Interesting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting

It has been brought to my attention about changing the date for next years Worlds to give European teams enough time to ship there equipment to Florida in time for the event. There is a poll on the Formula Series site that expresses a change of date to late Oct 08. Attached is screen shot of results.
    Mike
    Attached Files
    APBA Region 5 Dive/Rescue

World Championship Dates

Mike,

I believe that the dates have officially been changed to October 24-26. The change in date is to accomodate the shipment of racing equipment from Europe to the USA, following the conclusion of the "O" racing in Europe. Hopefully, this accomdation will encourage significant particpation by the European teams.

As soon as the venue is confirmed, we can all begin to build-up this event. If it is anything like the World Championships in Lakeland (1993 250 and 500) or Cypress Gardens (1998? 350 and 700) the race should be a rare motorsport spectacle. The races in Lakeland during 1993 were some of the most exciting, breath taking races that I have ever witnessed. There were something like 40 250's entered and 50 500's. THe 500 elimination heats were simply "hold your breath" affairs. Nothing but adrenaline run wild.....

The 350 races at Cypress Garden were a transition point for PRO racing. Clearly the Konigs had been outdated by new engines coming out of Italy. We saw the first Rossi's and we got a glimpse of the near future. Within 2 years, the Rossi's would rise to dominate. This was either an official or unofficial WC for the 125's and thus became a launching pad for one of the fastest growing "O" classes. Soon after, factory built 125's would become available and the class participation exploded in the US and Europe.

The 2008 event should be another thriller. In 1998, we learned that our US style boats were not competitive in 350, especially with the rough water conditions. It will be interesting to see how the US drivers adapt their equipment for this event. And the exchange of ideas is always a positive for the sport.

There is plenty of time for averyone to purchase or build a rig!!
    David Weaver

Comment

Working...
    X