European Safety Equipment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• European Safety Equipment

I was wondering what the European safety equipment rules are for outboards. Perhaps all of Europe races by U.I.M. rules? Are the safety items that are worn by the Euro drivers legal for use in the US?

Talk to Billy Allen.
    !"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Comment

I have seen their helmets, lifejackets and uniforms up close. Most reciently, at the Lake Alfred race in October. Their uniforms don't look as bulky and stiff. Same thing with the lifejackets- not a bulky. I was wondering if anyone had more knowledge about APBA vs. U.I.M. safety rules? I still like the look and feel of those old Gentex lifejackets!
      Last edited by B1PRORACER; 01-26-2011, 06:47 PM. Reason: addition

Comment

The Europeans follow UIM rules regarding safety equipment. Which basically states your personal safety equipment is the drivers responsibility. Except for color and general condition. Some countries have special rules, but in general....they follow UIM guidelines.

Comment

Thanks..... I was wondering as I poked around at Lake Alfred. I didn't ask at that time, because I was busy with my son's racing... and visiting.... and talking.......

Comment

what about bob?

http://bobwartinger.com/

He has answers!
            Kyle Bahl
            20-R

"He didn't bump you, he didn't nudge you, he rubbed you, and rubbin' son is racin'!"

Comment

Safety......

I know Bob has all the answers.... I seem to have a problem with all of the safety mandating. I ran alot of races for a lot of years and never really got hurt. We only had the minimal amount of safety equipment and that worked. Our sport can be very dangerous and in some situations nothing will keep you from serious injury. Sometimes what we think is good protection probably isn't! For example- a nice idea was put on this site for some race shoes. This was thought to be inappropriate by someone else that showed a pair of chainsaw boots. For many years we have seen some people wear heavy leather boots while racing. I have wondered what heavy footwear would do to your knees and hips in a high speed crash. The added weight to the ends of your legs. The idea with helmets has been to make them lightweight to lessen neck injuiries... why not shoes? You can't write rules and mandate equipment that will keep everyone safe at all times. I don't believe we need Ironman suits... and I hope we don't all need capsules.

Comment

Working...
              X