockpit sides is specifically mentioned for 0-125 and 0-175 from 1/1/2008

I just want to give you guys the heads up about these (possible) changes that will effect boats that are running in the Worlds in 2008.

If I were in the situation of building a new hull, or modifyng an existing one, for 0-125, 0-175 I'd play it safe by looking at the rules that apply to the other pro classes and adopting these also - in my mind it's only a matter of time before they are also introduced in the lower cc classes

As far as the 0-250 class is concerned, the rules have been pretty stable for the last few seasons and I've not heard any rumours of changes in the pipeline, so you can be pretty safe applying the 2007 rule book in my mind

One other rule that may impact racers at the Worlds is noise - all of our pipes run mufflers in Europe so you may have to get out your db meter to see if you are under the UIM limit. I know that when Ralph and Billy (Allen) raced at last year's World 0-125 they used muffled pipes, in fact looking at the photos from Depue, I see that Billy still uses them!

Naturally, if anyone needs any help with the rules, understanding what they mean, what impact they'll have, I'm more than happy to help as best I can as we've been living with these rules in Europe now for quite sometime

Best regards

Corin
            Last edited by Corin_Huke; 05-31-2007, 07:51 AM. Reason: Correction

Comment

Ralph Donald

Ralph,

You've outdone yourself again. What a cool and great venue for the US. Three UIM World Championships in one.

You have done a lot for Pro Outboard Racing in the US and Boat Racing in Total for the US.

Thanks from all us Boat Racers.

sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Originally posted by David Weaver View Post
                Mark,

You and the other builders should find yourselves very, very busy!!!

This could be one hell of an event
                David it will, guaranteed!
                APBA Region 5 Dive/Rescue

Comment

FOR ALL OF THE DRIVERS THAT WOULD LIKE TO BRING THEIR BOATS UP TO UIM SPECS YOU CAN DO IT FOR ABOUT $200.00 IN MATERIALS THATS WITH kEVLAR AND THE WEST SYSTEM . HAVE ALREADY DONE ONE WITH TOM CRONK AND THAT WAS THE COST. SO NO NEED TO BUY A NEW BOAT WHEN YOU CAN FIX YOURS.
                  BILL HOSLER

Comment

Uim Rules

Bill, The cost of supplies is not the problem for most older boats. The main problem I see is that most drivers dont have the throttle inside of the boat. When you put the throttle inside, the driver cannot fit because most cockpits were 15 to 17 inches wide till recently. Then you add the thickness of the carbon sides and you have a big problem. I thinK uim NEEDS to bend a little for these championships. At least for 125 and 175.

Comment

Throttles

Tim

Check with Billy Allen, who raced in the 125 Worlds in Auronzo, Italy last year. If my memory is correct, Billy has a throttle on the outside of the cockpit and he raced, and passed technical inspection, with no problems whatsoever. I was at the meeting helping out Billy, so I think I'd have heard if there was a big issue with this

Ok, I appreciate that the reinforced cockpit rule was not in place for 125, 175 at the time, but personally I don't believe that it's an issue when it comes to the UIM rule book - clarification needs to be sought as there is a section in the rules that talks about cockpit sides for kneelers, which have cut outs in the cockpit sides

Corin
                      Last edited by Corin_Huke; 06-04-2007, 10:18 AM. Reason: Update

Comment

I think Bill may have to move the throttle inside.
                        I'll check.

P.S. Corin, are you coming across the pond, mate?

Twisted
                        Twisted Sister

Comment

Originally posted by L. Allen View Post
                          I think Bill may have to move the throttle inside.
                          I'll check.

P.S. Corin, are you coming across the pond, mate?

Twisted
                          After my posting I searched through the UIM rule book for 'throttle' and I can finding nothing that states that this needs to be inside the cockpit when it comes to hydros, so I'm fairly confident that it's not an issue

Laurie - I will let you know after the weekend, as it's the World 250 in Janikowo in Poland. If we win it, the least we can do is defend it the following year!!! Keep your eyes on www.formulaseries.net for news of events!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Small View Post
                            I think uim NEEDS to bend a little for these championships. At least for 125 and 175.
                            My thoughts also Tim. I would love to attend the worlds and have no problem rounding my sponson tips. But I do not want to have to reinforce my current boats cockpit sides. It is already to tight of a fit for my fat butt. If I had the $$$ I would have no problem having a new boat built for the Worlds to UIM rules. But that is out of the question for me right now.

Mark
                            Mark
                            G-11
                            125H
                            When the green flag drops, the bull**** stops!!!!!!!!!!!
                            Keep'em Sunny Side Up Boy's!

[

Comment

Corin,
                              I remember the throttle being somewhat of an issue. Maybe it was just a topic of discussion.
                              Anyway, BEST OF LUCK to you guys in Poland! I'll keep my fingers crossed.
                              Only if just to see you on American soil.
                              XOXOXO
                              Laurie
                              Twisted Sister

Comment

Working...
                              X