Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Speed Records from Lake Windermere in UK

Hi Guys

Some of you may already be aware that traditionally this time of the year in the UK we have a records week in the North of England in the Lake District (close by to where Donald Campbell set his water speed world records)

This year there was a new 0-125 record set by Wayne Turner using a GRM engine and boat built by Lucas of Germany. The speed was an impressive 73.48 mph over the measured distance

This record is being lauded as a new UIM World Record, but I know that you guys in the US have your own (APBA?) records for speed/distance

Do you know what the US record top speed is for the 0-125 pro hydro class?

Even if it isn't the highest speed ever achieved, it's still pretty impressive for a young guy (I think he's 17 or 18) who has only just started racing boats in 2004!!

Also there was another UIM World record for the F500 class of 104.36mph by Paul Hart. Now I know that you guys have gone quicker than this in your 0-500 pro hydro class - isn't it Sean McKean that holds the record at present?

For more information see www.lobmbc.co.uk web site - News section

Regards

Corin

Hey Doris,

I was wondering what was happening. Windermere in october..brrrrrr. The APBA record for 125 is 76.184 MPH set by John Stevens in 1982. The note in our reference book indicates that it is a world record and may already have UIM recognition. Here, I dont think its a case of no one being able to go faster, I think no one has gone to a kilo run to try. They always seem to be on the west coast, a good 6000 mile round trip for most. In 1982 I think John was about 18. Most of us started 125 at about 13-14 years old. I think Chris Hellsten started when he was old enough to hold a tow rope(comment based on the nature of early 125 engines, not Hellsten equipment).
    " It's a sad day when you've outgrown everything"
    Art Pugh

Comment

Working...
    X